First Hifi setup

clegtr

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

since quite some time I have wanted a nice little Hifi setup for listening to Records and CDs. I already have some old speakers (my parent's), they are Mulidane Carats. I have no Idea how good they sound, since I couldn't listen to them yet and I havent found any info on the internet. I also own two CD Players I have no info on, one is an old Denon from a Midi stack and the other one is a Kenwood, that I bought for almost no money (I don't know if it works though).

Now, after doing some research I would like to buy an amplifier and a turntable. I have been thinking about the Yamaha AS300 and the Denon PMA 520AE. The tough part IMO is the Turntable though. In my budget I haven't really found anything with good reviews. I have been thinking about getting a Pro-Ject Elemental. My mother has also found this ad for a noname record player. I am however quite concerned if it would bring any decent results http://www.tchibo.de/hi-fi-plattenspieler-p400042233.html After doing some research on it, it seems like it's just another cheap chinese product from the same production line as may other turntables in that price range.

Anyway, my budget for both together would be around 400 euros, I could stretch it out slightly, but would prefer not to. I also would prefer to buy new.

Thank you for all suggestions and opinions :)

EDIT: The Pro-Ject Essential seems to have pretty good reviews, what about that one?

clegtr

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
The Pro-Ject Essential (not the II) has five stars as well though... :? Also I'd like to keep the budget for both to around 450 (yes I just increased my budget ;) ) with just the Turntable that would leave around 180 euros for the amp. If I absolutely have to I will go to 500, but there have to be good budget amps? I don't know if that's important for the choice, but I mainly listen to Jazz and Blues.

rafeeq

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
For turntable I recommend Project Essential II, as far as Amplifier is concerned I strongly recommend Yamaha A-S500 (a great and decent amplifier). Both product are rated as FIVE STAR products.

P.S. Project Essential II. Best turntable up to £400, Awards 2013.

Yamaha A-S500. Best stereo amplifier up to £500, Awards 2010. Yamaha has produced a new class leader, with a stunningly capable product

rafeeq

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
For amplifier I once again strongly RECOMMEND Yamaha A-S500 (which I have). I purchased it after a long research and I found this a great amplifier with really its earth shaking sound of 100 watts per channel though the company rated their amplifier as 85 Watts per channel.

clegtr

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I am very grateful for your recommendation, but please be aware that I cited a budget. I will ofc consider the Yamaha AS500, but I'd also like to buy a turntable. Is the Yamaha the only good amp in that price range?

rafeeq

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I have recommended Yamaha A-S500 because of its price of around US$300. No other amplifier of as much power of 100 watts RMS in such a low price is currently available in market than this Yamaha's A-S500 with five star rating awarded by the Hifi Guru "What Hifi". It is the lowest price amplifier considering its power. Although Yamaha has rated its power as 85 Watts RMS per channel but a well known Australian Hifi Magazine in its detailed labatory test determined its output power not less than 100 W RMS!... which is really amazing! Can anyone cite me another amplifier of the same specification in this price range?

Whilst I am sure rafeeq is trying to assist recommending amps outside of your stated budget is not helpful.

Not too sure where in the world you are and you may be able to find the amp he so strongly recommends second-hand but I doubt it.

I would be looking at something like the Rotel RA-04.

If you can stretch to the Debut 2 then I would do so as it is a great improvement over the original.

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
rafeeq said:
For turntable I recommend Project Essential II, as far as Amplifier is concerned I strongly recommend Yamaha A-S500 (a great and decent amplifier). Both product are rated as FIVE STAR products.

P.S. Project Essential II. Best turntable up to £400, Awards 2013.

Yamaha A-S500. Best stereo amplifier up to £500, Awards 2010. Yamaha has produced a new class leader, with a stunningly capable product

The OP said total 400 euros not £400 each, phooey!

clegtr

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I am situated in Belgium. I have checked prices for the Rotel and with 400 euros, which is exactly 100 more than the Yamaha A-S300, this is definetely out of my Budget. The Pro-Ject Debut 2 doesn't seem to be sold anywhere, what about the Debut III? Are there any other quality Recordplayers from other companies in that Pricerange?

clegtr

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
iamthegruffalo said:
The OP said total 400 euros not £400 each, phooey!

Thank you :grin:

well if I have to extend my budget to 500 euros in order to get a setup that is incredibly better I will, but id ofc prefer to stay under those 400, or 450 euros.

Belgium eh? If you go for the Proj-ect Essential 2 (for around £200 here in the UK) or better still the Rega RP1 then this should leave you enough to look around for a second-hand amplifier as there are not many new (that have a phono stage) for less than 200 euros, although you may be lucky enough to find a Denon PMA720AE.

The Rotel RA-04 I mentioned before has been discontinued so you might be able to find an ex-demo one going cheap.

Good hunting!

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Belgium eh? If you go for the Proj-ect Essential 2 (for around £200 here in the UK) or better still the Rega RP1 then this should leave you enough to look around for a second-hand amplifier as there are not many new (that have a phono stage) for less than 200 euros, although you may be lucky enough to find a Denon PMA720AE.

The Rotel RA-04 I mentioned before has been discontinued so you might be able to find an ex-demo one going cheap.

Good hunting!

Ha! Good thinking! Why am I always so goddam slow to write my replies... :?

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I realise that you said in the OP that you would 'prefer to buy new', but buying a second hand amplifier would open up a whole new world of options for you.

You could buy something along the lines of a NAD 352 (fantastic amp, should cost you around 200 euros max in mint condition) and have enough for a new Essential ll TT.

If you were feeling a bit braver, you could have a dabble in the second hand TT market place. For around 200-250 euros, you could find a Rega P2 or Planar 3, with decent arms and carts fitted... Just a thought! :)

clegtr

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:

Good hunting!

Hm, the Denon PMA-720 AE looks very interesting. It sells for 235euros new on amazon. Is there a big difference between the Pro-Ject Essential Basic and the II?

I just remembered that my Grandparents have an old Denon System with seperate pre and poweramp. The problem with it is however, that one of the channels distorts. Is there any way I can check which one of the devices is causing the problem? I might then be able to save some money and put it towards a better turntable by just replacing the broken one.

rafeeq

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
A visit to a junckyard searching for a “Quality” Amplifier.

Can anybody dream of getting a brand-new and decent (with five-star rating) two-channel stereo amplifier in less than US$300 that too with a good and practical phono-stage for playing vinyle records?

No-where in the world a brand-new and best-rated stereo amplifier (with phono-stage) is available whose price is less than US$300/- than Yamaha’s A-S500, or else you should visit a junk dealer’s shop for a vintage machine to satisfy your good taste.

Please keep in mind, in my previous dispatch I was NOT talking of purchasing a historical second-hand machine from a scrap dealer.

I could not have ever thought someone would drag me into a second-hand market, or scrapeyard… I really meant a new one, I repeat NEW… Not a discarded one, please note well.

One is naiive, having in mind a royal hobby and for it, not enough money in the pocket. And also, if you don’t have funds, you should not have come to this prestigeous forum asking for so many expensive things in such a meagre amount. It is like someone who don’t have money for buying a bread but still dreaming of a cake!

For your kind information, the machine which I was referring to, is still current in the production, ready for delivery in shops’ shelfs, still available on the company’s website (see for yourself) meaning they have not discarded it yet. Companies do not usually eliminate a model having a reputation of gaining full marks from reputable and respected magazines especially in the amplifier category.

I have given my sincere advice clearly urging someone to raise his budget. There was no need to mention it in words because sometime a gesture is enough to be understood. That is to say a nod is enough for a wiseman. It was deemed to be understood.

In the end, I will not advice him to visit an scrape dealer’s shop for fulfillment of his apptite.

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
rafeeq said:

Can anybody dream of getting a brand-new and decent (with five-star rating) two-channel stereo amplifier in less than US$300 that too with a good and practical phono-stage for playing vinyle records?

No-where in the world a brand-new and best-rated stereo amplifier (with phono-stage) is available whose price is less than US$300/- than Yamaha’s A-S500, or else you should visit a junk dealer’s shop for a vintage machine to satisfy your good taste.

Please keep in mind, in my previous dispatch I was NOT talking of purchasing a historical second-hand machine from a scrap dealer.

I could not have ever thought someone would drag me into a second-hand market, or scrapeyard… I really meant a new one, I repeat NEW… Not a discarded one, please note well.

One is naiive, having in mind a royal hobby and for it, not enough money in the pocket. And also, if you don’t have funds, you should not have come to this prestigeous forum asking for so many expensive things in such a meagre amount. It is like someone who don’t have money for buying a bread but still dreaming of a cake!

For your kind information, the machine which I was referring to, is still current in the production, ready for delivery in shops’ shelfs, still available on the company’s website (see for yourself) meaning they have not discarded it yet. Companies do not usually eliminate a model having a reputation of gaining full marks from reputable and respected magazines especially in the amplifier category.

I have given my sincere advice clearly urging someone to raise his budget. There was no need to mention it in words because sometime a gesture is enough to be understood. That is to say a nod is enough for a wiseman. It was deemed to be understood.

In the end, I will not advice him to visit an scrape dealer’s shop for fulfillment of his apptite.

Now thats what I call ranting.......

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
As for amps, the DENON PMA720AE is now available for 189 UK pounds, if you can find one at this price its a steal, the built in phono stage on this amp is superb(could not tell any differance between that and a CA azur 651P phono amp) , Although rated lower than the AS500 in Watts per channel the Denon has high current delivery, and can drive most speakers without fuss

clegtr

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much, I think I will get the Denon then. The Audio Technica Turntable looks very nice aswell, but is there a version without usb?

Lastly, as a complete Hifi noob I have to ask the question, how do I determine if the speaker fit the amp? In guitar amps (only got experience with them) you always have to pair the speakers with the outputs with their specific resistance. Now I looked at my speakers, but couldn't find any information about ohm values. Is this important?

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
rafeeq said:

Wow!

As I understood it, this is a 'Forum', where people are free to ask questions and exchange ideas/information in a way that is helpful and hopefully friendly.

Simply because an idea isn't immediately subscribed to (eg. buying a Yamaha amp....), and people suggest alternative options, is it really time to start throwing toys out of the pram..? Surely not.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
clegtr said:
Thank you very much, I think I will get the Denon then. The Audio Technica Turntable looks very nice aswell, but is there a version without usb?

Lastly, as a complete Hifi noob I have to ask the question, how do I determine if the speaker fit the amp? In guitar amps (only got experience with them) you always have to pair the speakers with the outputs with their specific resistance. Now I looked at my speakers, but couldn't find any information about ohm values. Is this important?

The impedance shouldn't be an issue. Some amps (mostly lower powered designs) have issues driving speakers with awkward loads, but if you're getting something like the Denon you should have nothing to worry about (it's capable of driving speakers from 4-8ohms, which your speakers will undoubtedly be).

Regarding the AT T/T - it's only available with USB connections, but has regular analogue connections, so you can try to ignore the others! It is supposed to be a good deck for the money, but unlikely to be able to give you the listening pleasure that the Project will, in my opinion.

clegtr said:

Nowhere near as complicated as guitar amps. HiFi speakers generally fall in the 4-8ohm category and will be drive by just about any amp.

Regards your speakers if you search for them as spelt you find nothing....... however if you search mulindine then...voila!

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3DMulidine%2Bcarats&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=fr&u=http://www.cristatechnologies.fr/fiche-A%257CCRISTA%257Ccarat-01050000000000.html&usg=ALkJrhh1j5V1iTgGIukn8hvOCI5OCScepQ

:grin:

clegtr

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
gramps23 said:
Regarding the AT T/T - it's only available with USB connections, but has regular analogue connections, so you can try to ignore the others! It is supposed to be a good deck for the money, but unlikely to be able to give you the listening pleasure that the Project will, in my opinion.

Awww, now I was almost sure that the AT was my TT of choice :grin: I am however confused which Pro-Ject we're talking about now. Also, is 250euros (342usd, 209gbp) a good deal on the AT? The Pro-Ject Essential II would cost cost the same, while the Pro-Ject Essential Basic would cost 228euros (312usd, 191gbp). All those are amazon prices.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts