Finally, a reference blu ray for 3D and Atmos!!

Blu rays so far have been brilliant for either 3D or Atmos. Transformers had very good Atmos effect and decent 3D, but the film itself wasn't good. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a terrible film, with average 3D and Atmos. Gravity either has a 3D disc or Atmos, but not both. John Wick has an excellent Atmos sound but no 3D. Same with Expendables 3.

Finally, looks like Mad Max is a superb film, with reference 3D and Atmos!! I accidentally pre-ordered a 2D disc which I'm sending back. 3D disc will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait for the weekend!!! *yahoo*

Review here.

This is what they say about sound:
"In the same way that the film's visuals are a relentless feast for your eyeballs, so Fury Road's Dolby Atmos soundtrack is an equally merciless sonic assault on your aural senses. This is easily one of the best and most immersive Atmos soundtracks released to date and really demonstrates what can be achieved with today's immersive sound designs. In much the same way as the 3D largely avoids gimmicks to create a realistic dimensional experience visually, so the sound designers have done something similar to create a wonderfully layered sonic experience. Although there are instances where the sound design does draw attention to itself, for the most part it concentrates on utterly immersing you in the world of Max, Furiosa and Immorten Joe.
As you watch the film you're aware of being surrounded by a hemisphere of sound, from the gentle wind of the deserts during the film's rare moments of respite, to the roaring dust storm that totally envelops you. The sounds of the vehicles completely fill the room, with the low frequency roar of the engines sounding frighteningly realistic. The explosions, gunfire and other sonic mayhem are all rendered with wonderful precision, whilst dialogue always remains clear and distinct. The percussive score drives the film along at a breathless pace and is perfectly reproduced with superb clarity, making Fury Road one of the best overall soundtracks we've ever heard. So put away your copies of Gravity because there's a new Atmos demo disc in town!"

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
The current issue of Home Cinema Choice magazine (number 252, November 2015) is similarly effusive about both the sound and vision of the 2D disc (they didn't have the 3D disc, though they knew of its existence). It's the disc of the month. For instance, they say about the audio

"While the audio is every bit as powerful as you'd expect from what is essentially a two-hour car chase, it's not simply a wall of noise. There's a sense of purpose and design to every element, with the clarity and range giving you ample opportunities to savour it all.

Comparing the core Dolby TrueHD 7.1 mix to the Dolby Atmos stream it's hard not to be impressed by the way in which the latter enhances your acoustic enjoyment. Music and atmospheric effects regularly expand out into the height channel, creating a more coherent and immersive experience."

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
To each his own, but until such a time that immersive audio for the domestic environment is offered with discreet channels, I'm not convinced. Even so, installing an immersive audio system creates so many variable challenges if you want true fidelity from each and every speaker installed I'll probably pass. It's challenging enough with a 5.1 system.

In a large theater immersive audio might make sense... but for the home... nah...

Max Max : Fury Road in discreet 5.1 on my system sounds sublime!

D

Deleted member 2457

RickyDeg said:
To each his own, but until such a time that immersive audio for the domestic environment is offered with discreet channels, I'm not convinced. Even so, installing an immersive audio system creates so many variable challenges if you want true fidelity from each and every speaker installed I'll probably pass. It's challenging enough with a 5.1 system.

In a large theater immersive audio might make sense... but for the home... nah...

Agree.

RickyDeg said:
To each his own, but until such a time that immersive audio for the domestic environment is offered with discreet channels, I'm not convinced. Even so, installing an immersive audio system creates so many variable challenges if you want true fidelity from each and every speaker installed I'll probably pass. It's challenging enough with a 5.1 system.

?

In a large theater immersive audio might make sense... but for the home... nah...?

?

You need to demo a properly set up Atmos in a home to really appreciate the benefits. Too bad if you can't set Atmos up in your house for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean Atmos is rubbish or gimmicky. You're welcome to demo at my place.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
You need to demo a properly set up Atmos in a home to really appreciate the benefits. Too bad if you can't set Atmos up in your house for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean Atmos is rubbish or gimmicky. You're welcome to demo at my place.

Certainly wouldn't say no to that! Having a look at your system and your theater room in general, it certainly looks fantastic! Very clean installation with an inviting atmosphere! Kudos to you for that!

*good*

For the record; I'm not being a skeptic just for the sake of it. I can only go by what I've heard and prefer. I've experienced two immersive audio systems in domestic environments and another in a treated demo room at a dealer. One of them had those horrific add-on speakers (a terrible concept if you ask me) and the other two were 'proper' installations with either in-ceiling or on-ceiling speakers (four in total). Each system I was told had been calibrated. One of these were pretty good with selected scenes from certain source material but overall the immersive systems did not wow me the way I expected them to. Things sounded a bit 'off' at times to my ears, sometimes muffled/diffuse and other times lack of overall soundstage focus. The moment I switched each of these systems to 'direct' in order to play the core soundtrack things snapped back into focus. Yes, the overhead effects were lost but otherwise things felt more accurate and natural to my ears.

Even though I know it's not the same thing because this is object-based audio, the experience reminded me of the front height and side width speaker algorithms from a few years back. I didn't care much for the effect of those either. But that was more or less pseudo-effects, right? This is supposed to be different. Even so... it's not discreetly mixed channels for the home environment. I know folks who went for set-ups like the previous ones but who have now scaled things back to 'normal' set-ups because at the end of the day it sounds better to them.

In all sincerity the task and knowledge of properly implementing 11 channels or more and doing it equally well for each and every speaker is no cakewalk for most domestic dwellers with merely a living room at their disposal (and limited know-how). If you have a dedicated room, perhaps, with the appropriate funds/time/energy/determination to go all out on maximum fidelity per installed speaker then ok... all the more power to you!

I'd much rather stick to a "standard" speaker set-up myself and continue working on improving that. More speakers will not make me happier at this point. Better room acoustics with improved fidelity from of the current ones will.

Just my two cents. Nothing more, nothing less.

*smile*

My experience is nowhere to what you've experienced at the demos. I would question the audio calibration, even though the dealer claims otherwise. Gravity and first scene of Expendables 3 stand out as properly using Atmos. Even John Wick is very good. I'm hoping to watch Mad Max this weekend.

You're welcome to visit if you're coming towards York.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Good for you!

Enjoy MAD MAX : Fury Road! It's just a great film, regardless of how we enjoy the soundtrack!

Thanks for the invite! I must re-visit Blighty soon!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Well there is always something new to buy. How else will they lay their hands on our hard earned cash.

There is of course truth to that. They gotta keep the business living and breathing!

I'll spend my money elsewhere though *bye* lol

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The idea of immersive audio does make sense to fill a gap in the sound field

However as always there will be different ways to implement it for quality vs gimmicks vs distraction.

And squeezing speakers more into essentially less space will not be without its compromise as it always is.

But if improves a films enjoyment or wow factor then fair play go for it

Just finished watching the film. Wow!!!

Both audio and video are top notch!!! 3D is superb, and Atmos is out of this world!! This could easily have been just noise, but they used all the channels very well to separate audio. It felt as if you're in the scene! A definite reference disc this year!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
jjbomber said:
Mad Maxine would be a better title.

Agreed. *biggrin*

I couldn't wait for the weekend to watch this. :)

My funds don't allow impulse purchases, so I will just have to wait until HMV or FOPP offer the 3D version in their "two discs for £25" deal, which is how I now buy 3D discs. But I will be getting it, it sounds and looks like demo material. I might just have to wait until Christmas!

I don't have Dolby Atmos, but I'm still keen to hear how it sounds in my, biggest, 12.1 system.

You're welcome again, Son_of_SJ! :)

I watched again on Sunday....the experience was even better!! Bass is absolutely spot on, you could decipher every vehicle out. The precision is just insane!! If anyone has reservations about 3D, this is the one to watch!! :D

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
And your verdict is .......?

In my view Fury Road is the best action film since The Matrix.

Not only is the film a blast and genuinely insane, Fury Road becomes a richer experience on repeat viewings.

There's no conventional exposition; but the more you watch, the more you realise just how intricately crafted the storyworld is -- every question you could ask about how these post-apocalyptic societies evolved (and where these characters came from) is coded in the dialogue, costumes, sets, make-up and vehicle design. It's all there, just waiting to be unpacked. This is supremely efficient filmmaking and storytelling. Loved it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts