Finally, a reference blu ray for 3D and Atmos!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
strapped for cash said:
Son_of_SJ said:
And your verdict is .......?

In my view Fury Road is the best action film since The Matrix.

Not only is the film a blast and genuinely insane, Fury Road becomes a richer experience on repeat viewings.

There's no conventional exposition; but the more you watch, the more you realise just how intricately crafted the storyworld is -- every question you could ask about how these post-apocalyptic societies evolved (and where these characters came from) is coded in the dialogue, costumes, sets, make-up and vehicle design. It's all there, just waiting to be unpacked. This is supremely efficient filmmaking and storytelling. Loved it. 

Agreed regarding repeat viewings. :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I was going to pick it up to view tomorrow, but seeing as I'm on my October Horror Fest, I decided against. Plus the fact I'm only using 3.0 at the moment until the new LS50s turn up - going for all matt black all round...

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Just watching this film and its Visually and super sonically stunning. I mean stunning!

only running a 5.1.2 and it sounds mint. The picture qaulity is superb with great colours and deep inky blacks. I can't say anything more, just buy it and put your system to the test :)

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
jjbomber said:
bigboss said:
Finally, looks like Mad Max is a superb film, with reference 3D and Atmos!! I accidentally pre-ordered a 2D disc which I'm sending back. 3D disc will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait for the weekend!!! *yahoo*

Mad Maxine would be a better title.

Agreed. *biggrin*

I couldn't wait for the weekend to watch this. :)

yeah, more mad Maxine!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think the works well for Tom hardy when he has to do accents, less is more but he is great actor that's not a criticism

He is in black hawk down with a dodgy accent. Fair Play he has been in a lot of great films.

Saw the one recently where he is an agent chasing the same woman as his partner even that was decent much better than I expected

Looking forward to watching mad max soon

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy said:
I was a little dissapointed in Tomy Hardy, he 'hardly! Said anything through the film!

Sure, but Hardy was very consciously doing a "man with no name" routine.

Fury Road is purposefully constructed around western genre archetypes -- the man with no name (almost, Max does reveal his name at the end) must return to the wilderness (or post-apocalyptic landscape) as he is unable to assimilate with the newly emerging society.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Aspect ratio is 2.40:1. I've only watched the 3D version.

Well what a load of rubbish!!! i've seen it, it's a chase movie.. The atmos audio may well be reference but & its a BIG BUTT the film is absolute not good IMO, sorry BB but i'm afraid there are much better movies out there than this, i would'nt even waste my money on it. But if you love it then fine, you enjoy .. sorry mate not for me.

Each in their own. Rotten Tomatoes has compiled 303 critics' reviews and gave it 97%. So there are still 3%....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/

As strappedforcash said, the movie has a much deeper meaning.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Very true BB, the audience rating is a tad less, never the less if you like it thats fine by me chap you enjoy, . My favorite was the 1st one, proably because im an old fart.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
the movie has a much deeper meaning.

It's definitely a richer text than "it's a two hour chase movie" commentary suggests.

For the naysayers out there, I think it's useful to imagine how the narrative might have played out in different hands. The opening 45 minutes could have been devoted to back stories and story-world development. Where did Max and Furiosa come from? What traumas lie behind them? How did Joe establish and reinforce his cult/status? What torture and abuse was inflicted on the wives to ensure they remained sexually compliant? How and why did the apocalypse come about?

None of the above needs spelling out, however, because the information's there, in the nuances of language and religious belief, in the vehicle and set design, costume and make-up. The film doesn't patronise its audience, but rather invites them to go looking for this information.

It's also a movie that's consciously in dialogue with film history. Again, this isn't forced down viewers' throats in a "see, you get it" kind of way. The filmmakers respect the audience's intelligence .

Plus, as I say, it's a blast. *smile*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Plus, as I say, it's a blast. *smile*

As I may have said earlier, I'll definitely be getting it when its price reduces to the "two for £25" scheme for 3D Blu-rays at HMV or Fopp ...... I just have to decide on what other 3D disc to get at the same time!

D

Deleted member 2457

Now that my 3D is working again I will probably buy this too. Cheers.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Really enjoyed this, its mad no doubt but its also visually stunning and the sound is pumped up beyond belief even in lowly 5.2. Its a thrill ride film - another work of art movie, its glorious!!

Its got intstellar levels of bass througout pretty much the whole film.

Only watched in 2D as have no glasses yet but can imagine how good it will be in 3D.

I will be spinning this again for sure

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts