Freeview HD PVR - Philips / Pace HDT 8520

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, having used the box a bit longer now, I'm ready to list the bugs I've seen personally. I would state first and foremost though, virtually all of these are pretty minor in my opinion and I'd still recommend this. I've not yet missed a single recording and, although the football I recorded was cut off at the end (just a bit of the analysis, not the match I'd hastily point out), everything else has worked perfectly. I've also had no crashes at when watching normal TV - the core functionaility is working and it's working well.

However, others on the "certain other forum" have listed a lot more issues that I personally haven't seen. I guess I'm just lucky!

Anyway, as promised, firstly, here's my bug list:

1. Using Series Link can cause confusion since re-runs on +1 channels also show up as to be recorded. The easiest way to explain this is to show in pictures. Here's The EPG showing Glee on E4 next week, you can also see the repeat of it on E4+1:

Pressing OK gives us the option to record, I'm going to select to record the Series:

With this done, you can now see the Glee episode I wanted has been highlighted to record, but so has the repeat on E4+1:

Now so far, even though it looks like both shows are going to record, I've found that actually, only the programme I originally wanted has recorded and not the repeat. Hopefully this will continue! But, it does add a bit of confusion to the proceedings.

2. Single recordings that have been scheduled (i.e. those not set through Series Link) still appear in the Timers list once they have been recorded. Again, easiest way to demonstrate is with pictures. Look at the following recordings:

Note the Date, Start and End times for the "Capitalism: A Love Story" entry (and the Description which seems an odd one for the title!). Now compare this with:

How strange the International Football has exactly the same Date, Start and End times and also the same Description! However, both were recorded at the weekend on single schedule recordings - so why are they still there and set to record again at the same time?! Now look at this picture of a Series link recording of Dr Who:

It shows the same Date, Start and End time for the above two recordings which have already taken place and also the same wrong Description! Looking at the EPG for this date and time however shows this:

So we can see that Dr Who is actually set to record correctly in the EPG at least! So all very confusing if you're going to be trying to keep stock of what is and what isn't set to record in your Timers list - not something I do personally, but could be a deal breaker for someone.

3. The Schedule List can appear to become corrupt. Again, pictures should show us this. Let's look at the Glee recording I've just set up:

Arghhh! It's the same Date, Start and End time and Description as our recordings above! But again, the EPG is still showing Glee to be recording. And again, I've not had a missed recording yet, so everything is working, it's just all very muddled!

4. There is a slight glitch in audio when you press Play after fast forwarding or rewinding through a recording. It lasts for about a second and then audio returns to normal. This is as it sounds, so not really an issue IMHO, but some people seem to be annoyed by it on the other forum, so I'll list it for those who may be sensitive to that kind of thing.

5. All recordings are set to Protected by default i.e. if the box begins to run out of space, it will record over unprotected recordings. This is a good idea to me and means that I can unprotect items as I watch them and keep them for a while wihtout having to delete them straight away to ensure there is enough free space. However, to delete a recording, you therefore have to press the Blue button to unprotect a recording, then the red button to delete it. Once you've done this, the next recording is selected, but you cannot then unprotect or delete this recording without first moving selecting another recording and then reselecting it. It's definitely a bug, but again, it's hardly the worst thing in the world and those with Harmony remotes can set up a sequence to handle this should they routinely need to delete multiple items.

6. There is a random HDCP message when changing resolutions between HD and SD sources:

It only flashes up for a second, but is especially prevalent if you have the resolution set to Original since it happens on every occurrence of switching between and SD and an HD channel. For me, it's a non-issue - I have the box set to 1080i as, from my testing so far, this actually gives the best picture i.e. the box is upscaling but the TV is deinterlacing. Also, even if you do use Original resolution, this message literally flashes up for a second, nothing more, then everything is okay. It's similar to the Sky HD issue I've read about I think where there is a flash as the TV moves from one resolution to another - it bothers some people though so worth listing here.

7. On one recording, I've nocticed the red light has not come on to indicate the box is recording. This could be a worry as, if you're looking you may think the box has missed a recording (as I did). However, on investigating, it was recording the programme fine, it was just the red light hadn't come on for some reason.

8. On one recording so far, I've had the echoey sound issue when recording from BBC HD. This fault has been common to virtually all Freeview HD boxes though as it seems to be something within the BBC HD broadcast so can't be blamed on the Philips box.

9. The box can't currently output 5.1 sound. Again, this is an issue that's affecting all Freeview HD boxes so can't be blamed on the Philips. However, unlike other boxes, there is specific mention in the manual that "the Auto and Dolby Digital settings on HDMI and S/PDIF are not recommended until your HD recorder has been updated with the appropriate software" - this very much suggests this problem is going to be sorted with a firmware update at some point. According to what I've read, this is down to the broadcasters changing their mind on what format 5.1 sound is going to be sent in via Freeview HD and manufacturers are now having to struggle to update to meet this standard.

That's it on the bugs, now's here's my own personal list of improvements to the functionality of the box I'd like to see implemented:

1. Let us jump straight to channels from the EPG - for goodness sake, this is so obvious it beggars belief it's not there!

2. Padding - the option to pad a recording by 5 - 10 minutes to ensure you don't miss the end. This would work in tandem with the Accurate Recording system, but also add an extra however many minutes you choose. Okay, only one item has not worked with Accurate Recording, but this would be a nice one to have for those essential recordings.

3. Some indication of how much space / recording time is left in the EPG and Timers list. At the moment, you have to go into Settings, then Set-up then HDD Information:

4. More EPG improvements such as being able to press Channel Up or Channel Down to page up and down the list (currently you can only use the directional arrows to navigate up and down). Also, either have a small picture in the top of the EPG with sound so you can still see the program, or make the EPG transparent so picture can still be seen and sound still heard on the programme.

5. HDD Library - would be good if some indication as to whether a programme has been watched or not e.g. by a change of colour of the text.

That's it for me - if all of these things were sorted, I'd be very happy with the box. As it is, I'm just happy. I have reported these bugs to Philips and they have emailed back that there is an upgrade coming in July. However, I also chatted with one of their support people through the website before I got the email as well who said that an update was due to early to mid June! I have sent an email back to them to ask clarification on who's actually correct so we shall see!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Fraz1:
can someone also tell me how you would update the box with a firmware update? I used to have a humax pvr and updates were downloaded over the airwaves, but firmware update appears to be different. Anyone shed any light? ta.

Hi Fraz - this would be done with a USB sitck. You download the update from the website, unzip the file onto a USB stick and then insert it into the USB port on the box and choose the software update section through the Settings menu. More information on page 31 of the manual.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
IMR:Thanks for the review, I purchased one from John Lewis on the 29/05/10 & set it up with ease. I agree the picture quality is good, better than through my Sony TV's onboard Freeview tuner. However I cannot set scheduled or instant recording (although pausing live TV does work). I select a show through the EPG & press record but nothing happens, no red light, no red shading on the EPG) Gone to factory reset & searched for software update but nothing !

Definintely something wrong with the box if this is the case - as suggested, try formatting the drive, doing a factory reset and see if this helps. If not, definitely take the box back for a replacement.

A

Anonymous

ok professor hat, nice job on the review and thanks for firmware info. Keep us updated with what philips say please. I suspect all the boxes will be buggy to start. the sagem com that just came out has been recalled already apparently .Not due for release now until mid june.i bet the humax has issues too.

A

Anonymous

yeah, also looking forward to any info regarding an update etc.

love this box for it's overall performance, looks like pace made/designed a quality box and unfortunately philips just didn't have time to finish the software-i think we're the beta testers lol. once these niggles are sorted i think the box will be awesome!

*couple of bugs i've noticed: even without selecting 'series link' it recorded a couple of programmes twice!! weird, but no biggy! as mentioned before tho, maybe since freeviewHD+ is so new it could be that the wrong info is being actually being sent to the epg's?!

when playing back recorded material the rewind funtion is horrible!! pic freezes after a while whilst the timer is not synchronized with the pic etc. forward does work well tho!!

A

Anonymous

I picked up a machine on Sunday after ordering via john Lewis website and doing a click and collect (again despite the very helpful call centre staff on the telephone number the website gives out knowing nothing about the item being in stock). If you want to find it on their website the stock code is 858 18160. Comet also appears to have small numbers of stock coming through.

Set everything up fine and the box looks great as well as the picture / sound. one issue which I've had several times is the sound just disappears. originally this was down to me changing the digital audio output to auto but after reading the manual I set it back which appeared to sort it. however, the sound will now just cut out and i can't figure out why. It seemed to resolve itself overnight after being turned to standby mode but again it happened mid morning - i can't help but think it appears to be linked when the HDMI resolution changes and you get that error message on screen.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing or know how to fix it...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay got the following email from Philips (this was actually less than an hour after I asked so have to say I'm impressed with how quickly Philips have come back to me on my queries):

I am happy to confirm the details of the software release for your digital receiver.

I have just spoken to our technical support team who have confirmed that the upgrade will be made available in early July.

I can appreciate that this would be after the world cup, Wimbledon and Glastonbury, which is one of the main reasons that you have purchased the PVR recorder, however I would like to assure you that we are doing everything possible to have this upgrade developed and released as soon as possible.

When the upgrade is available it will be displayed on the front page of the support page for this model at the link below, under heading software and drivers. This will be on the main page.

We are currently advising customers to keep a not of this link and to check it regularly for when the upgrade is available as this will allow customers to download the upgrade, without having to contact customer services.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=HDT8520/05&slg=en&scy=GB

I do hope that our quick response has helped to assure you that we are dedicated to providing the best customer service that we can, and that we are monitoring the situation and any feedback that we receive to help speed up the process of developing the upgrade.

Please be assured, that we are doing everything possible to ensure that the upgrade for your unit is developed and released as soon as it is available and I do hope that closer to the time the upgrade can be released before the estimated time.

Thank you again for contacting Philips UK using your reference number <removed>, and if you do need to contact us again for further information we will be happy to help you.

Kind Regards,
Cassandra
Philips Customer Care

So, not what I wanted to hear, but it does seem that Philips are very aware of the issues and are really working on getting them all sorted out for this update, hence the delay to it. Good news in some ways I think as it's better to delay the update now and get things right rather than release something early and find it doesn't fix the issues or worse, makes things even worse!

antmanc:one issue which I've had several times is the sound just disappears. originally this was down to me changing the digital audio output to auto but after reading the manual I set it back which appeared to sort it. however, the sound will now just cut out and i can't figure out why. It seemed to resolve itself overnight after being turned to standby mode but again it happened mid morning - i can't help but think it appears to be linked when the HDMI resolution changes and you get that error message on screen.

I've seen one other person report an issue with this and he's said he's fixed it by connecting the box up via analogue outputs rather than HDMI. Far from ideal I'll agree but worth seeing if this works and then reporting it to Philips if it does. I'd also try using the optical and coxail outputs if you can and see how they work. It hasn't affected me or anyone else as far as I'm aware. However, the guy who had the issue had it with his first box and the replacement one he got as well which suggests it may be an incompatabilty with certain equipment or possibly just an unlucky bug - hard to say I'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

Also - check this twitter linky......

*edit*

I should add that my experience of Phillips CC is also great, even for a failed baby feeding bottle with no receipt. They asked for it back and sent me 2 in return.

*edit, edit* my CC mail also came from "Cassandra" Maybe a pseudonym.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just on the good news side again, checking out the picture of the HD versions of Mary Poppins and North by Northwest that have been on and it really is fantastic for a TV broadcast - this is the reason I got the box and it looks fabulous!

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Fraz1:

can someone also tell me how you would update the box with a firmware update? I used to have a humax pvr and updates were downloaded over the airwaves, but firmware update appears to be different. Anyone shed any light? ta.

Hi Fraz - this would be done with a USB sitck. You download the update from the website, unzip the file onto a USB stick and then insert it into the USB port on the box and choose the software update section through the Settings menu. More information on page 31 of the manual.

ok, time to show my computer illiteracy again, do i need any software to unzip the file before putting onto memory stick? The rest sounds straightforward enough so cheers for that. Most helpful.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip professorhat. I swapped the hdmi over for a scart cable and it corrected the problem. However, this meant that the epg, volume control in fact any of the on-screen options disappeared despite pressing the remote! Plus after such a short space of time I can't go back to the bog standard picture quality - the philips box has got me hooked. After fiddling back with the hdmi it seems to be working OK again so will keep an eye on it and hope that this software update corrects any issues.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Fraz1:ok, time to show my computer illiteracy again, do i need any software to unzip the file before putting onto memory stick? The rest sounds straightforward enough so cheers for that. Most helpful.

What operating system are you using? If it's Windows XP, Vista or 7 and you won't need any extra software. Windows 2000 and before, you might need to download the trial version of Winzip, but I'm guessing that's pretty unlikely these days
emotion-1.gif

antmanc:Thanks for the tip professorhat. I swapped the hdmi over for a scart cable and it corrected the problem. However, this meant that the epg, volume control in fact any of the on-screen options disappeared despite pressing the remote! Plus after such a short space of time I can't go back to the bog standard picture quality - the philips box has got me hooked. After fiddling back with the hdmi it seems to be working OK again so will keep an eye on it and hope that this software update corrects any issues.

Actually, mine did this for the first time today so looks like another bug - I found that powering off the box and powering on again fixed it. Only done it once and I've watched a lot of stuff on it so hopefully this won't be a common issue as, like you, I'm quite hooked on the HD picture now, especially for the two England games we've had so definitely going to keep it for the World Cup.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have just read that Pace bigwigs have been over to the UK from France yesterday to look at the issues with the box which were presented to them by a website doing a review (Pace make the software which runs on the box, even though it is branded as Philips). All of the issues I've listed here are certainly now known to them and Pace have a roadmap of releasing two patches in the imminent future, one in July and one in September. Hopefully, this might lead to some more information on what is being fixed and when.

There's two ways of looking at this - you could say all of this should have been done during the testing process of the box and it's outrageous it was released in the condition it was in. I can certainly see this point of view. On the other hand, I think it does demonstrate quite clearly Pace's commitment to fixing all these issues and I genuinely believe most of them are a surprise - it just doesn't make commercial sense to release such a buggy (and inconsistent) PVR and then face all the bad press this is going to garner. They also could of just carried on as per normal, fingers in ears, and not communicating. However, with the above visit, I think it shows they certainly seem to be taking the users' concerns very seriously. I guess we'll find out in July!

Be interesting what you find out today, Clare.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Nothing to add to the conclusions of your own excellent research, Prof. This definitely seems a case where Pace are driving the technology end of things, rather than Philips.

A

Anonymous

Prof,

I like you took the plunge and purchased the Philips box at the earliest opportunity in order to satisfy my insatiable desire not to miss the World Cup in HD. I was braced for the fact that the box would not be the finished article and would require 'bugs' being ironed out in the future. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed! Totally agree with your review and assessment of the box, the performance of the HD pictures through the Philips is superb (and the only reason I'm persevering with it), whereas the functionality and glitches with the HDD recorder go from annoying and inconvenient to blood boiling profanity ridden insanity! anyway, in addition to the snags you've identified I wondered if you (or any other brave owners of the HDT8520!) have encountered any of the following like me:

Set recorder to record a programme on the HD channel only, only to find it has also recorded the SD version of the programme. this can cause another scheduled recording to be omitted if the SD and HD programme are on at the same time. also after setting the recorder for a HD programme I go back to the settings at a later date to find the Recording schedule to now be set for the SD version and not my original HD setting.
Lip sync problems with HD recordings. Sound out of sync with picture. Use the Fforward function and this can sometimes 'jog' the sound back in time! Not experienced this on any SD recordings though.
Sound sometimes disappears when returning from the HDD screen back to watching live tv. Change channels and hey presto the sound is back!

Thoughts or like minded stories welcome!!

Nick

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, after a couple more weeks use, I have seen a few SD recordings as well as the HD recordings on a few instances (very few though, maybe 2 or 3). So far, I haven't had any issue with conflicting recordings like you say, neither have I had a scheduled HD recording be set to record just the SD version. However, when you set something to record on one of the HD channels which is simulcast on the SD channel both show up as being set to record (e.g. I set a program on ITV1 HD to record, then move up the EPG and can see the program is also scheduled to record on ITV1). Is that what you mean? Although this happens, I've only ever had the HD version record and have not had any conflicting issues recording another channel.

Link to Picture showing program being set to record on ITV HD.

Link to Picture showing program is also scheduled to record on ITV1.

Haven't seen any lip synch issues on any recordings. I have my box connected up via digital coaxial to my AV amp at the moment (until they get multichannel PCM exporting over HDMI, I find this gives a better sound so am sticking with this).

Last night, I first experienced no sound when returning from HDD screen to live TV. As you say, changing channels and back again fixes this.

The good news from my perspective is, as a PVR the box is still performing flawlessly for me - not one missed recording. Accurate Recording has also worked perfectly as well. I wonder whether this is because I'm not messing around with it like others are. I know the box's foibles (like the mess that is the Timers screen) so just leave it well alone and plan all my recordings through the EPG, which is much easier anyway. I use my iPhone's Freeview HD app to see what's on to avoid the annoyance of not being able to jump straight to a channel through the EPG, and this is good anyway since the app tells me if a program is actually HD or just upscaled SD - definitely recommended.

My gut feeling is, those people with the issues are the type that continually try and force the box to do things it can't at the moment (because of the bugs) and end up winding themselves up into a frenzy! I can't blame them entirely, sure, it cost £300, it should work, but the fact is it doesn't quite yet, and a fix is on the way. Getting all angry about it isn't going to get you anywhere - a little patience is required.

In the meantime, I'll be enjoying lots of HD football in a couple of days whilst those with no patience and have returned it will be watching it all in SD. Which for the ITV matches I'd imagine will be a pretty horrendous experience
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

Prof,

Thanks for the response.

In answer to your question, my issue with the EPG recording both an SD and HD version of the same programme is not just a 'visual display' error with the EPG page. I have had a couple of instances where the box was set to record Springwatch (series) on BBCHD only and when you went into the HDD Springwatch folder it had both the BBCHD and BBC2 programmes. then if I went back to the scheduled recordings page, my BBCHD Springwatch (series) settings had miraculously changed to the BBC2 programmes!

With regards to the sound lip sync issues, I also have a digital coaxial into my AV amp. If it was a set-up issue, I would expect it to occur for both SD and HD recordings. As it is, it appears to exclusively HD recordings (but not all!).

I've also found the Accurate Recording system to be more like 'Not So Accurate' and have experienced recordings being clipped both at the start and also end. this has occured when there has not been either a preceeding or following scheduled recording, so it is a little frustrating to understand!

Having said all that, I expect the manufacturer to be able to sort all the design flaws and operation bugs out through progressive firmware fixes. So in the meantime, I will pacify myself with hours of fantastic HD World cup programmes..................................its a hard life!

A

Anonymous

It does but I am certainly having problems making it work. It does seem intermittent problem. Initially I had sound through HDMI through my Denon 1910 seemed fine. I noticed though coming out of the EPG sometime sound would just go away - going to stanby and back seemed to clear this - anoying though. So have tried the optical out but no joy at all there..In the menu of the 8520 it says the link is not active so I'm guessing that's why. Now I have an additional problem in the the HDMI sound seems to being passed through direct to my TV so volume on my amp does not work but TV volume seems to although it is at quite a low level..So gone massive leap backwards - just considering phoning Phillips to see if this fabled software update exists? Can't see it on their web site.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Dirac:So have tried the optical out but no joy at all there..In the menu of the 8520 it says the link is not active so I'm guessing that's why.

Yes, in the settings, you need to switch the S/PDIF output to either PCM or Dolby Digital.
Dirac:Now I have an additional problem in the the HDMI sound seems to being passed through direct to my TV so volume on my amp does not work but TV volume seems to although it is at quite a low level.

Sounds like something must have been changed on the amp to allow this - certainly won't be anything you've set on the Philips box.
Dirac:So gone massive leap backwards - just considering phoning Phillips to see if this fabled software update exists? Can't see it on their web siteDue in early - mid July as per the email I've posted a few posts earlier. Nothing on the website yet which I agree is silly - I recommended they put something up there but they've just said keep checking it.

A

Anonymous

Well my experience is similar but different...

I've had a Humax for ages and I was staggered to discover that they would miss the world cup slot. Talk about an own goal...

So I bought this nice little machine and I must say that the picture quality is really really good both in HD and SD. Recording works well; I recognise some of the foibles described in this thread but I can generally live with them.

What really annoys me however is the mega bugs on pausing and playing back programmes which are being recorded:

Let's assume I tape a footy match and also watch it. If I want to pause the programme then it leaves the live programme and goes straight at the beginning of the recorded programme (!?)

The next problem is that when one tries to move forward (say at x128) the thing crawls and crawls in not much faster than real time. It also often hangs, requiring me to physically unplug the machine. So tonight I was watching the France game, went away at half-time to eat dinner pressing Pause; never managed to get back to the right place, ended up losing 20 minutes of the second half, including a goal. Very frustrating!

This doesn't seem to happen with 'pure' live TV or with fully recorded programmes. It is as if the memory buffer for the HD wasn't big enough with the machine struggling to keep pace (no pun!)

I therefore have two questions:

1) Am I the only one experiencing this?

2) Is it a bug that will be ironed out or do I have a lemon and I should swap it for another one while I still can?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Nope - I have seen others complain of this issue, though I personally haven't seen the issue where pausing goes back to the beginnning of the programme when watching a programme that I'm also recording. I've been doing this a lot recently as well since I have scheduled all the World Cup matches to record and have also been watching most of them as well. I have seen issues with the fast forward whereby, at first, it looks like nothing is happening. However, after a few seconds, with mine, it then kicks in and works okay. So half and half on that issue.

I'd say it's worth emailing your issues into Philips / Pace - they weren't on my list since I didn't get them so I haven't complained personally. However, I'm absolutely sure they will be working on issues compared to the number of complaints they are getting (it justs makes sense). So given others have seen similar issues to you, it's worth making them known through the website (accessible here), to ensure they take notice.

What I really can't explain is what I'm doing differently not to see these issues, or whether I really am just that lucky...

A

Anonymous

just to add to the prev comments, i can confirm that my biggest problem is with rewinding recorded material. it just doesn't work well. fastforwrd works normal by rewind isn't smooth and the picture will lock up or is completly out of sync with the timer display.

everything else working ok enough til the update. has still never missed a recording and the footie looks great!! although it's a bit annoying deleting extra stuff from library as for example if i record J.Ross on BBCHD it will ALWAYS record it again on sat!!

overall still loving it and agree with prev posts that i believe some people are actually looking for problems to moan about and not leaving any time to actually watch TV lol.

TRENDING THREADS