Sony KDL-40W4500 + BDP-S350 - personal review.

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Well, as some may have seen my earlier post about the package prices, I have had the TV now since Wednesday, a couple of days, and after receiving my 2x £16.99 HDMI cables, after really looking inside and out about is it really worth buying £50+ cables, I opted to believe the debate that it is not.. :)

For those who are interested i bought these http://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-maestro.php - and they are great -- I compared to one cable i had before the QED HDMI-P bought for £55 at the time - and i have to say i have seen no difference at all between the two - if there is a different the eye and ears are not that sensitive to justify paying the extra for me.. anyway back to the review..

I set the TV up yesterday properly and have looked at the whole setting and then enjoyed the picture of the TV.. I can only compare to my old 26" pani that was great already and maybe the best 26" i ever had..

Analog picture: I dont watch much of it but from what i saw it was really good for a large screen like the sony..

Digital Freeview -- WOW! Did not expect such a vibrant and sharp picture, full of like and detail. Great work from Sony with the SD picture.. Have not seen sport on it yet, but i have to say i am very impressed...

Virgin + -- It is connected by HDMI with the 720p settings as recommended here on What hi-fi - and although i thought to expect much better detail than the freeview quality it is pretty much on par with it. I was going back and forth on the same channel from SD to V+ and hardly noticed any difference except the back ground and maybe the detail in colour on the faces were a little bit more shaper i think :)

The set up took me some time to get use to especially going in and out of the setting to go through all the manual set-up - to be honest wa snot a great fan of the menu - it is clear and easy to understand when you are on the page - but to go through all the details can be long winded a little bit - but this is a minor details and should not make this an exceuse that the TV is worse.

I watched Tennis and football on it through V+ and the players are not quadrupled especially the goal keeper int he background - it does seem to suffer a little bit when the Camera pans through quickly to the players but it is not that bad and i still enjoyed the details of the game and the screen this size does make such a difference to yoru viewing experience.

I sit about 3 meters eye to screen - and i must say any bigger would have been a no no for quality ratio to distance.

The TV design is all black - discreet and although it is massive - it does look pretty nice in the living room on my stand.. you can have a look at the pictures here: http://whathifi.com/forums/t/137741.aspx

The only negative for the TV is the sound quality - compared to my Pani - the sound was thumpingingly loud and detailed and on music channels at high volumes it was really like a stereo!! so i do miss this with the sony.. but for normal watching it is good - a left it on normal setting - as the enhanced one i did not like it at all... but for AV fans - this wont matter with AV set up and speakers..

The Bluray player: Finally i have experienced the HD world after 2 years it has been out.. and what a wait it was - I only have the one BD disc - Spiderman 2 - the set up of the DVD is a breeze - so easy.. set your output and details and away you go.

I watched the chapters when sand man lives, and when sandman fights SP and at the end of the film when the big fight with evil spiderman - and what an experince it was as it was the first time i really experienced HD like this - it was so involving - the picture quality was similar to a holiday post card from a tropical island with white sand a turquoise water, with palm trees surrounding it :) - It was really a cinema visual experince and i had my own IMAX in my living room..

I cannot recomment enough the wedign between the two - i have not compared to others as i am unable to, but it is the wow factor very easily for me - and i cannot recommened it enough - and at £1100 for the pair + 5 years warranty i thought it was a steal! (bought at Sony Centre Totts court rd, London ask for Horatio.

A few things i was trying to do with the film yesterday of Spiderman 2 - were the black border lines at the top and bottom, i now have a 40" and what i wanted was to get the full picture on the screen, the zoom option zooms too much so does the smart option, i tried all the options on the bluray player too - even 4:3 and still had the black lines -

Is there a way - a set up in order to get full view experience of a film - or is this not possible? a tried the full pixel and other set ups on TV as well with no difference. I really hope there is anyway as the experience will be even better with 4" more top and bottom!! :)

Well that is my input for the TV, i know a few of you wanted a personal review ont he TV - so here it is..

I also managed to get a super offer on Lovefilm.com - 60 days free trial with this code: C9RE6HAT3 -

I rented Cars in order to do use the THX Optimiser and also experience the film What Ho-fi uses to test the screens :) and alo use this free trial to watch as many BD films as possible now :) for FREE! after its only £13 a month for two fims at any one time unlimited use.. cheaper than your local Blockbuster shoudl you rent 2+ films a month..

I hope you made it alive till here..

Next step now is to find an AV amp and speaker system to finish off my set up - btu i think this wont be till next year Spring time..

All the best to all

Ben.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Great review XSnPX. I too received this TV on Wednesday (got the same Blu ray player last week), and I love it. The difference even on normal Virginmedia channels over my 32" HD Ready TV is quite something to behold. I also sit just over 3 metres away, and any bigger would have been too big. Regarding the black lines on the screen, this is determined by the aspect ratio of the film - check on the back of the box to see what it is. Something around 1.85:1 will give no black lines, but if it's around 2.35:1, then it is filmed in widerscreen (I'm sure there's a more technical term, but you get the idea). Zooming in will fill your screen, but you'll miss what's going out on the outside of the picture.

I agree with you about the HDMI cables too. I got mine online from cableuniverse.co.uk, and I've been very impressed with them. The premium cables seem excellent to me, and a fraction the price of the big names.

I too have joined Lovefilm, and I'll be going home to watch Mission Impossible tonight on Blu Ray - can't wait.

Just an idea, but any way you could post your TV settings on here? Just to compare and maybe get some ideas, as I haven't really had a chance to go through them properly yet.

Cheers

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rob,

Thanks :) I am happy we have both go tthe same equipment and agree on most parts :)

I will have the full settings by Sunday if you can wait till then - as i will get Cars BD today and use the THX optimiser to set the screen perfectly.

Ben.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Ben

Thanks for the review and all the feedback. Always good to hear from our readers/users. You could also post a user review of the Sony TV here if you like.

A

Anonymous

XSnPX:
I sit about 3 meters eye to screen - and i must say any bigger would have been a no no for quality ratio to distance. ÿ

Hardly, even at 2 meters you won't notice the advantage of 1080p with that screen.ÿ

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Nintendo_Fan:XSnPX:

Hardly, even at 2 meters you won't notice the advantage of 1080p with that screen.

i have to disagree - i now watched Cars and Spiderman 2 and the difference is enormous and is a stunning picture quality on 1080p - however if you sat at 2 meters on SD you might notice a few more imperfections..

So what i meant was a 46" at 3 meters eye to screen would be too big on SD...

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
I'm still in the process of setting up my 40W4500. It's still connected to my old DAV-S500 and I'm pretty blown away by the picture already so really looking forward to connecting the BDP-S350.

I've mounted mine with a QAV sound bar on their stand (management thinks it is "a bit big" compared to the old 28" CRT) after a long listen at creative audio in Shrewsbury. They were very helpful

Rest of the system will be connected this weekend via a Denon 1909...can't wait.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Nintendo_Fan:XSnPX:

I sit about 3 meters eye to screen - and i must say any bigger would have been a no no for quality ratio to distance.

Hardly, even at 2 meters you won't notice the advantage of 1080p with that screen.

Have you actually seen a 1080p picture on this TV? It's stunning - the difference between it and a 1080i picture is rather obvious even to me. It's a cracking TV. Every time I switch it on, I'm amazed by the improvement in picture quality over my previous TV.

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

Well it seems i rented the wrong film for the THX Optimiser as Cars does not have it.. oh well sorry Rob but will try and post my settings some time in the week once i find a Bluray with it on.

Ben.

PS - Still loving the TV very much so - watched the X factor the other day - and the quality was blinding compared to my old set and other Tvs my friends have - the show was a good compare tool..

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
No problem Ben. No rush

Will a THX optimiser on a normal DVD not give the same results? Like Indiana Jones?

I'm loving the TV too - Strictly Come Dancing on BBC HD looks so much better.

XSnPX

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi - after more surfing the web - i managed to get my hands on the DVE PAL Calibration Bluray which many say is a step up from the THX optimiser.

So i will receive this tomorrow and set it all up to the best i can and post the settings in a new post later in the week,

Ben.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts