Folk/Acoustic albums

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Macspur said:
No disrespect to Electronic music, I've even got a few CD's, Faithless, Moby and MGVC in my collection, but for me it's real instruments and lyrics that stir my emotions... the admiration for the musician, the mastery they have over guitars, mandolins, flutes, banjo, fiddle, cello andviolin, as well as other more obscure instruments never ceases to amaze me. Not to mention their talents with the pen, creating storytelling and poetry, whether it be observations on life or nature, relationships or the land in which we live, and those who recreate Folk tales, songs that have been around for many years, performing them in their own style, that's the music I love.

Now, with that in mind, who can name some artists in this vane that you particularly like and recommend albums by them:

The ones I'm really into at the moment ar Phillip Henry and Hannah Martin and their new album called Edgelarks... remember it doesn't have to be just Folk.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

I had a brief listen to edgelarks on very low volume using my phone on YouTube but liked what I briefly heard.

Anyway ordered the cd on Amazon. I'll let you know once I've heard more

Excellent Andrew! If you do like it enough, take a listen to the first album called Mynd. They do have another called Watershed which is good, but not quite as good as the other two.

Mac

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Macspur said:
Andrewjvt said:
radiorog said:
Sorry about all these seperate posts, but also love katie mellua's winter album. This year it is expanded with some very good live recordings.

She's cool but is she folk?

What I'd probably call Folk/Pop, but it doesn't matter as it's acoustic and fits well in this post.

Mac

Does she have also jazz influence at all?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Macspur said:
Andrewjvt said:
radiorog said:
Sorry about all these seperate posts, but also love katie mellua's winter album. This year it is expanded with some very good live recordings.

What I'd probably call Folk/Pop, but it doesn't matter as it's acoustic and fits well in this post.

Mac

Does she have also jazz influence at all?

I believe she does. She's one of those artists, like Eva Cassidy, that spans a blend of genres

Blue Rose Code, North Ten

Scottish singer/songwriter AKA Ross Wilson

Mac

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
radiorog said:

There’s a beautiful cover of Joni Mitchell’s ‘River’ on that album. That’s more than Folk enough for me.

The rest of it is beautiful too, especially at this time of year.

Up there with Sting’s ‘If on a Winter’s night’ and Tori Amos’ ‘Midwinter Graces’.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Andrewjvt said:
radiorog said:

There’s a beautiful cover of Joni Mitchell’s ‘River’ on that album. That’s more than Folk enough for me. 

Up there with Sting’s ‘If on a Winter’s night’ and Tori Amos’ ‘Midwinter Graces’. 

Is that the Christmas LP she released last year? (He asks instead of just doing Google)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Infiniteloop said:
Andrewjvt said:
radiorog said:

Is that the Christmas LP she released last year? (He asks instead of just doing Google)

Indeed it is. And very beautiful it is too.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Listening now on headphones
Beautiful voice
Like I've said before, comming from grunge, nu metal, hard rock etc

I think I've found my second calling

I like the other worldly quality in her voice.

Need to get to know the songs better but I like so far

Thanks keep.the recommendations comming

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Listening now on headphones Beautiful voice Like I've said before, comming from grunge, nu metal, hard rock etc

I think I've found my second calling

I like the other worldly quality in her voice.

Need to get to know the songs better but I like so far

Thanks keep.the recommendations comming

Andrew! so glad you're enjoying it so far, remember to listen, if you can, to their first album too, "Mynd"

Chris While, Rosella Red

My favourite of all her albums.

Or try some This is the Kit... brilliant Alt/Folk

Mac

Hi Mac glad you like....you might want to check out....Lost Horizons. Ojala album

A collaboration from former cocteau twins Simon Raymonde and Richie Thomas formerly jesus and marychain. Karen peris guests on the second track but the vocals from the girl on track one (Beth Canon)are fantastic.Also vocals from Leila Moss(Duke Spirit),Tim Smith (midlake)and ghost poet among others a great indie /synth /pop folk album and is on my list as a late aoty contender.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
The Innocence mission. My room in the trees....lovely vocals from karen peris https://open.spotify.com/album/6poaOH8EeIvGb4y2pBav01?si=uxMpavzAQmiU-VviETR_9Q

Fabulous
Really good
Another purchase

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hi Mac glad you like....you might want to check out....Lost Horizons. Ojala album

A collaboration from former cocteau twins Simon Raymonde and Richie Thomas formerly jesus and marychain. Karen peris guests on the second track but the vocals from the girl on track one (Beth Canon)are fantastic.Also vocals from Leila Moss(Duke Spirit),Tim Smith (midlake)and ghost poet among others a great indie /synth /pop folk album and is on my list as a late aoty contender.

I will, thanks.

Been listening to Nancy Kerr, Instar this morning, it's really grown on me, didn't like it at all before.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts