FM switchoff - mixed message from the government

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Reading the latest arguably brings more questions to the table.

Referring to the transmitters for the motorway coverage, does this mean that when you drive rural the signal will be less and leaving you gulping for air! I use DAB in the kitchen and moving around the house inside and out gives differing signal strengths, sometimes loosing the transmission within a few feet.
I prefer the slight hiss of FM to the underwater tones of DAB when in a bad reception area.
This doesn't give me much confidence in DAB.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I live in a rural area, ten miles or so from Barnstaple, Devon, they have DAB coverage, we don't but we're in a valley with a repeating transmitter that only got digital TV for the first time this time last year. Sometimes the signal coming across the water from Wales is stronger than the one from the transmitter 3 miles away!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It seems the BBC know the coverage is patchy (and yes, that can include in major towns; our signal this close to London ain't great) - they're seeking to 'plug the gaps'.

Here's the full list of current BBC DAB transmitters across the UK. No list/map yet where the extra transmitters will go....

jdp1962

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I'm astonished that Revo stopped production of its in-car DAB head unit. I installed one about three years ago, connected to an external glass mount aerial, and it's a terrific performer. Far superior to the Pure Highway.

Come on Pure! If Cambridge Audio can relaunch the DACMagic, surely you can bring back the in-car DAB.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Shoot me if i'm wrong in saying this but my FM sounds 'warmer' for want of a better word then the sound from my DAB but I like the DAB to listen to XFM which stopped broadcasting on FM a while back.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger:XFM which stopped broadcasting on FM a while back.

XFM is alive and kicking on FM here (oxon/buck border) not on DAB though. Considering it is one of only a handful of stations i listen too, thank's goes out to FM broadcasting. Yippee.

wilco

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Chebby

I agree with your points

WhatHiFi will need to have a new LoFi section. I spent money on a tuner and want to use my current set up. We are being short changed with DAB. The original feed from JazzFM was 128k a while back but is now no better than a talk radio station at 64k mono. Commercial greed seems to mean that listeners are treated with contempt. Laugh at their jingle "Listen in Colour"

I have recently gone back to try FM and been taken by the quality even without the full roof aerial.What is happening with HD audio replacement for FM. DAB+ would be a good start.

Yes I could hook up the internet and hunt round on the PC for HD sources or spend an extra £1k on a streamer but I find the convenience current set up. Looks like there maybe a load of obsolete Arcam and or tuners joining the landfill.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts