3D TV.....Only recently got BLU RAY.......ever feel your being taken for a ride!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok I am not crazy mad at the situation because life is to short but do you ever get the feeling that you are being stiched up. I would be interested to hear others opinions as to the introduction of 3D TV. I, like many others waited and waited to see who would come out victorious in the HD vs Blu ray battle. Blu ray won and the players came down in price,,,,,then it was all Blu ray this Blu ray that! I love Blueray and enjoy it a bit too regularly, which I guess shoul be good enough. However,

Does anyone think the sudden push for 3D TV is to soon. I as a consumer I feel a bit let down by the companies I have backed all my life. Only in the pasts 2 and a half years have I purchased a plasma 42" HD samsung, a reasonable AV amp and Blu ray player. Will these products be 3DTV compatible................................I very much doubt it! Are they really expecting me and many others to shell out for this "new" tecnology so soon after Blu ray landed. Many people will be thinking " what if I'd waited a few months." I know this happens all the time in technology. I am not that Nieve( spelling) but this seems too soon.....

I probably won't be able to change my kit now for another 5 - 10 years. So where do I stand in all this! Well my one hope is that even though I have seen 3DTV demonstrated and very much liked it, I hope it fails! and 5 - 10 years down the line I can make a purchase on equipment that wipes the floor with it.

Any way all views welcome.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

yup sorry.....not the worlds greatest speller,,,,,,,I make up for it itother ways.
emotion-2.gif

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
I don't think its too soon, if anything a little late!!

However, all is not lost, I read somewhere that Samsung or LG (I can't remember) are developing a set top box that will convert an ordinary tv into one capable of displaying 3D (presumably using the shutter type glasses as the other methods require special glass / lenses in the screen).

Also, maybe the way forward is the PS3. I had this conversation elsewhere. It seems that dedicated players at least at the lower end of the market are becoming ever more poor value. Like you say, you buy one, one minute and the whole technology is defunct the next. Yet with the PS3, they just put out a firmware updatefor free - in case you haven't gathered by now Sony are upgrading the PS3 to 3D player via a free firmware update.

As for why 3D, well I think its probably becuase Blu Ray sales have never managed to achieve the levels they were expected to. But then again thats what happens when you have endless format wars. If the manufacturers got together and agreed a format in advance between themselves then they'd save us all a lot of grief and obtain much better sales for themselves. Format wars only put people off purchasing. I mean face it, of those of us who did buy, how many waited until after HD DVD had died?

A

Anonymous

many would argue that bluray is doing quite well now , although having to battle with hd dvd obviously wasnt helpful .

as for the manufacturers getting together to agree things ? they might have done that when starting their investement in 3d , and made sure there was at least a dozen decent 3d blurays ready for the release of the 3d tvs ? at the moment , there is the grand total of ONE 3d bluray , monsters and aliens , absolutely rediculous ...

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Technology cycles are shorter now - you can be sure there will be something else in 5 years time - super hi-def or 4D.

My theory is to only spend a lot of money on things you intend keeping a long time. I didn't buy a Plasma until the rate of development slowed but then bought a Pioneer Kuro which i fully intend to keep for 10 years (no interest in 3D here). Buy top end speakers (as the tech doesn't change and I'll be keeping them a long time) but don't overspend on Amp or Sources (I don't believe my viewing is critical enough to benefit from more than a low end Blu Ray player) as the tech here changes more rapidly.

A

Anonymous

I agree I've spent a few quid on the kit I have and only had my blu ray player about a year ago and even that is out of date but i will keep it for few years before i upgrade to a new model, as for my 18month old lcd flat screen that will be on the wall till it stops working, Technology is moving so fast these days it's hard to keep up with all this new tech but as for 3D it can stay at the cinemas i have no intention of forking out all that money on a new TV, Blu ray player, stupid glasses they can keep it.

A

Anonymous

Not really, its not like they have super high def now, but they release an infirior product, only to scam us and release it 2 years later.

Technology moves so fast, and once they have mastered one thing they forget about it and start moving to the next, because if they dont others will.

So just like computer tech it will always evolve and you will never future proof anything.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
brittondave:
Ok I am not crazy mad at the situation because life is to short but do you ever get the feeling that you are being stiched up. I would be interested to hear others opinions as to the introduction of 3D TV. I, like many others waited and waited to see who would come out victorious in the HD vs Blu ray battle. Blu ray won and the players came down in price,,,,,then it was all Blu ray this Blu ray that! I love Blueray and enjoy it a bit too regularly, which I guess shoul be good enough. However,

Does anyone think the sudden push for 3D TV is to soon. I as a consumer I feel a bit let down by the companies I have backed all my life. Only in the pasts 2 and a half years have I purchased a plasma 42" HD samsung, a reasonable AV amp and Blu ray player. Will these products be 3DTV compatible................................I very much doubt it! Are they really expecting me and many others to shell out for this "new" tecnology so soon after Blu ray landed. Many people will be thinking " what if I'd waited a few months." I know this happens all the time in technology. I am not that Nieve( spelling) but this seems too soon.....

I probably won't be able to change my kit now for another 5 - 10 years. So where do I stand in all this! Well my one hope is that even though I have seen 3DTV demonstrated and very much liked it, I hope it fails! and 5 - 10 years down the line I can make a purchase on equipment that wipes the floor with it.

Any way all views welcome.
emotion-1.gif

Seven years ago I had a Panasonic mobile phone which came with a tiny (massive now) add on camera. I thought it was a feat of magnitude! Now I have a phone that lets you move the screen with your fingers, watch live tv and send videos via email. In between a lot of new ideas and models have come along (can you still get Panasonic mobile phones?!). I haven't bought a new phone each time a development happened. Same with AV and HiFi. You don't have to buy just because something has been improved. If you are happy with bluray, fine. Also, the companies are not timing new products to suit the consumer, they are doing it to stay afloat - make money. Bad timing for you might be perfect timing for many others. I bet there are a lot of people who have not upgraded to bluray yet and are thinking, ooh, I'll get a 3D player in 6 months time. There will be something else that shows up after that....

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I think that there's another consideration as well.

I bought an all new AV setup about 12 years ago. Although it now looks ancient it still performs perfectly well and my wife and I have been very happy with this arrangement. The main driver for us was the digital TV switchover, so we deliberately decided to wait until our region (Midlands) was 'going digital' before investing in any new kit, and the recent spate of news of releases of lots of new high quality equipment later this year is music to our ears, as the timing is perfect.

A

Anonymous

Yup, 4KHD is on it's way!! 4000 x 2000 resolution instead of 1920 x 1080!

I'm skipping the whole 3D thing, can't see it really taking hold for a few years, are people really going to sit with glasses on at home? Not too bad in a cinema as it's a special feature, and even gaming has it's stronghold as this would completely transform the gaming market.

Eastenders 3D? I think not.

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
If they would introduce 4D TV...like that cinema in S Korea (I think) where they showed "Avatar", now that would be worth owning...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
4D takes in the time dimension. You arrive at the cinema at the time the screening is due to begin, but when you get in you find it started half an hour ago.

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Don't we already have that but in reverse? You arrive at the cinema at the time the film is meant to start but STILL have to watch half an hour of adverts and trailers?

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
b33k34:Don't we already have that but in reverse? You arrive at the cinema at the time the film is meant to start but STILL have to watch half an hour of adverts and trailers?

That's the greedy dimension...

I was referring to the cinema in Korea where for "Avatar" they added about 25 different effects including water spraying, laser lights, wind, and the ability to smell explosions. And of course, seats that move...

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
It's all down to choice. I choose not to buy into 3D, it doesn't interest me....in the same way that not every owner of a HD tv also has blu ray and a home cinema package. Tech moves forward at an alarming rate, you can choose not to be one of the first. It's not like you will be shunned by society if you don't buy it. IMHO there will be many people with high end 3D gear who in the not to distant future will find a significant lack of '3D' media to play on it as it 'crashes and burns' i believe it's only a gimmick and serves no useful purpose.

A

Anonymous

Nyorker:
b33k34:Don't we already have that but in reverse? You arrive at the cinema at the time the film is meant to start but STILL have to watch half an hour of adverts and trailers?

That's the greedy dimension...

I was referring to the cinema in Korea where for "Avatar" they added about 25 different effects including water spraying, laser lights, wind, and the ability to smell explosions. And of course, seats that move...

It's also known as 6D, I guess because it involves all 6 senses. There's also a cinema in Bucharest that does it.

Endless possibilities for fun in the home. Imagine something like U-571 in 6D....

Edit: 6 senses? What am I on about?.... brain fade kicked in there!!!

A

Anonymous

The HC market has been "trickle fed" technology for many years now, noticeably since the introduction of DVD.

The old school hi-fi buff mentality of buying something at an aspirational price that you'll get 10+ years service out of has passed; Anyone buying new HC kit with an eye on the future should really spend with a 4-5 year lifespan in mind.

3D itself doesn't annoy me, it's more the implications like HDMI 1.4 that pretty much relegates everything in the chain -player, amp, tele, even the leads- to the dustbin.

And don't get me started on the "only just enough for today" number of HDMI sockets on amps.

manicm

Is James Cameron the 3D home sector's worst nightmare?

Consider this - WB will re-release Avatar at cinemas for Imax, I think coinciding with the 3D BR release.

I think home 3D is a real gamble, I collect DVDs and BRs, but heck, if I want to watch 3D may as well go out for an evening.

So James isn't betting entirely on the home market.

And as a movie, Avatar is not the kind I'd really want to watch again.

A

Anonymous

The front cover of this month's What Hi*Fi says " The Great 3D Revoulution"...........with no punctuation after it.......I was wondering is it....

The Great 3D Revolution ?

The Great 3D Revolution !

The Great 3D Revolution ........................

The Great 3D Revolution.....£££££££

or is it just the title.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts