Films that may have escaped you

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I really must watch Scott Pilgrim soon. I love Edgar Wright movies, and I hear from fans that his film has followed the comics pretty faithfully - not that I've ever read the comics, but sounds interesting! If I'm not Need For Speeding it tonight, I'll borrow it off my brother.

A

Anonymous

Scott Pilgrim is also high on my to watch list. In fact I might watch it on Thursday night whilst Mrs.Grin is out mealing it with her mum and friends.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
61HShCLDUrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK said:
I found 'Red' very entertaining :)

One of the most 'out there' films ive seen recently was Scott Pilgrim V The World which I thought was awesome. I'd imagine many here would absolutely hate it - haha

+1 Scott Pilgrim is great with fast and funny editing. Also a great system tester. The soundtrack is very dynamic.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
One for the 'grindhouse' lovers

Hobo With A Shotgun - its goretastic :p

Oh man, that film sucks! I was looking forward to it, too, cos I like Rutger Hauer. Bad acting, bad script, bad effects. Bad, bad, bad.

I thought Scott Pilgrim was another let-down, too. I really looked forward to seeing it, but for me it was all style, no substance.

A

Anonymous

I finally got around to watching Scott Pilgrm at the weekend. I thought it was great, totally 'out there'. I think it is much better than Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz.
Style wise it reminded me of 'Crimewave' meets 'Kung Fu Hustle'.

Bretty I get where your coming from with the lack of substance but after all it is only a glorified chick flick story wise.

I also must mention that I also got around to watching Fight Club on Blu-ray. What a great twist at the beginning of the disc before the film starts.

A

Anonymous

Ok, some of these might be obvious but you never know....

1. Akira - The best manga ever made, one of the finest films ever made (in my opinion of course).

2. Ghost Dog - Forest Whitaker on fine form as a clinical and zen like assassin taking on his mob paymasters.

3. Buffalo 66 - A bloke kidnaps a girl after being released from jail but she ends up falling for him.

4. Assault On Precinct 13 - Original John Carpenter version, superior than the remake. Shocking scene involving an 8 year old child.

5. Dead Mans Shoes - I think everyone has seen this but it is very dark and satisfying, if you've missed it, GET IT.

6. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Funny, sad, exciting, warm, funny. Bill Murray's still got it.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
DeleteTheWeak said:
Ok, some of these might be obvious but you never know....

1. Akira - The best manga ever made, one of the finest films ever made (in my opinion of course).

2. Ghost Dog - Forest Whitaker on fine form as a clinical and zen like assassin taking on his mob paymasters.

3. Buffalo 66 - A bloke kidnaps a girl after being released from jail but she ends up falling for him.

4. Assault On Precinct 13 - Original John Carpenter version, superior than the remake. Shocking scene involving an 8 year old child.

5. Dead Mans Shoes - I think everyone has seen this but it is very dark and satisfying, if you've missed it, GET IT.

6. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Funny, sad, exciting, warm, funny. Bill Murray's still got it.

All good choices, Deletethweak.

Are you prepared for Hollywood to ruin 'Akira' with a live action version? If not, brace yourself, cos it's in pre-production now! They offered the lead to Keanu Reeves. Thankfully, he turned it down.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
Are you prepared for Hollywood to ruin 'Akira' with a live action version? If not, brace yourself, cos it's in pre-production now! They offered the lead to Keanu Reeves. Thankfully, he turned it down.

OMG no............
smiley-cry.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've just ordered the DVD of a Hungarian film called "Kontroll" having read the reviews on Amazon, sounds perfect for me, and I can't wait to see it.

I'll report back once seen, but sounds great for anyone who likes unusual films.

Anyone here seen it?

Would also recommend "Dogtooth" which someone on the forum recommended to me, hilarious, in a very odd way.

One old English film I think deserves a watch, is a cult horror film called "Psychomania", which has Beryl Reid, Nicky Henson, Bill Pertwee and Dot Cotton from Eastenders in it. To me it's an absolute classic, hilarious (accidentally), and has a corking soundtrack by John Cameron.

I first saw it late at night on BBC1, and have been a big fan ever since. Everyone I've ever recommended it to has become a fan, just don't take it seriously (as if you could).

Definitely in my all time top ten.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Would also recommend "Dogtooth" which someone on the forum recommended to me, hilarious, in a very odd way.

One old English film I think deserves a watch, is a cult horror film called "Psychomania", which has Beryl Reid, Nicky Henson, Bill Pertwee and Dot Cotton from Eastenders in it. To me it's an absolute classic, hilarious (accidentally), and has a corking soundtrack by John Cameron.

I first saw it late at night on BBC1, and have been a big fan ever since. Everyone I've ever recommended it to has become a fan, just don't take it seriously (as if you could).

Definitely in my all time top ten.

Im going to check both those out. Cheers pal

Ive just watched 'Monsters'. I loved it, kind of like Cloverfield mixed with a romance novel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts