Forum poll. Do you have active or passive speakers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I have both, but The PMC OB1i pair in my main system might be making way for some wireless actives in the new year. Once I can get to a dealer where I can demo the Dynaudio's I'm interested in.

One of my amps will be up for sale too.

In addition we have Sonos actives, 2x Play 5 and 2x Play 3, plus a Connect.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Main speakers are passive ATC SCM40 II. I thought long and hard about getting the active version with all the sonic benefits that brings but the thought (perhaps irrational) of a power amp section going wrong and having to ship an entire tower speaker back to base to get it fixed was really offputting.

Have the acitve Yamaha NX-N500 arriving towards the end of the month and I'm desperate to hear what they sound like.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Mainly passive - both the 2 channel hifi and the 7 cinema speakers, although I do have the Sonos Play 1 in the kitchen.

I'm keen to replace my powered computer desk speakers with some small actives at some stage - just to see what they are like.

But I was even keener to demo the Epos K2 actives - I particularly wanted floorstanders and I liked the idea of properly matched amplifiers - but with no sign of them I moved on. If there was more opportunities to demo actives that would be helpful.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Both

Actives (pair of Phantoms) for serious (mainly classical) music listening; passives (Spendor S5e) for informal music listening and as part of a TV surround system; active (Sonos Play 5) in study for background music.

I have just given away an amplifier with passive speakers to my son, as that system was redundant, and outclassed, when I bought the Phantoms.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts