Faulty KDL55HX923

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I'm over in the US and I also had the crease issue - although after watching this whole thing play out I feel like I originally had a pretty extreme case of the crease issue.

That said I had the screen replaced at Sony's suggestion and the replacement screen still has the crease. It's not as noticeable but now I'm having issues with the backlight, where it flickers when the screen goes from dark to bright on certain content - in addition to my blacks being not nearly as deep as they were on my original set.

Hoping that Sony will just replace the TV at this point and I'll live with whatever crease I get. Not ideal but I'd rather have the original crease than these new issues with the replacement panel.

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
apmare said:
Just be in to the Sony Shop in Bournemouth where they have both the 46" and the 55" on display. Neither of them show any signs of this fault. :dance: So hopefully a clean batch is starting to make its way into the stores.
Next batch not due till Sept so doubt it!!

A

Anonymous

Well, after constantly looking at the new Panasonic Plasma, I still prefer the LED pictures

Just agreed price at local sony centre so about to order. 2400 with the speaker stand, happy with that

will let you know how I get on

Cheers :dance:

A

Anonymous

Cheers matey

Now need to decide on new AV Receiver to go with it

Any recommendations? Currently got a 6 year old Denon amp, time for upgrade at same time :)

A

Anonymous

Cheers matey

Any recommendations? Currently got a 6 year old Denon amp, time for upgrade at same time :)

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
What happens to your review samples after you have finished with them?? ....... it seems maybe that is one of the only sets a consumer would be entirely happy with

D

Deleted member 2457

kevin7.1 said:
What happens to your review samples after you have finished with them?? ....... it seems maybe that is one of the only sets a consumer would be entirely happy with

I've read about six reviews now and none of them have reported any issues with the crease, but from what I've seen and know it is possible for some people to possibly miss it, it they did not know it could be there. It definitely seems to be different from set to set the crease with how it appears, and if you look at some sets you can't see anything unless it is on specific picture and even then you need to be standing in a specific position to notice something.

I hope Sony soon manage to sort it out for the people who have bought one, and for the people wanting to buy one.

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
webthunder said:
Cheers matey

my sony A/V amp is still going strong after years of use, choice is entirely yours but you cant go far wrong with Sony, with the latest ones out in November keep an eye out for current special offers, Richer Sounds had some nice ones around the £200 mark.

A

Anonymous

I've just received my 55HX923 (Saturday 10th September). I've studied the picture very closely indeed, and I can honestly say that I can't see any sign of the creases which we've all noticed before (I could see them on the 46" shop display model).

It's difficult to tell, but there might just be a barely perceptible dimming of picture brightness at the extreme left and right edges, although you really have to look closely, and even then it might just be imaginary. In truth, I have to say that the picture appears perfect. :)

If my TV is representative of all the latest ones coming through, then it looks like the problem has been fixed. I'm looking forward to hearing from others, so we can see if the problem really has been resolved.

Steve

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
MrThack,

getting about a bit ar'nt you? lol, spoke to you on the Sony site, bit early to tell how it pans out, september shipment should be about now so will know for sure then,

as said before Sony have NOT fixed the issue, the build process is the same as before, its looking more than likely first batch was faulty.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys

Just to let you know, picked mine up in the weekend and all is fine :dance:

Glad I got the speaker stand, really helps the sound control

Now to get more 3D glasses, can we only use Sony ones?

Cheers

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

just heard from my dealer and a delivery is expected by him this week!, so hopefully get a good one to replace my last one, i must say after all this waiting the buzz i had from this tv has gone!, maybe get it back once i start playing with it. :)

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
andy_s said:
Hi,

just heard from my dealer and a delivery is expected by him this week!, so hopefully get a good one to replace my last one, i must say after all this waiting the buzz i had from this tv has gone!, maybe get it back once i start playing with it. :)
Well that went well!, i finally get a decent one and the dealer and myself discover a small flaw in the build so its goin back as well!,

on another note, its worth mentioning that this is not the only model with this problem there was a 723 in there as well and that had the same issues, its become apparent that models with the gorilla glass fronts suffer from this "crease" as there was another 2011 model tv without gorilla glass and that was fine!!

A

Anonymous

It's all very odd. I reported that mine was fine, and to be honest it is.

But, if I look hard, under certain conditions I've realised I can just see a slight trace of it. It varies with the colour and brightness of the picture in that area (most of the time being invisible).

I can't really imagine what sort of thing could cause this. I'd have thought a physical fault to do with the glass or the adhesives used would show up more consistently.

Don't let this put anyone off. I can only see the crease very intermittently, and only if I really concentrate and look hard for it. In normal viewing it is simply a non-issue. In fact, it's a fantastic picture in every way.

MrThack

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know if the faults are present on the KDL-55HX823 as well.

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

astonishingly this has been seen on any of the new ones with gorilla glass screens so far, i have seen this on a 723 as well as my 923 so i would hazzard a guess that it may be present on the 823 as well, best advice i can give you is go and view the set for yourself and have a good look, it may be very faint and as long as it does not spoil viewing enjoyment it will be fine.

A

Anonymous

I was seriously considering getting a new Sony but now I definately am not. If I get a new tv new it will probably be a samsung (the one with the thin frame).

I've had a Sony 40 inch led for about 5 years and I've just had to turn the screen brightness up to 100%, I am very happy with it considering it was one of the first ones out.

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I Went into the sony centre over the weekend and had a look at the 46 and the 55. They inexplicably considering this sets status as flagship were showing a very poorly implemented comedy central hd feed which was very grainy.

I pulled one of the staff to ask why what i could see looked the way it did. He just said it was the feed and proceeded to put some hi def blu ray content on the 55.

The first images that came up were 3d and even without glasses i could see how good this screen was. i was excited and eager to see 2d.

He then skipped to 2d content and i was blown away. The images were typically showroom vivid but i could quite easily see past that to what was simply the best image i have ever seen to date. Stunning i have to say!!! the was no sign of the the creases on either side of the screen which have plagued these sets and the assistant claimed they had no returns for that reason that he knew about (but then he would do wouldn't he!?!).

The 55 is to big for my living room at about 3m from the screen but if the 46 is as good as the reviews says and my experience with the 55 then it has to be my next TV if you get a good one there the best that i have seen!!.

(of course i will confirm return if any issue with the creases but i think the general mood at the manchester store was that they would replace but are confident they are now selling fault free sets!!)

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
you do well to remember that if your going to buy from a Sony centre is to check if you will get any support from Sony themselves, because the last i heard is that Sonex the people that own the Sony centres are in trouble and may end up going under.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts