Folk/Acoustic albums

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorreltiger said:
Yes, all of Cara Dillon’s albums are wonderful recordings - the latest, ‘Wanderer’ is no exception. Another artist to try, one of our greatest songwriters, Chris Wood. On a side issue, but also relevant, I heard Chris at a small venue a couple of weeks back, where the sound quality was breathtaking and better than you’d achieve with even the most expensive home set-up. You do sometimes find that with folk and jazz.

Excellent example, thank you, have you got a favourite Chris Wood album?

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
1000 Years of Popular Music by Richard Thompson.

I could suggest several of his live, solo albums but I particularly love the above album.

Also, not wholly acoustic, but I love Wille and the Bandits at the moment. They have too many influences to list, but well worth checking out.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
1000 Years of Popular Music by Richard Thompson.

I could suggest several of his live, solo albums but I particularly love the above album.

Also, not wholly acoustic, but I love Wille and the Bandits at the moment. They have too many influences to list, but well worth checking out.

that's fine, doesn't have to be soley acoustic, as long as they're decent singer/songwriters.

Barnaby Bright, The Longest Day

Mrs Bliss has a blissful voice.

Mac

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure I have a favourite Chris Wood album, but I certainly have favourite songs: the devastating 'Hollow Point'; the sweet love-story 'One in a Million'; a touching evocation of 'empty nest syndrome' 'This love won't let you down; comments on modern Britain 'So much to defend' and 'None the wiser'; a song about retiring 'My darling's downsized' and a wonderful new arrangement of 'Jerusalem'. Most of them are on YouTube from various gigs if you want to get a flavour.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Mac for the welcome back, thought I would try it again, last time about a year ago posts were disappearing all the time.

The Wailin' Jennys, the first 2 albums are great.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Another act that I saw a number of years ago, also supporting Richard Thompson, was Erin McKeown.

I thought she was wonderful, so much so that I've bought all her albums over the years. You are probably aware of her, but I would heartily recommend her 2003 album Grand as a good starting point.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
IK7xDjjxB2Lxq9ZpI4tWGXCPboatrv2g2I56wZvknbweJKlAStgM-l8JaK5kM3lDPBDWTVt9=s512-c-e100-rwu-v1

Soul Storm Comin

Sounds pretty darn good. An old favorite.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Pádraigín Ní Uallacháin - An Dara Craiceann (Beneath The Surface)

Great Irish singer.

https://open.spotify.com/album/01MwBvzy7uPz3pRO2N5XVa

The Gloaming - 2

Irish/American band. Excellent and they're even better live.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3ffkDWpn7HKfcLitPB9Zwk

Altan - The Widening Gyre.

One of the best Irish folk bands around.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Rc03P19SgImjPKuaePVJK

Luar na Lubre - Cabo do Mundo

Galician folk, very good. Mike Oldfield used to play one of their songs live (O Son do Ar).

https://open.spotify.com/album/0MZ4ajgKopgbm110WHXnTW

Carlos Paredes & Charlie Haden - Dialogues

Portuguese guitar player extraordinaire meets double bass legend:

https://open.spotify.com/album/73ccxsRsnagy2RoyX0Vw0a

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
This morning a friend linked me a video with this guy as soundtrack. I ended up putting him on repeat shuffle all morning.
Colin MacLeod (the anchor EP is an example of his work)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Macspur said:
No disrespect to Electronic music, I've even got a few CD's, Faithless, Moby and MGVC in my collection, but for me it's real instruments and lyrics that stir my emotions... the admiration for the musician, the mastery they have over guitars, mandolins, flutes, banjo, fiddle, cello andviolin, as well as other more obscure instruments never ceases to amaze me.  Not to mention their talents with the pen, creating storytelling and poetry, whether it be observations on life or nature, relationships or the land in which we live, and those who  recreate Folk tales, songs that have been around for many years, performing them in their own style, that's the music I love.

Now, with that in mind, who can name some artists in this vane that you particularly like and recommend albums by them:

The ones I'm really into at the moment ar Phillip Henry and Hannah Martin and their new album called Edgelarks... remember it doesn't have to be just Folk.

Mac

I had a brief listen to edgelarks on very low volume using my phone on YouTube but liked what I briefly heard.

Anyway ordered the cd on Amazon.
I'll let you know once I've heard more

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts