First HiFi Setup

JusDiG

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
After months of research, several home demos, and spending a bit more than I initially budgeted, my first hifi (at least to my ears!) system is in place! I realize to many, this is a very modest setup but to me this was a serious investment and sonic upgrade to anything I've used in the past. If anyone has any questions about my experiences thus far with the gear, feel free to ask. I'm not only thoroughly enjoying my listening experience lately but also the process of research, learning and discussion.

Dynaudio Evoke 20
2x SVS SB-1000
Hegel H90
Bluesound Node 2i
Project Debut Carbon + Phono Box S2
Audioquest Evergreen RCA's
Austere V Series Optical
SVS SoundPath Ultra Cables

...and if anyone cares about the video portion

65" LG C9 OLED
LG UBK90 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (hidden)
Audioquest Pearl HDMI cables

IMG_7045.jpg
IMG_7052.jpg
IMG_7053.jpg
IMG_7054.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7045.jpg
    IMG_7045.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 7

Gray

You're modest, not that system.
Enjoy the music and stay content - that's the key.

Assuming you tried the H90 with different speakers, not with PMC by any chance?
Wondered how you would characterise the amp's sound?
(I read a glowing review of the 120, but someone here had one on home loan and described it as a bit dull).

JusDiG

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
You're modest, not that system.
Enjoy the music and stay content - that's the key.

Assuming you tried the H90 with different speakers, not with PMC by any chance?
Wondered how you would characterise the amp's sound?
(I read a glowing review of the 120, but someone here had one on home loan and described it as a bit dull).

Thanks for the reply! I auditioned the H90, Cambridge CXA81, and Moon 240i at home but with my old speakers, B&W 685 S2's. I thought the Moon and Hegel were similar. Smooth, punchy, natural. Not coloring the music at all. Definitely more neutral compared to the Cambridge which to my ears was a bit bright in the top end and overall more forward sounding and excitable. Maybe compared to amps like the Cambridge and for folks that prefer that type of sound signature, some would find the Hegel sound "dull", but to my ears it was just right. Obviously I went with the Hegel. For me it produced better dynamics at lower listening volumes vs. the Moon. Then of course when I got the Evoke's in, I liked it even better.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Thanks for the reply! I auditioned the H90, Cambridge CXA81, and Moon 240i at home but with my old speakers, B&W 685 S2's. I thought the Moon and Hegel were similar. Smooth, punchy, natural. Not coloring the music at all. Definitely more neutral compared to the Cambridge which to my ears was a bit bright in the top end and overall more forward sounding and excitable. Maybe compared to amps like the Cambridge and for folks that prefer that type of sound signature, some would find the Hegel sound "dull", but to my ears it was just right. Obviously I went with the Hegel. For me it produced better dynamics at lower listening volumes vs. the Moon. Then of course when I got the Evoke's in, I liked it even better.
Thanks for that. Your observations match those I've read in reviews.
(In fairness, he did suspect his speakers were partly responsible for his 'slightly dull' verdict).
I actually auditioned 3 amps at home before my last purchase. It's certainly not the easy way of doing things, but like you, I'm glad I did.
There doesn't seem to be a Hegel dealer in my county (Essex). I saw online that a distributor offers a home loan service....for £300 :eek: Whether or not that gets deducted from the price, no way would I ever go for that (not if I were a millionaire).
Thanks again, I value your opinions.
Enjoy your stuff. As it becomes more about the music, that's when you know you're there (y)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
After months of research, several home demos, and spending a bit more than I initially budgeted, my first hifi (at least to my ears!) system is in place! I realize to many, this is a very modest setup but to me this was a serious investment and sonic upgrade to anything I've used in the past. If anyone has any questions about my experiences thus far with the gear, feel free to ask. I'm not only thoroughly enjoying my listening experience lately but also the process of research, learning and discussion.

Dynaudio Evoke 20
2x SVS SB-1000
Hegel H90
Bluesound Node 2i
Project Debut Carbon + Phono Box S2
Audioquest Evergreen RCA's
Austere V Series Optical
SVS SoundPath Ultra Cables

...and if anyone cares about the video portion

65" LG C9 OLED
LG UBK90 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (hidden)
Audioquest Pearl HDMI cables

View attachment 1319
View attachment 1320
View attachment 1321
View attachment 1322

Wow....looking lovely sir :)

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Wow, prettyincredible first system.
Kind of puts my late 90's first system (Yamaha CDX-493, Rotel RA 921 & Tannoy Mercury M1's) to shame!

P.S. Your Evoke 20's are giving me serious upgrade urges...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts