FM switchoff - mixed message from the government

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
So, our new coalition govt is going ahead with switch to digital radio (full news here).

But not until at least 50% of llstening is digital (it's about @25% now), and the quality of digital matches FM.

So, will it ever happen? Discuss....

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:and the quality of digital matches FM.

emotion-18.gif
how would digital not be better quality?

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
SnowyJohn:

emotion-18.gif

I believe its because the signal is compressed to 128Kbps or even less in some cases.

What I dont understand is why they even need to turn of FM? Thats a question not a statement!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
JamesOK:What I dont understand is why they even need to turn of FM?

Its all about the wonga the readies the pound notes.....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
SnowyJohn:

emotion-18.gif

When you have compared the two through the same device (in my case an Arcam Solo-Mini with FM and DAB via newly installed dedicated roof aerials in a strong reception area for both) and found that DAB is two-dimensional and lifeless in comparison to FM.

When the same FM superiority is apparent even on a Pure Evoke Flow kitchen radio with a 3" speaker.

When Freeview radio and BBC iPlayer radio are both superior in sound quality to what is supposed to become - one day - our prime quality radio transmission media (DAB) then something is going wrong.

DAB also uses more energy (to receive and transmit) than FM and switchover could result in over 100 million radios (in the UK) becoming landfill within 5 years. Not exactly an insignificant ecological gaff.

Also DAB has already been superceded by the superior sounding DAB+ (AAC) format, (already in use nationwide in some countries) but there are no plans to introduce it in the UK where the authorities have chosen ancient DAB technology instead.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ah, but if you go back to our news story, you'll see an important point there - the digital switchover INCLUDES online/internet radio listening as well as DAB.....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Ah, but if you go back to our news story, you'll see an important point there - the digital switchover INCLUDES online/internet radio listening as well as DAB.....

How is in-car online/internet radio going?

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
chebby:
When you have compared the two through the same device (in my case an Arcam Solo-Mini with FM and DAB via newly installed dedicated roof aerials in a strong reception area for both) and found that DAB is two-dimensional and lifeless in comparison to FM.

When the same FM superiority is apparent even on a Pure Evoke Flow kitchen radio with a 3" speaker.

When Freeview radio and BBC iPlayer radio are both superior in sound quality to what is supposed to become - one day - our prime quality radio transmission media (DAB) then something is going wrong.

DAB also uses more energy (to receive and transmit) than FM and switchover could result in over 100 million radios (in the UK) becoming landfill within 5 years. Not exactly an insignificant ecological gaff.

Also DAB has already been superceded by the superior sounding DAB+ (AAC) format, (already in use nationwide in some countries) but there are no plans to introduce it in the UK where the authorities have chosen ancient DAB technology instead.

Well thanks for putting me straight!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have no problem with 'digital'. (FM radio output is all digital at source anyway.)

It is DAB with which I have a problem. It is 'lowest common denominator' quality that will be imposed on a broadcasting infrastructure that has enjoyed enviable sound quality for decades.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok i'll shut up about FM.

I have the alternative bases covered and have been listening to BBC radio via iPlayer and Freeview for a long time (when it is more convenient for stations I can't get on FM, or iPlayer's 'Play it again service' for stuff I would otherwise miss).

I just can't share your upbeat optimism about the quality of DAB (and other digital radio) compared to the best I can get from FM.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I share the concern about DAB quality! Any switchover should be a step forward, not backwards, in terms of quality - as well as choice of channels.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
The choice of stations would be far greater on DAB but the fact were going to adopt DAB over DAB+ as Chebby put earlier is a concern. Using DAB+ would definitely be a better option with the AAC+ encoding resulting in better quality listening and by all accounts better reception quality.

We should be moving forward as AlmaataKZ has put, but the government wants to load it's pockets regardless.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
chebby:DAB also uses more energy (to receive and transmit) than FM and switchover could result in over 100 million radios (in the UK) becoming landfill within 5 years. Not exactly an insignificant ecological gaff.

I've read some retailers are offering exchanges on old FM receivers for the new DAB. These old receivers will be shipped to Africa where they know how to listen to the radio.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
shooter69:I've read some retailers are offering exchanges on old FM receivers for the new DAB. These old receivers will be shipped to Africa where they know how to listen to the radio.
Yes, they were, under the Radio Amnesty. The scheme is now closed.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:I've read some retailers are offering exchanges on old FM receivers for the new DAB. These old receivers will be shipped to Africa where they know how to listen to the radio.

That's going to be great in rural Africa where there is little in the way of mains electricity and new batteries can cost a fortune. (Two reasons why Trevor Baylis invented the original 'Freeplay' wind-up radio in the first place!)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:That's going to be great in rural Africa where there is little in the way of mains electricity and new batteries can cost a fortune. (Two reasons why Trevor Baylis invented the original 'Freeplay' wind-up radio in the first place!)

I think you'll find that "Radios will be reconditioned or recycled responsibly. Radios that are reconditioned will be sent to support children's radio projects set up by the Children's Radio Foundation in Southern Africa.

"The Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital in Capetown is establishing a radio station. Since January 2009 the Children's Radio Foundation (CRF) has been working with long term child patients to produce their own radio stories to stimulate, entertain and comfort them in their recovery.

"These contribute to the child-produced content on the CRF's weekly radio show in South Africa, the Radio Workshop. The donated radios will be made available to children in the wards at the hospital and provide much-needed external stimulus and a valuable connection to the world for children and young teens. Once the in-house radio station is established, these radios will enable children in the wards to tune into their own radio station."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts