Free THX Optimizer Glasses!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Hems:I understand. Thanks Tesco Extra Arena Park Coventry Tesco Metro jubilee Cresent Coventry

Add Tesco Coventry Walsgrave Store to the list, they were useless when I went in Wednesday could not even say if the normally stocked it or not.

If I had only got the Guest Subscription sorted I would not need to worry
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

Have mag, have glasses, have 'optimised'....!!

I was surprised that the optimisation suggested I need Contrast set at 90, seems very high....it's all relative, I suppose

Sorting out brightness, contrast and sharpness was easy, hue proved more difficult. When it comes to the blue bands you use the glasses to view, I struggled to find which settings to change to make a difference.

Q: I'm also not entirely sure what is meant by having consistent bands of blue, does this means horizontally, across the creen the hue shouldn't change, or is it about vertical consistency, such that every band is the same shade of blue????

Not surprisingly, in general, best results were achieved with all of the advanced gizmos set to 'off' !

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
timwileman:got mag ok...

but no glasses...

On subscription or bought in a shop...?

If the former, can you drop us a note of your name, address and, if poss, subscriber number at the usual address

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
timwileman:got mag ok...

but no glasses...

On subscription or bought in a shop...?

If the former, can you drop us a note of your name, address and, if poss, subscriber number at the usual address

subscription, have dropped an email as requested, cheers.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I would just check the glasses aren't tucked inside the mag, which is where they should be in subscription copies....(ie they are not stuck on cover of subs issues)

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, got the Mag but no glasses!!!? What should I do?

The Magazine was sealed in the plastic foil as it always is so no chance it fell off somewhere. Strange.... It is possible? I can see some other people had the same problem. Am I not as good customer as others ;-(

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
See my comment to Tim Wileman about emailing us above, but please do check the glasses aren't inside the magazine somewhere if you have a subscription copy, and if possible give us your subscription number

A

Anonymous

The THX spex are a nice gesture - can't even remember the last time that what hi-fi had a decent free gift with it so well done. Good though they are though I don't think you guys are giving the whole picture (
emotion-2.gif
to people with your advice on how to improve picture quality.

As I understand it optimising your TVs picture using these glasses will improve picture quality but it will only improve it in a general sense. The settings on most TVs can't be adjusted per input, only overall. So those settings will affect all the inputs, won't they? But video sources all have different picture characteristics so a DVD player will have a different balance from a Sky HD signal. Optimising the settings for one will mean that the other source is still less than perfect... you can improve the picture you still can't get it spot on.

As far as I can tell the only way that these glasses can work properly is if there is only one video source being fed to the TV. For that you need to to route your video sources via a receiver - used as a video hub - but they are still going to vary in colour balance. You still need to correct those video signals individually before they arrive at the TV.

According to Joel Silver of the Imaging Science Foundation there's only one line of AV receivers in the world that is currently capable of doing that... Onkyo's. Mr Silver says the TX-NR906 receiver (and the TX-SR876 I think) offer the ability to individually tailor tune all the video sources connected to them via the ISF calibration menu. That way you can calibrate the video sources individually, connect one HDMI video feed to the TV and then optimize the display using the THX spex and discs. There's a really instructive video where Mr Silver talks about this here...

EDITED BY MODS for house rules infringement

I might be wrong I've never seen what hi-fi mention anything about the effectiveness or need for ISF calibration in the magazine, even though you've reviewed those Onkyo receivers in the past - the reviews just talked about what you thought of the sound quality - which is an entirely subjective matter - and largely skated over useful features like this.

Looking through your ratings the ISF-capable Onkyo receivers have been given 4 star reviews despite the fact that no other makers offers such capability... is that right?
emotion-42.gif
Did you actually assess their ISF capabilities at all? Did you fully understand what they were for?

I know you have a lot on your plate producing an excellent magazine every month but video related features like ISF seem really important. If you're going to preach about the benefits of video calibration and pass judgement on the PQ of HDMI cables then perhaps you ought to spend some time advising us at how to improve things through the whole video chain - including via the receiver - not just how to optimise PQ when it's at the display.

Being able to adjust the video quality of a video source and its interconnects in something like a TX-NR906 before it gets to a display strikes me as being totally logical thing to do and something what hifi should be advocating and encouraging - couldn't it correct colour balance issues in interconnects too?

Mebbe you're reluctant to recommnd ISF calibration because if people knew they could fix anomalies in interconnects and video sources in a receiver then they might end up preferring to buy Onkyo receivers, whatever you think of their sound quality? Mebbe that's too cynical.

Whatever, I think an article about getting the best video quality though using ISF and THX calibration is an obvious thing to feature in your magazine. How about it?

A

Anonymous

"Mebbe you're reluctant to recommnd ISF calibration because if people knew they could fix anomalies in interconnects and video sources in a receiver then they might end up preferring to buy Onkyo receivers, whatever you think of their sound quality? Mebbe that's too cynical."

I don't think that is cynical, though maybe a touch illogical.[:p]

A

Anonymous

Alas still no magazine; postie has delivered stuff that was posted a couple of days ago so it's either stuck in the backlog or missing :-(

Anyone else still not received theirs?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
richardifield:
The THX spex are a nice gesture - can't even remember the last time that what hi-fi had a decent free gift with it so well done. Good though they are though I don't think you guys are giving the whole picture (
emotion-2.gif
to people with your advice on how to improve picture quality.

As I understand it optimising your TVs picture using these glasses will improve picture quality but it will only improve it in a general sense. The settings on most TVs can't be adjusted per input, only overall. So those settings will affect all the inputs, won't they? But video sources all have different picture characteristics so a DVD player will have a different balance from a Sky HD signal. Optimising the settings for one will mean that the other source is still less than perfect... you can improve the picture you still can't get it spot on.

As far as I can tell the only way that these glasses can work properly is if there is only one video source being fed to the TV. For that you need to to route your video sources via a receiver - used as a video hub - but they are still going to vary in colour balance. You still need to correct those video signals individually before they arrive at the TV.

According to Joel Silver of the Imaging Science Foundation there's only one line of AV receivers in the world that is currently capable of doing that... Onkyo's. Mr Silver says the TX-NR906 receiver (and the TX-SR876 I think) offer the ability to individually tailor tune all the video sources connected to them via the ISF calibration menu. That way you can calibrate the video sources individually, connect one HDMI video feed to the TV and then optimize the display using the THX spex and discs. There's a really instructive video where Mr Silver talks about this here...

EDITED BY MODS for house rules infringement

I might be wrong I've never seen what hi-fi mention anything about the effectiveness or need for ISF calibration in the magazine, even though you've reviewed those Onkyo receivers in the past - the reviews just talked about what you thought of the sound quality - which is an entirely subjective matter - and largely skated over useful features like this.

Looking through your ratings the ISF-capable Onkyo receivers have been given 4 star reviews despite the fact that no other makers offers such capability... is that right?
emotion-42.gif
Did you actually assess their ISF capabilities at all? Did you fully understand what they were for?

I know you have a lot on your plate producing an excellent magazine every month but video related features like ISF seem really important. If you're going to preach about the benefits of video calibration and pass judgement on the PQ of HDMI cables then perhaps you ought to spend some time advising us at how to improve things through the whole video chain - including via the receiver - not just how to optimise PQ when it's at the display.

Being able to adjust the video quality of a video source and its interconnects in something like a TX-NR906 before it gets to a display strikes me as being totally logical thing to do and something what hifi should be advocating and encouraging - couldn't it correct colour balance issues in interconnects too?

Mebbe you're reluctant to recommnd ISF calibration because if people knew they could fix anomalies in interconnects and video sources in a receiver then they might end up preferring to buy Onkyo receivers, whatever you think of their sound quality? Mebbe that's too cynical.

Whatever, I think an article about getting the best video quality though using ISF and THX calibration is an obvious thing to feature in your magazine. How about it?

Three members of our test team are ISF-trained, so we're more than up to speed on the technology and benefits of ISF calibration.

And yes, it's a more sophisticated system than THX - it's also, obviously, a far more complex and costly solution to implement.

If ISF had a system that was as accessible and affordable as THX, then of course that would be an option for giveaways etc. In the meantime, the THX Optimiser is a quick and easy way for anyone to tweak their TV.

We mention how you can take calibration further - there have been many discussions here about the ISF option on the Pioneer plasmas, for example - and the Onkyo receivers' capabilities were certainly considered.

In the latter case, however, there's no escaping that their sound quality - still the element of primary importance with an AV receiver - can be beaten for the money. If Onkyo dialled-down the bombastic tuning of their receivers, they would be back in the running.

A

Anonymous

I have been to a number of Tesco stores near the NE6 Newcastle area and the magazine is nowhere to be found.

Can you suggest a suitable store please?

Thanks.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Well, it's been trials and tribulations with US/UK post and customs... but i'm pleased to announce that....

a) All subscribers to What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision will get a free pair of THX Optimiser glasses with their next (November) issue; this applies to all overseas subscribers as well as UK. Please bear with us re receiving your issue while UK post problems blight us; UK subscribers should still have their issues before they are in shops next Wednesday.

b) Every reader buying their November issue in Tesco stores will also receive a free pair of THX glasses.

c) There's a two-page feature on getting the most from the THX Optimizer - with or without the special glasses - in that November issue.

Hi Clare & the WHF? team,

What should i do if i didn't receive a pair of THX glasses in the packet my magazine came in?

I'd appreciate your help,as these specs. would come in useful calibrating my new Pioneer plasma screen.

Regards & thanks.

BABUR.

A

Anonymous

ive gone to use my free thx optimizer glasses putting star wars into my dvd but im not getting the menus on screen that are shown in the mag any help would be appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
nessarigg:ive gone to use my free thx optimizer glasses putting star wars into my dvd but im not getting the menus on screen that are shown in the mag any help would be appreciated.

IIRC it's in the language selection menu on those discs.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Babur72:What should i do if i didn't receive a pair of THX glasses in the packet my magazine came in?

Drop us an email with your name, postal address and - if you have it - subscriber number, and well send you a replacement pair.

A

Anonymous

got my glasses put on star wars dvd ,but where do i find the menus that are shown in the mag .

A

Anonymous

I'm very pleased with mine so thanks for that. I'm now sporting a very cool PJPro type look with them as well! Bonus.

iostler

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I bought the november issue at Tesco to get the Free THX Optimizer Glasses. They were not attached to the magazine and the staff knew nothing about them. How do I go about getting them.(I have kept my receipt)

Regards

Ivan

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Having read all of this I kinda feel like a bit of a cheap git ... thing is I live here in Glasgow and the three Tesco Extra stores within 10 miles of where I live do not between them have even 1 copy in a bag with said glasses.

Have the postmen taken them to sell on ebay to raise extra cash due to striking do you think ? Looks like this 'shortage' is all over Britain ?

I do not subscribe, I am registered 'disabled' and buy the mag as often as I can and do the rest of my 'catching-up' on this site which as we all know IS pretty brill.

I am NOT looking for a freebie pair of specs, far from it ... just wondering why three extra stores do not have them ? I guess I'll do without and try rely on my eyes.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You'll probably find the issues on sale now are the December one. The glasses were with the November one, which with the Awards issue inbetween was two issues ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts