Folk/Acoustic albums

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Macspur said:
Andrewjvt said:
Listening now on headphones Beautiful voice Like I've said before, comming from grunge, nu metal, hard rock etc

I think I've found my second calling

I like the other worldly quality in her voice.

Need to get to know the songs better but I like so far

Thanks keep.the recommendations comming

Andrew! so glad you're enjoying it so far, remember to listen, if you can,  to their first album too, "Mynd"

Chris While, Rosella Red

My favourite of all her albums.

Or try some This is the Kit... brilliant Alt/Folk

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Will do

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hi Mac glad you like....you might want to check out....Lost Horizons. Ojala album

A collaboration from former cocteau twins Simon Raymonde and Richie Thomas formerly jesus and marychain. Karen peris guests on the second track but the vocals from the girl on track one (Beth Canon)are fantastic.Also vocals from Leila Moss(Duke Spirit),Tim Smith (midlake)and ghost poet among others a great indie /synth /pop folk album and is on my list as a late aoty contender.

Had a quick flick through and yes, think I'm going to like it... one for my blog, thanks.

Mac

Finding some of these rare gems to buy on disc aren't quite so easy...as just flicking on Spotify....but I'm one for owning the physical media to help these artists go on and make more great music..so any info on good sites to buy some of these albums mentioned on the thread could be helpful.

On another note I'm trying to hunt down a copy of "right away great captain"....the church of the good thief. It's proving very difficult and have a feeling very expensive.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Finding some of these rare gems to buy on disc aren't quite so easy...as just flicking on Spotify....but I'm one for owning the physical media to help these artists go on and make more great music..so any info on good sites to buy some of these albums mentioned on the thread could be helpful.

On another note I'm trying to hunt down a copy of "right away great captain"....the church of the good thief. It's proving very difficult and have a feeling very expensive.

Good point... anything else in particular that you're after?

Mac

Well at work just now Mac but I'll try and get a list together over the next couple of days.It is quite difficult to get the time to listen to all the stuff between my normal diet, this thread and album of the day etc . it's all jus too much for my brain to take in.lol.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Would you mind spending more of my bucks?

I'd really appreciate a top 5 of your favourite recommendation?

I have similar taste I think

Well Andrew I'm honoured mate..but I don't know what you already know about etc ..my fave album's do change quite a bit as I listen to a very wide range of music but some of my favourite albums are

The the. Mind bomb

The decemberists. Picaresque and the hazards of love

Laura Malling. Once I was an Eagle.....

Twilight Sad. The oran mor sessions (I like all their album's though but they're not for everyone)

Frightened Rabbit. The midnight organ fight and pedestrian verse (not the finest production though)

Right away great Captain. The church of the good thief although the three that forms the trilogy are all very good..

That should keep you going for now.

Ps I'm working at the moment but I'll dig around later and see what comes up.lol.

This stuff ain't folk music BTW

The Phantom band. The wants /checkmate savage

Black Mountain. iv. in the future

The Black Angels. Passover

Sun kill moon. Universal themes,/ common as love and light are red vallies of blood (don't listen to it in one session lol)/benji.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Well Andrew I'm honoured mate..but I don't know what you already know about etc ..my fave album's do change quite a bit as I listen to a very wide range of music but some of my favourite albums are 

The the.        Mind bomb 

The decemberists.   Picaresque and the hazards of love 

Laura Malling.     Once I was an Eagle.....

Twilight Sad.   The oran mor sessions (I like all their album's though but they're not for everyone)

Frightened Rabbit.      The midnight organ fight and pedestrian verse (not the finest production though)

Right away great Captain.  The church of the good thief although the three that forms the trilogy are all very good..

Ps I'm working at the moment but I'll dig around later and see what comes up.lol.

The Phantom band.  The wants /checkmate savage

Black Mountain.   iv.    in the future 

The Black Angels.  Passover 

Sun kill moon.       Universal themes,/ common as love and light are red vallies of blood (don't listen to it in one session lol)/benji.

I really appreciate your effort
I'll check them all out

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:

The the. Mind bomb

The decemberists. Picaresque and the hazards of love

Laura Malling. Once I was an Eagle.....

Twilight Sad. The oran mor sessions (I like all their album's though but they're not for everyone)

Frightened Rabbit. The midnight organ fight and pedestrian verse (not the finest production though)

Right away great Captain. The church of the good thief although the three that forms the trilogy are all very good..

The Phantom band. The wants /checkmate savage

Black Mountain. iv. in the future

The Black Angels. Passover

Sun kill moon. Universal themes,/ common as love and light are red vallies of blood (don't listen to it in one session lol)/benji.

Mark, have you ever heard anything by Laura Veirs? July Flame and World of Meteors are my faves... she has got unusual vocals and musically quite different.

BTW, Like some Sun Kil Moon myself, but prefer Mark Kozelek solo stuff... Perils from the Sea andWhat's next to the moon

Mac

Mac..had a listen to Laura Viers. Year of meteors....excellent and have saved the rest of her albums on my Spotify...will get back to them soon...in the meantime...a twelve year old malt and I are...RM Hubbert..taken the trees.

Mike and Solveig. Here comes today

There will be fireworks. Self title album.

King Creosote and John hopkins . Diamond mine

Yes it's a Scottish nigh Inn.lol.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Mac..had a listen to Laura Viers. Year of meteors....excellent and have saved the rest of her albums on my Spotify...will get back to them soon...in the meantime...a twelve year old malt and I are...RM Hubbert..taken the trees.

Mike and Solveig. Here comes today

There will be fireworks. Self title album.

King Creosote and John hopkins . Diamond mine

Yes it's a Scottish nigh Inn.lol.

Had a feeling you might like Laura!

Recently bought the RM Hubbart, will try the others... don't mind a drop of the amber liquid myself... got someMonkey's Shoulder and Connemara in the cupboard lol!

Just come across this guy Findlay Napier and his album Glasgow

Mac

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Worth checking out if te artist has a website, they often sell direct but could be a problem with overseas ones. Or try their Facebook page.

But seems some artists the music is only available as a down load: https://rightawaygreatcaptain.bandcamp.com/album/the-church-of-the-good-thief

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Gonepostal said:
Diamond mine by king Creoste and Jon Hopkins sounds fantastic on vinyl. It’s only about 33 mins long but soothes me after a tiring day at work every time.

+1 for Diamond Mine. If Bats In The Attic doesn't move you, you haven't got a soul.....

And if you like that, Astronaut Meets Appleman is excellent.

Rick Redbeard. Awake Unto

The phantom band's vocalist in chief Rick Anthony exercises his alter ego in this fine alt folk album...I'm a big fan of the phantom band and love Ricks vocals.https://open.spotify.com/album/7MiCoC6mBAeHEca2SNkZYJ?si=p8V2fVyaQ0W7bLEhp4C1Fg

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been sitting through all the recommendations and finding some good new artists. Thanks
Can I ask you all for violin based folk recommendations? If you know any

TRENDING THREADS