Finally getting hifi separates - What is worth buying??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

Very soon (I hope) I will be purchasing a Marantz PM6004 Amp along with either a Rega RP1 or Pro-ject Genie 3 turntable. Oh, and of course a descent set of speakers, anything from Dali Zensors to Kef Q300s.

Now I'm pretty set on this system bar a few further hours with both turnables. (i'm lucky enough to have a independant hi-fi store with test room nearby)

Where I need help is with the questions of whether I should invest money in both a head-phone amplifier and an external DAC.

I love to listen to music through headphones (Grado SR80i) and most of my music is high quality music files on my laptap (Apple lossless and Spotify).

I have been considering the likes of Pro-ject headbox MKII (headphone amp) and a DAC similar to the HRT Streamer II. But ultimately how much will these add-ons improve my system? What are the equivilant internal components in the Marantz like compared to the External add-ons.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated (even cheaper suggestions that may not have stellar reviews but offer improvements on the Marantz.

Thanks to anyone who even takes the time to read this.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Marantz have excellent headphone jacks and you really don't need a seperate headphone amp for your Grado's (and thinking of the Head Box I thought it was horrible).

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Agreed sizzers, the Marantz headphone outs are really good and a good match for the Grado's, this used to be a set up of mine and was insperation to upgrade but thats another story.

Improvements can be made from adding a dedicated DAC but that all depends on the quality of the soundcard fitted and if so how much you want to spend. I've read good things about a little Behringer interface the UCA202 USB which also has a headphone out, not that it will be needed.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/behringer-uca202-review.html

A

Anonymous

Wow,

thanks for the replies and the speed thereof. Had also heard that the Marantz have good headphone jacks but thanks for the confirmation on that point. Also thanks for the info on the Interface. I live in Germany and the Behring being a German brand should mean I can pick it up on the cheap. Just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for slightly cheaper turntables? The prices of the Rega and the Genie are a lot higher than the standard British RRPs here in Germany. Any info is a great help.

Thanks again for previous replies

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
The cheapest German made TT would probably be the Clear Audio Concept which over here fetches £1100. How much do the TT's your looking at fetch in Germany?

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
eyegrado said:
Just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for slightly cheaper turntables? The prices of the Rega and the Genie are a lot higher than the standard British RRPs here in Germany. Any info is a great help.
Have a look at Music Hall, the mmf-2.2 costs 399 Euro.

http://www.phonar.de/mmf_2_2.php

I'd also recommend auditioning the Music Hall a15.2.

http://www.phonar.de/mh_a15.2_amp.php

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
eyegrado said:
Just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for slightly cheaper turntables? The prices of the Rega and the Genie are a lot higher than the standard British RRPs here in Germany.

A great classic and still being made...

Click

Some other shops in DE where it is available...

Click

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts