Faulty KDL55HX923

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I recently bought a KDL55HX923 from an authorised Sony Centre.

It was delivered on Monday. It is a lovely TV set however there is one issue with dark lines at the edges of the picture.

I have dark vertical lines running down the side of the screen about 1 cm in from the left and right hand edges.

This has been reported on another forum and posting and seemingly to Sony.

Can you advise if this is normal or if it is a fault and whether I should ask for a replacement TV and if it is likely to have the same defect.

Thankyou

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Certainly not present on our review model - though that is the 46in version.

So it looks as if you have a faulty set.

And we'll ask Sony for comment....

A

Anonymous

Clare - thanks for your prompt response.

This is a picture of what the crease looks like - am I being picky or does it look faulty?

Itlooks a bit worse than on the photo.

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/crease.jpg

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
We have spoken to Sony, response below:

Dear WorriedTVBuyer,

We are sorry to hear about your experience with the HX923 - we believe this to be a standalone issue as we have sold a large quantity of this product with no such issues reported. Please can you provide What Hi-Fi? Sound & Vision with your contact details and we will be in touch in the next 24 hours to review your sample in order for you to continue to enjoy the HX923. Please accept our sincere apologies.

So drop me an email and we can hopefully get it sorted: joe.cox@haymarket.com

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
this was posted on Sony's own forum's as well with reports comming in for both the 46" and 55" and although mine is sitting in the shop with the wrong stand (sent it out with sub woofer stand) they wont release it yet!, i'm beginning to wonder if people are unpacking it then turning it on and going "oh look its faulty!!, without calibrating it first, all new tv's that get sent out usually have the contrast, brightness etc etc turned right up at the factory and therefore too strong or bright for normal viewing, i read somewhere they recommend to set it to "standard", but until i get mine i can comment no further, i would be very surprised (ulthough worried at the mo) if this is actually a fault in the panel.

A

Anonymous

I can confirm also that I am a uk recipient of the 55hx923 and it also exhibits these problems, and they are very noticable on solid colour, Sony are replacing my TV on Friday so hopefully this will resolve the issue, although following other forums mine is certainly not an isolated case, I have had three previous sony TVs (currently 55X4500) and always use calibrated settings with backlight between 2 and 4 so this is not a settings issue.

It appears that this is a manufacturing issue that I hope is resolved quickly, as I have always been impressed with Sony gear, however the TV I have currently is not of that quality.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sad that two new members of these Forums have only had to sign up to report problems with their TVs - hopefully you'll both get swift, satisfactory replacement sets!

Keep us updated re how you get in, and we look forward to you posting on happier matters in the future.

A

Anonymous

Yes me too Clare, as other than the creases and some blooming the picture is the best I have seen of an LCD tv, as I am sure your review will say, just a bit disappointed with these issues.

A

Anonymous

This certainly IS NOT a "standalone" case as pretty much every owner that has received their sets over the last week or so has reported the issue over on AVForums. People are also reporting the same issues on a German AV forum with the HX920 (euro version of HX923). Someone on AVforums got a response from Sony saying: "I was told it is not a design fault in the tv, but a manufacturing issue with a specific batch." There is a lot more detail in the thread (near the end): http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1414611-sonys-flagship-bravia-hx923-3d-local-dimming-led-tv.html I also have a 46HX923 on order for early July delivery, so I hope I can preview the set before delivery or get some feedback from Sony as to they acknowledge the problem and have fixed it. From what I here, replacements are being honoured by Sony if you complain; they don't seem to be openly declaring what is going on though, which is a shame with their recent bad PR on security... Cheers JJ

A

Anonymous

This certainly IS NOT a "standalone" case as pretty much every owner that has received their sets over the last week or so has reported the issue over on AVForums. People are also reporting the same issues on a German AV forum with the HX920 (euro version of HX923). Someone on AVforums got a response from Sony saying: "I was told it is not a design fault in the tv, but a manufacturing issue with a specific batch." There is a lot more detail in the thread (near the end): http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1414611-sonys-flagship-bravia-hx923-3d-local-dimming-led-tv.html I also have a 46HX923 on order for early July delivery, so I hope I can preview the set before delivery or get some feedback from Sony as to they acknowledge the problem and have fixed it. From what I hear, replacements are being honoured by Sony if you complain; they don't seem to be openly declaring what is going on though, which is a shame with their recent bad PR on security... Cheers JJ

A

Anonymous

This certainly IS NOT a "standalone" case as pretty much every owner that has received their sets over the last week or so has reported the issue over on AVForums. People are also reporting the same issues on a German AV forum with the HX920 (euro version of HX923). Someone on AVforums got a response from Sony saying: "I was told it is not a design fault in the tv, but a manufacturing issue with a specific batch." There is a lot more detail in the thread (near the end): http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1414611-sonys-flagship-bravia-hx923-3d-local-dimming-led-tv.html I also have a 46HX923 on order for early July delivery, so I hope I can preview the set before delivery or get some feedback from Sony as to they acknowledge the problem and have fixed it. From what I here, replacements are being honoured by Sony if you complain; they don't seem to be openly declaring what is going on though, which is a shame with their recent bad PR on security... Cheers JJ

A

Anonymous

A

Anonymous

been following the posts on Sonys own forum and the various other forums re the "crease" issue that is seemingly present on all uk delivered hx923's. As an avid WHF reader for 15 years I only felt compelled to register and post my comments as it seems like Sony are in total denial of this issue (had two email conversations with Sony uk who still say noone has reported a problem and that they don't class public forums as a trusted source). I am due to collect my pre-ordered 55"' hx923 on Monday not looking forward to it now to the point where I've asked the store not to deliver the tv but to instead unbox and set it up in store first so I can go and see it before accepting delivery. the set is paid for in full I just don't want the hassle of having to send it back myself or take time off work to wait for it to be collected seemed easier to just leave it with them if faulty. Fingers crossed.

WHF carries enough weight and influence on consumers (bought my current tv purely based on WHF review and its been a great set for last 5 years, Sony kdl-v40a12u) in this industry that hopefully Sony uk might actually sit up and take notice and let us all know what causes this issue, which sets/serial numbers are affected and what is being done to resolve it.

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I've kept it to myself long enough, had my 55" delivered Thursday and set up by the dealer, Yes its a lovely thing but because i was looking for it and with no thanks to you lot!, (i think) i have a faint darkish line 1cm down the right hand side, also of note i played a 3D movie last night and the depth of the picture was fantastic but on blacked out scenes there are four whitish halos in each corner, not sure at this point if its a trait with 3D, certainly not there in 2D, on a good note the 2D image is awesome and without doubt a beautiful thing except for the niggles.

i should add at this point the dealer has promised to contact Sony with regards to the "crease" issue, and if it turns out a fault will be dealt with accordingly.

A

Anonymous

I am pretty sure in 3d that the backlight is upped somewhat to counter the darkness of the glasses, and also local dimming is disabled by default in 3d mode, however you can enable it, this should sort the issue, however with regard the crease, mine was both sides and not faint in the slightest, however this is looking more and more like a manufacturing defect that hopefully gets sorted asap.

A

Anonymous

Hello What HIFI

Well im New to this site and my 1st posting is of the concern i have for the (FLAGSHIP SONY HX923 55") I am waiting for delivery of mine but with all these postings from owners who already have theirs with creasing lines, I contacted Sony who denied that there was a problem!!! it would appear that it is not just effecting the UK either. I feel that Sony don't seem to give a damn about it's loyal customers, yet they seem happy enough to take their cash for an item that dosn't perform or look how a flagship tv should. Im new to buying a Sony Tv,s but before i have even received it i feel somewhat let down by their responce. I really hope that with a well respected Magazine that Sony will listen to you guys and sort this problem out.

Thanks

Paul

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi SAMBAVANMAN,

welcome to the WHF forums and in case you havent already guessed i started off the thread on Sony forums and i hope that soon someone will give us all a positive answer!, i too was waiting for mine when these threads cropped up, certainly made me sick to the stomach worrying about this, the thing i dont get is this- whatever happened to quality control?, surely the guys at Sony are not blind?, and most certainly this is not done in transit!, i say give them free sight test or sack the ones responsible, this should not be happening.

A

Anonymous

Hi - no one from Sony has got in touch with me despite them promising that they would get in touch in 24 hours. Not sure what I should be doing here - can Clare or Joe maybe ask them to contact me again and see if we can at least get some movement on this.

Thanks

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Indeed, i have tried to goad Sony into a response, even suggested they give their employees free sight tests as clearly their quality control of late is very sub standard, even the team on here cant seem to get a reponse from Sony either, with the exeption of one that Joe Cox from Haymarket Publishing recieved from Sony saying its possibly a standalone issue !, yeah right, even Clare has not responded to this anymore yet, and for WHF to say it was not present on their review set does suggest to me maybe they missed it or they got lucky!!, i was almost prepared to dismiss mine as its very faint but i know its there, till of coarse i found the four searchlights in the corners when the screen fades to black!!.

A

Anonymous

I was a little miffed to say the least that it took me 3 months to get my hx903 and then they discontinue the model and 2 months later release a new model, , with all these posts about the hx923, i must say that i am very happy with my hx903 :p

A

Anonymous

Sony have now acknowledged the problem as discussed here: http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/669237

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Sony have done more than acknowledged the problem, theres a re call in place for all this last batch, surprised it was not on the review set here, outstanding review thanks What Hi Fi team despite this small problem it has re instilled my confidence in this TV, will look forward to a replacement fault free set.

A

Anonymous

i took delivery of a 55" model hx923 today. the issue still exists and it doesn't sound like sony are willing to fix it.

very disappointing really as the set is lovely in all other respects.

i am waiting for final confirmation from my dealer and sony as to whether ANY production process change will be implemented as if they say "yes" then I am willing to keep the set and exchange it when those modified sets are coming through but for now it sounds like no change is being tried/implemented so its either accept it or move on.

given that noone on any other forums either sony's or avforums has received a perfect set it seems i honestly feel the issue was simply missed in the what hifi review. i will conceed that the issue is difficult to spot, so you might say "get a life and enjoy the tv" but when you've shelled out nearly 3K for the TV you expect it to be right not almost right but hey pay list price anyway.

shame really....looks great otherwise

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I have contacted Sony on several occasions about this issue, and after seeing its statement of June 28th on the company's own website, emailed the UK product manager for TV directly.

Unfortunately I have not yet had any response. Given that the issue is now being investigated at the factory, I will again endeavour to get a reply from Sony as soon as I can. Apologies, this is as frustrating for us as it is for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts