forum

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
While we're having a forum b*tch fest I'd also like to add that I hate the way the advert at the top of the page loads last. On a phone/tablet when a try to click on a thread the whole page suddenly jumps down and I end up selecting the wrong thread. It's really annoying!

*dash1*

+5

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
We're going to make some changes to the spam filter options, which is what causes the verification to pop-up, and see if that improves the whole CAPTCHA issue.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Joe Cox said:
We're going to make some changes to the spam filter options

shel03.jpg

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
WHF

I don't suppose we can stop you from putting adverts on this site, but could you please get rid of the adverts on both side panels when reading a forum post etc, it really is annoying and looks a little bit stupid really and very unprofessional *smile*

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Snooker said:
WHF

I don't suppose we can stop you from putting adverts on this site, but could you please get rid of the adverts on both side panels when reading a forum post etc, it really is annoying and looks a little bit stupid really and very unprofessional *smile*

That was part of the point of the redesign, to give advertising more real estate. Who do you think pays for our free forum?

While we're at it, can we have a search function for the forum because not everyone knows how or wants to do the search through Google, etc.

Also, who makes it so it takes one to the Your Account page whenever one logs in? This is the only forum I've ever used that does that. Standard procedure is to leave you where you are. Generally someone logs in to comment on something, although I guess you logs more page views by having people work their way back to the forum or whatever page they were on at the time and views are money.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
ID. said:
That was part of the point of the redesign, to give advertising more real estate. Who do you think pays for our free forum?

Yes, but when I open up these forums on my laptop, and so much space on the screen is taken up by ads that I actually have to scroll down to see any of the stuff I have actually opened the page to see, surely that's a) rubbish design and b) advertising placement gone mad.

The only way to use this site these days is with an ad-blocker running, which is surely self-defeating for those buying and selling the advertising. I'm aware of the need for ads to pay for things like the site, the frequent and helpful contributions to the forums by the WHSV staff, and so on, but it the ads were more subtle, and didn't give the impression of an advertising site with a few words to fill up the spaces the publishers haven't yet managed to sell, then there would be no need to use a blocker.

SteveR750

spiny norman said:
ID. said:

Yes, but when I open up these forums on my laptop, and so much space on the screen is taken up by ads that I actually have to scroll down to see any of the stuff I have actually opened the page to see, surely that's a) rubbish design and b) advertising placement gone mad.

The only way to use this site these days is with an ad-blocker running, which is surely self-defeating for those buying and selling the advertising. I'm aware of the need for ads to pay for things like the site, the frequent and helpful contributions to the forums by the WHSV staff, and so on, but it the ads were more subtle, and didn't give the impression of an advertising site with a few words to fill up the spaces the publishers haven't yet managed to sell, then there would be no need to use a blocker.

Agree, and worse is the way that they jump down the page as it's loading, causing you sometimes load them if not patient enough. TBH, I hate using this website, and whilst WHF don't manage it themselves, their publishers do. It must be very very cheap.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
causing you sometimes load them if not patient enough.

Perhaps that's the idea!

SteveR750 said:
whilst WHF don't manage it themselves, their publishers do. It must be very very cheap

I got the impression they (ie the WHSV staff) did manage the site. If not, I'm not sure what all those 'editors' do, though I agree with you that this has the look of a site where the advertising needs rule the editorial content to an unacceptable degree.

rainsoothe

Dear WHF, I don't know if you're aware of this, but a word that begins with "c" and ends with "rappy" triggers your spam filter. In other words, the spam filter is... damnit, I can't describe it, because of the spam filter...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts