Finally going to take the plunge for a BK XLS200 subwoofer!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Been looking at this for months ever since I got my Q acoustic 1050i floorstanders with the 1000s subwoofer. The 1050i were replacing some missions and although happy with the rest of the sound they just didnt go as low as I would have liked. So I bought a Q acoustics 1000s to add to the stereo setup.

This was my first subwoofer so I didnt know what to expect but even with it added it just wouldnt give me enough low end grunt. Yes there is bass but nothing to be happy about and the port makes it sound muddy. Although not always but sometimes I would like to be able to make my windows rattle (dont worry my neighbours already hate me) So this has bought me to the attention of other manufacturers and im now in debate over the xls200 or the mj acoustics pro 50mk2. These are both around the £300 mark and both available in black. The problem is I cant demo the bk nor can it be refunded and Im thinking can I really get serious bass for this kind of money? Also how much of a improvement am I going to get over my 1000s (not the newer si)?

Some may spend £300 on a single interconnect but to me its a fair amount of money so all help is apprecited.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I thought MJ Acoustics were one of the companies supplied by BK? Wasn't the Pro50 very similar to the Minotaur?

I vaguely remember a thread where Will (I think) had tried to arrange samples of BK and SVS product for WH-F, and I've been eagerly awaiting any news. There is a lot of hype around BK on another forum, but then there are also people there hyping up a lot of other products, some of which I've tried and been disappointed with, so I'd like a professional opinion on the matter
emotion-1.gif

I'm considering an XL200 myself, but I feel that if I got one, I'd probably always wonder how good the Monolith is! So maybe I should just bite the bullet and go for that. There's likely to be additional costs incurred with the Monolith though. I'd most likely have to do some groundwork beforehand, involving handbags and shoes
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

You can get a refund on the BK! distance selling apply wether BK like it or not!

As for which sub to go for i cant say ive heard the xls200 but i have heard the pro 50mk2 and the mj ref 200 and a monolith. and i can say the monolith is in differnt leugue to ref200 and half the price. in fact ive more than heard ive owned all of the abouve in my search for killer bass. silly me

A

Anonymous

so confused with all this. The monolith is too big so my only option from BK woud be the xls200. I really need to speak to someone who has owned one of these. Gareth what did you think of the mj pro50mk2?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
There are plenty of owners and positive reports out there.

I guess it's bad form to recommend another site specifically, but if you google 'BK XLS200 review' you'll get a few results.

A

Anonymous

The mj was fast tight but had no depth! it just runs out of puff to quickly for me. have you lookes at the bk xls300 it sits inbetween the 200 and the monolith

A

Anonymous

I auditioned the mj acoustics pro 50mk2 and whilst it went down low I thought it sounded a bit boxy when the volume was turned up, probably due to the fairly underpowered amp. I went with the Epos M in the end (£250 from £650 at Superfi) and think the overall sound from that is better. It might not go quite as low but it's definitely a cleaner sound - expecially at higher volumes.

The Epos M is very big though.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
TBH, It doesn't really seem like it
emotion-1.gif
I've seen previous threads about BK, SVS and the likes die out rather quickly too.

Many of the people that have them use them more for movies, rather than music, so maybe that's why you're not seeing too many replies in the hi-fi section.

If you do what I suggested in my previous post, it'll take you to a site where loads of people have them, and their competitors. You'll get all the info you need. I'd rather not spell out the name of the site though
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I have a 7 year old BKXLS200 and i think has developed a "pop" sound about every 30 minutes or so... it happens when not in use ie-on standby?.... thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Stephens said:
I have a 7 year old BKXLS200 and i think has developed a "pop" sound about every 30 minutes or so... it happens when not in use ie-on standby?.... thanks.

Your best bet is to give BK Electronics a ring.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I own a BK XLS200 DF mkII, my room is about 45m2 (is a large room), got beneath the sub slab of marble to reflect the sound, and the neighbor on the 2nd floor does not shake so much ...And underneath the slab have a small rubber mat that cuts the vibrations of the marble contact with the wooden floor. 8)

I do not use the sub to stereo, just for home cinema, and I'll tell you one thing, it moves a lot of air, even at lowest volumes, and goes deep! :twisted:

IMO the BK 200 is not comparable with any £ 300 sub, but with more expensive ones.

Is a fantastic piece in my AV kit!

Very important, because of is small measurements, is wife frendly...!

You have to believe what you read on the web about the BK, or have a friend with one. In Portugal this task is more difficult than in the UK, but I believed.

I don't sell mine, even if someone pays me more than it costed.

I love this sub! :clap:

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I am a BK owner. I am surprised no one has mentioned the XXLS400 yet, if you want to ‘rattle the windows’ but can’t fit the Monolith then you should consider the 400. It is a very similar design to the 200 but has a larger cabinet volume, larger driver and more power, plus it isn’t that much more expensive. Perhaps a bit more than you want to spend but for about an extra £100 or so you quite a much more substantial sub. I think you will reach the limit of the 10” driver in the 200 if you are craving bass, the 12” makes quite a bit of difference and will give you extra depth and headroom making it more power but also much more effortless when you push it.

Don’t get me wrong, the 200 is a fine buy and I think you get a lot of pleasure from it but for the price difference of a night out on the town you’ll get a sub which will fully satisfy you for many years to come.

I not a bass fiend but I wanted my first sub (which the 400 is) to also be a long term purchase that would satisfy me for many years, extra bass for some electronic music when I called upon it but mainly for HT use. It is a really solid purchase as is any of the BK range. They simply cannot be matched for price (unless you go DIY), are very well made and come in a wide choice of finfishes.

Just a note to those mentioned the 300 which is a passive radiator design (which would be my choice anyway), but this model has been discontinued.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts