FLAC to Yamaha RX-V479 from Synology NAS

lazyade

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Having just read the January article on High Resolution Audio download services I thought I'd buy my first FLAC album from 7Digital. I planned to play the FLAC audio from the amp's music server - connecting to my NAS. Downloading all worked well and I got the audio copied on a newly created folder on my Synology NAS. But, I cannot see the folder from my Yamaha amp, after a quick read of the manual it says that the NAS has to be able to play high res audio.

I know Synology are one of the best know NAS manufacturers so I would think there must be a way of playying FLAC back from the NAS. Can anyone offer any tips on how to make this work?

Also, how would you stream high res audio from Tidal to an amp (Tidal isn't one of the built-in music services on the V479)?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I often wonder why manufacturers insist on hard coding functionality like streaming or internet radio, into their receivers, TVs, BD players etc, given that most users seem to prefer to control streaming, radio, etc using apps on their phones or tablets. These apps are then much easier and quicker to update, with enhanced functionality.

I would have thought that your synology NAS should handle FLAC - maybe the issue is not the NAS but the music player. Have you checked that the Yamaha RX-V479 can handle hi-res files. I know the RX - A1020 can handle hi-res, but I don't know about other models.

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
You need to load the "Audio Station" app on the NAS. Go to the "Package Centre" and load it from there I think (haven't done this with a Yamaha amp and its software, but it works for my Denon 3313 - it can access the files directly via it's "Network" menu option)

You can also then either use the Audio Station app directly from the Synology control interface to find the UPnP players available on your network or load the free app on your phone or tablet device and control the playing from there which is how I control playback via my Oppo105 and Technics amp

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
And if you want something more than just the standard Audio Station from Synology I would suggest you take the route of installing MinimServer on the Synology, one of the best DLNA servers. You can control this with various apps on your smartphone/tablet, but a good one for Android is Bubble.

Regards,

lazyade

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your comments, I've now fixed this an can play FLAC from the Synology. I did install Audio Station on the NAS but that didn't work straight away. After searching through the Synology Help on Audio Station it reminded me I needed to map the Folder (where I had saved the High Res Audio) to the Media Indexing (doh). You do this from the Synology Control Panel > Media Indexing (under the System grouping) > Indexed Folder. From there hit Create and select the drive / folder you've saved your High Res Audio under.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts