first phono...

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
I have just installed a Technics SL-QX300 old turntable with the Audio Technica ATU 4040 EP cartridge, and I am looking for a phono preamp. A friend suggested the Ifi Zen Phono, but my dealer told me to go for the Pro-Ject Audio Phono Box S2 Ultra which is better, if I can spread my budget. This costs 50% more than the Ifi.... Have anyone experience with any of these phono stages ? Is the Pro- ject worth the higher price ?

camcroft

The iFi Phono is excellent read the reviews and to audition one against the Project is not a simple task you would need the same turntable . amp, speakers to test both phono stages to judge them on equal merit. When I bought my Zen Phono I still had my Schiit Mani to compare it against it definitely sounded better or is that my placebo ears at it again!

Last edited:

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
I cannot hear them both side by side, thats why I ask if someone haw experience with them, and particular with that Pro-Ject, as for the Ifi there are a lot of reviews at the internet,

Taking the price of your source into account I would suggest the Project may be overkill for what you require and the benefits over and above the iFi minimal.
Also you don't need a phono preamp with MC capabilities so why pay for it.
having said that the iFi has MC facility too but at that price you are unlikely to find a better MM only preamp

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray
I have the Rotel A11 Tribute, It has an internal phono stage, but as I do not know many things about vinyl , I wonder if I can upgrade the SQ by connecting an external phono preamp.
Thanks for clarification. You are going to have to spend a good deal of money to better the internal phono stage, so I wouldn't bother.
what you are planning to do doesn't make financial sense. Why buy an amplifier with a good phono stage of you aren't going to use it?
upgrade your cartridge or simply buy more vinyl if you have money to burn.

Last edited:

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for clarification. You are going to have to spend a good deal of money to better the internal phono stage, so I wouldn't bother.
what you are planning to do doesn't make financial sense. Why buy an amplifier with a good phono stage of you aren't going to use it?
upgrade your cartridge or simply buy more vinyl if you have money to burn.
Thanks... To be honest, I did not know weather I coyld have a better SQ by adding an external phono. I do not know much about vinyl. The rotel was in my system , feeding from CD and streaming. But my cousin just gave me the turntable for free, and I do not know almost anything about the phono input of the amp or the cartridge on the TT or anything else about these things. I was just wondering if I can get more from these gear. Thank you for your advice. If you know weather I could upgrade the cartridge in the future, if you have any suggestion on this, please you are free to tell me. The TT has a P-Mount cartridge.

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
the phono stage in the rotel will be good enough for your Setup. Don’t worry about getting anything else just yet. does the tonearm take standard carts? Or is it p-mount?
P-Mount....... If you have any suggestion for upgrading the cartridge, please , feel free to give any advice, because i do not think that there are much options in the market for this kind of cartridges...

Nope, unfortunately not. You can however get an adapter for the p-mount, allowing you to fit a standard cartridge. No idea how good they are though.
audio Technica p mount carts are available, and probably are as good as you will get.

Reactions: Al ears
So far as I know the available adapters work the other way round, allowing P-mount cartridges to be used on conventional tonearms.
Precisely. The P Mount standard was designed so that any p mount cartridge could be mounted on any p mount compatible tonearm without any need for any alignment.
You could not develop an adapter that would work the other way around as the cartridge alignment ability would be lost.

daytona600

T4P ( Technics 4 Pin ) only new designs Grado just plug in a new cartridge in seconds & play a record

P-mount cartridges (T4P) are designed to be interchangeable. A "T4P" insignia is usually present on the turntable to indicate a P-mount tonearm. So, for all practical purposes any brand below will fit and work in a T4P tonearm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts