MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
This forum is the pits. Every time I try to start a thread in the About This Forum area complaining that I'm fed up for being asked to enter word verification, my post disappears. I can't even reply to the existing thread which complains about threads disappearing, because apparently I trigger the spam filter by replying.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Nice to see the usual jerky-jumping pages are now embelished with flashy-dimming overtones. Insomniacs and those with vertigo or megraine beware.

Thank goodness I can't see it... sounds like it should come with a health warning!

My issues never were solved re pasting links... have to use chrome which is tricky.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how many times I've tried to reply to a post only to trigger the spam filter and hence lose my entire reply.

This site is a nightmare.

You've been added to the trusted group. - Mods

jjbomber

MajorFubar said:
This forum is the pits. Every time I try to start a thread in the About This Forum area complaining that I'm fed up for being asked to enter word verification, my post disappears. I can't even reply to the existing thread which complains about threads disappearing, because apparently I trigger the spam filter by replying.

I posted a reply with a mistake in it. The edit activated the spam filter. these Mollem people are useless and I cannot see the point of them.

John Duncan

jjbomber said:
MajorFubar said:
I posted a reply with a mistake in it. The edit activated the spam filter. these Mollem people are useless and I cannot see the point of them.
Should be fixed now...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I've had that before. Still irks me that we can no longer edit the first post in a thread we've started. Sometimes you just fk up and you only notice after pressing Submit. It doesn't even give us say a 3 minute window, or give us until there's a first reply. Oh and adding pictures or links of any description in the first post is just asking to get blocked by the filter or have your thread disappear (at least I've found that to be the case at any rate)

MajorFubar said:
Yeah I've had that before. Still irks me that we can no longer edit the first post in a thread we've started. Sometimes you just fk up and you only notice after pressing Submit. It doesn't even give us say a 3 minute window, or give us until there's a first reply. Oh and adding pictures or links of any description in the first post is just asking to get blocked by the filter or have your thread disappear (at least I've found that to be the case at any rate)

I must admit that the adding pictures mallarky is where I stop. I've had so many problems here I just don't bother attempting it any more.

They simply must fix the fact that you cannot report a first post, this is a real bug in the system.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
While we're having a forum b*tch fest I'd also like to add that I hate the way the advert at the top of the page loads last. On a phone/tablet when a try to click on a thread the whole page suddenly jumps down and I end up selecting the wrong thread. It's really annoying!

*dash1*

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
While we're having a forum b*tch fest I'd also like to add that I hate the way the advert at the top of the page loads last. On a phone/tablet when a try to click on a thread the whole page suddenly jumps down and I end up selecting the wrong thread. It's really annoying!

*dash1*

+1 on that.

steve_1979 said:

*dash1*

Seconded.

Here at work I have a very slow interconnect and the same thing happens on my desktop PC, I have to hunt around the screen and try to click on buttons that are jumping around..... either that or go for a cup of tea whilst it settles down.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

*dash1*

+3

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
While we're having a forum b*tch fest I'd also like to add that I hate the way the advert at the top of the page loads last. On a phone/tablet when a try to click on a thread the whole page suddenly jumps down and I end up selecting the wrong thread. It's really annoying!

*dash1*

+ 4

jjbomber

steve_1979 said:

That's the whole idea. You accidently click on an advert and the website gets paid. Forums exist to make money from advertisers, nothing else. Clicking through on adverts, whether intentional or not, generates revenue.

John Duncan

jjbomber said:
steve_1979 said:
While we're having a forum b*tch fest I'd also like to add that I hate the way the advert at the top of the page loads last. On a phone/tablet when a try to click on a thread the whole page suddenly jumps down and I end up selecting the wrong thread. It's really annoying!

?

That's the whole idea. You accidently click on an advert and the website gets paid. Forums exist to make money from advertisers, nothing else. Clicking through on adverts, whether intentional or not, generates revenue.

I suspect that's not true - in the previous versions of the website we spent a deal of time making sure adverts were put into presized placeholders so that the page didn't jump about.

Of course, things have moved on a bit with variable ad sizes so it's quite difficult to do now, when the site itself doesn't know what size of advert is going to be served when the page is rendered (ads tend to be served last).

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

When starting a thread I leave the first post blank then add the text into the second post so that it can be edited.

John Duncan said:
jjbomber said:
steve_1979 said:

I suspect that's not true - in the previous versions of the website we spent a deal of time making sure adverts were put into presized placeholders so that the page didn't jump about.

Of course, things have moved on a bit with variable ad sizes so it's quite difficult to do now, when the site itself doesn't know what size of advert is going to be served when the page is rendered (ads tend to be served last).

Then perhaps a re-design is necessary where ads are positioned down one side, simples really!

Anyway why are we carping on about this here, isn't there a seperate sub-forum for this sort of thing? :)

dalwen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
since when:
1. ads define the layout of a website?
2. the properties/dimensions of ad's determine the structure or build up of a web site.

@ Whathifi: It's your own website, if you want you can change it.

This is wrong, unless there are other reasons why so much importance is given to the ads.
There are far more hifi websites wtih ad's that have not these problems. Please chech there what kind of solutions there are.

the current site is annoying.

John Duncan said:
jjbomber said:
steve_1979 said:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Like any modern website redesign, we get statements about the layout, etc. pretending that it's all to make things better for the readers but actually means more real estate for adds. I don't have a problem with things being run as a commercial concern, but there's so much else wrong that I've given up cataloging it. Apart from a few things at the very beginning it seems they've given up on trying to fix things.

What I don't understand is how they've managed to come up with problems and issues that I've seen on no other forums. Just really basic things that even cheap and nasty setups don't even seem to have.

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't like a few things with this new website, should have kept the old one, why fix something that is not broken !, also I do not like adverts especially down the two side banners when reading posts looks very unprofessional *smile*

Snooker said:
I don't like a few things with this new website, should have kept the old one, why fix something that is not broken !, also I do not like adverts especially down the two side banners when reading posts looks very unprofessional *smile*

The older website was even more broken!! Hence the redesign.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts