Finally!, bought a used TT Rotel RP3000

After a fair few weeks of indecision, i finally "won" a Rotel RP3000 turntable on fleabay, it looks to be in good condition with a tonearm resembling an sme3009.

i've no idea whether its going to be any good or not, and to be honest, it was only £100 so it was worth a punt.

its direct drive, and classic 1970's style which for some reason i really like. Hoping to collect it at some point tomorrow and give it a good going over and see how it looks.

anyone ever owned one of these or know anything about them?

I remember when they were launched, and I had one to set up with a SME 3009 and a Shure V15III cartridge, which was the M75ED's big brother. I recall it didn't have the freedom of sound that the better belt drive decks had, and the plinth was a bit thrummy, so you will need secure platform for it. But if the motor is still going it will probably last forever.

The 75ED tracks at up to 1.5 grams so start at about 1.3. I think you can stil get replacement styli, but you might prefer to choose a new cartridge altogether. That would double your outlay though.

I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for that Nopiano, i'll be collecting it at the weekend. I've bought it as a bit of a stop-gap really. I couldn't make my mind up on which deck to get, so i thought i'd get something to use while i save up for something else. there is so much choice out there when it comes to turntables.i've spent hours and hours searching through forums and reviews, but i'm no closer to making a final decision. there are some really nice turntables out there.

i haven't collected it yet and i'm already looking at potential upgrades.

apparantly, direct drive TT's are a bit noisy, so i'm looking at getting an acrylic platter made and buying some acoustic damping for it.

I'd suggest avoiding "upgrades" like that as they will detract from the very thing that attracted you in the first place, originality! A newer platter won't make a meaningful difference anyway, though you might try a cheap mat as it will change the sound.

i'll be giving it a thorough going over first, and trying it out as it is before i do any (if any) mods to it. i think a frosted acrylic platter would look good on there though!i think the first thing i should do is put a decent cartridge on there. i don't know what is currently on there, but i'd guess its gonna be old and tired.

bigfish786 said:
i'll be giving it a thorough going over first, and trying it out as it is before i do any (if any) mods to it. i think a frosted acrylic platter would look good on there though!i think the first thing i should do is put a decent cartridge on there. i don't know what is currently on there, but i'd guess its gonna be old and tired.
Yes, I see that I assumed you had a Shure cartridge but you hadn't said! I think I'd checked out eBay and saw one with a 75ED and thought it must be yours - oops. Remember some cartridges only need a replacement stylus to be as good as new, and you might find swapping head shells fun, something rarely possible on modern arms.

so, tonight i go to bed dreaming about picking my TT up. tomorrow morning, i have a nice drive to Buxton,Derbyshire to collect it. I'm as giddy as a kid at Xmas.

** has anyone used the phono stage in the leema pulse? is it up to much?**

image-2.jpg
image.jpg
[/URL][/img]

this is what it looked like when i got it home.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
@floyd-highly unlikely! i've had several hours of listening now, i'm very impressed.

Well there you go then , just enjoy your new toy. Just one point , although it could be my eyes , but your tone arm looks somewhat high at the back end.

Absolutely loving the sound of the turntable. I'm very surprised at how good it is. I've ordered some red vinyl wrap to re-cover the plinth and bring it up to date a little. I'll post pics once I've done it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts