Finally...

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Finally we can see more and more Hi Fi speakers ( still not so many ) which serve acoustical adjustments like the JBL 4309 Studio Monitor with UHF trimmer. 90% of all Hi Fi speakers are missing these features what makes them unsuitable for room adjustments and are the nightmare for audiophiles who need to pursue the perfect speakers. As a user of studio monitor speakers I can absolutely confirm that such features are and should be the most implemented in ALL HIFI speakers ( as they are in studio monitors ) and please do not tell me that it is not necessary because we have amp knobs....Extremely important feature. I wish all of the Hi Fi speakers had them and that possibly would save a lot of compatibility troubles. I still have no clue why the makers do not implement them - in studio speakers it is a must for example. Can someone confirm or disprove my point here...

insider9

Stereo manufacturers rely on manufacturing 😂 Selling you speakers that don't have this functionality means you're more likely to buy more and more often. And each time eventually be slightly unhappy with your purchase, prompting another purchase.

I absolutely use controls on my monitors but I had them calibrated in my listening room at my listening position. Much different to just twiddling the knobs. I'd so be reluctant to upgrade to a pair without controls. Equally love the fact my hifi speakers don't have anything unnecessary in signal path.

I'm happy with variety. Wouldn't want a one fits all approach either way. And many studio monitors don't have them anyway, just like hifi speakers.

Reactions: stereoman
How is it so different from 'twiddeling the knobs' on an amp?
Assuming your amp has knobs to twiddle, and many now don't, it allows you to keep a dedicated sound regardless of which amp you choose to use.
Adapting speakers to your room is a tad harder than finding an amp to drive them.
Unless you are lucky enough to own something by Lyngdorf this is the next best thing.

I'd rather choose a pair that work in my room. I was always of the understanding that tone controls are detrimental to absolute sound quality, and however you tinker with things, that's what we are talking about. Not had any form of tone control for decades, and have never been unhappy with how things sound.

Is this sort of issue one that primarily affects smaller listening spaces?

Jobb

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Assuming your amp has knobs to twiddle, and many now don't, it allows you to keep a dedicated sound regardless of which amp you choose to use.
Adapting speakers to your room is a tad harder than finding an amp to drive them.
Unless you are lucky enough to own something by Lyngdorf this is the next best thing.
Ah yes, hadn't thought of that.

It’s an interesting thought. My very first Hifi speakers were the delightful Acoustic Research AR4xa, and they had a switch at the back for the tweeter level. They were not by any stretch a bright speaker and I always used the Flat setting - I think that was the label. The duller setting seemed pretty irrelevant to me, but perhaps hard-floored and floor to ceiling glazed apartments in their home country needed a bit of mellowing.

Since then I’ve owned about seven other quite different designs and used many more, but never thought ‘if only I had a tweeter level control’. I get the intention, and as you say, studio designs always have them. For me that’s more logical, to cater for free-standing, stand, or shelf mounted options.

Last edited:

AJM1981

Finally we can see more and more Hi Fi speakers ( still not so many ) which serve acoustical adjustments like the JBL 4309 Studio Monitor with UHF trimmer. 90% of all Hi Fi speakers are missing these features what makes them unsuitable for room adjustments and are the nightmare for audiophiles who need to pursue the perfect speakers. As a user of studio monitor speakers I can absolutely confirm that such features are and should be the most implemented in ALL HIFI speakers ( as they are in studio monitors ) and please do not tell me that it is not necessary because we have amp knobs....Extremely important feature. I wish all of the Hi Fi speakers had them and that possibly would save a lot of compatibility troubles. I still have no clue why the makers do not implement them - in studio speakers it is a must for example. Can someone confirm or disprove my point here...

confirmed :)

I get the impression that studio monitors have been pushing the general hifi world forward for the better starting not that long time ago.

Maybe it is because since producing at home became more of a thing starting with applications like Reason, Garageband and a more developed Logic all those home producers switched to monitors at some point.

Also the hifi world is kind of stuck in the past. I really don't know why we still have to strip cables and attach them to binding posts like it is 1960 or whatever year they started this feature. Speaker brands like B&W and Wharfedale will also have 4 binding posts till the end of time I guess.

Reactions: stereoman

manicm

I’m slightly baffled as to why so many insist on larger speakers in smaller UK homes.

It’s like telling Ferrari to tune their engine for town driving.

So now you want all manner of adjustments. Then also be prepared to pay more.

abacus

Most studio monitors are active so it is fairly easy to have inbuilt adjustments, however most Hi-Fi speakers are passive which makes it difficult to add adjustments that don’t cause other problems.

In addition how an amp reacts with a particular speaker (Unless it’s really high end with plenty of oomph) would be even more variable if the adjustment were added. (Actives give the manufacture full control to optimise the speaker/amp combination)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts