Experience of switching from separates to active eg ADM9T

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
PP. With all the AVI threads lately, that's one of the most constructive questions I've read.

Lots of AVI owners use various sources like CDP & TVs, but like me the usual seems to be some kind of streaming.

Ive still got all my old kit in the lounge, when I've cleared up a bit I plan to hook up my Sony 570 BDP, to use for those emergency CD moments, although it will be via optical.

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
Please forgive my ignorance. This may have been mentioned before but...

After buying July edition of the mag and reading the speaker "super-duper speaker test", WHFI concluded the AVIs are "great for PC-based music". With that in mind, has anyone thrown the AVIs a fur ball with traditional sources (CDP, TT)? If so what was the conclusion, in comparison tp its usual ally of streamed music.

Excellent I'd imagine PP - people have used Goldring Lencos with them and apart from needing a suitable phono pre-amp to sit in the middle, they're fine for vinyl. Likewise with TVs, for movies, traditional separates...

I too thought the comment in the review was a little misleading as they're more than just that, but there's not many actives out there with an onboard DAC (Roland's DS7 at just under £300 and is out-of-production is another and then I'm thinking of the likes of Meridian but that's daft money).

richardw42 said:
PP. With all the AVI threads lately, that's one of the most constructive questions I've read.

Lots of AVI owners use various sources like CDP & TVs, but like me the usual seems to be some kind of streaming.

Ive still got all my old kit in the lounge, when I've cleared up a bit I plan to hook up my Sony 570 BDP, to use for those emergency CD moments, although it will be via optical.

Ta! The average house/family has a some sort of DVD player, CDP, some have turntables, FM tuner and a huge cd and vinyl collection. I don't doubt the SQ of the AVI, but in terms of the average family curious about its ability across all formats.

This won't necessarily benefit yours truly as I have no intention of going 'active'. Nevertheless this info could be of benefit to someone who might be thinking of switching.

BTW, usually with most statements I take at face value, so when Hi-Fi say "great with PC-based music" I just associate it with erm... PCs or Macs and downloading.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Since reading about the ADM 40s I have been thinking about the minimum number of pieces of equipment one would need to have as many options to play music , and watch TV I suppose , without the use of a computer . So have I got this right ? I could have a turntable with phono stage and a TV with Sky and with that I could play LPs , DVDs , CDs (?) watch TV and listen to the radio using these speakers ?

I hope I am not appearing to be thick here , but as I hadn't even heard of a phono stage until two and a half years ago , I still haven't come to terms with what a DAC does , and our main TV is a portable Toshiba which we were given as a wedding present ( 25 years ago) and has no DVD connected to it but will no doubt be upgraded within the next year or two , I am still on a fairly steep learning curve .

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Since reading about the ADM 40s I have been thinking about the minimum number of pieces of equipment one would need to have as many options to play music , and watch TV I suppose , without the use of a computer . So have I got this right ? I could have a turntable with phono stage and a TV with Sky and with that I could play LPs , DVDs , CDs (?) watch TV and listen to the radio using these speakers ?

I hope I am not appearing to be thick here , but as I hadn't even heard of a phono stage until two and a half years ago , I still haven't come to terms with what a DAC does , and our main TV is a portable Toshiba which we were given as a wedding present ( 25 years ago) and has no DVD connected to it but will no doubt be upgraded within the next year or two , I am still on a fairly steep learning curve .

The limited inputs ont the adm9t was why I went for the neutron v2.1. I would love a pair of adms but I have t.v, freeview box, bluray player and airport express to play through it. I would need to add an external DAC and that defeats the object of the all in one apeal of the adm9s. The 40s have enough inputs but are way too rich for my blood, maybe one day!!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Think of them just like a normal speaker that happen to have the DAC and amplifiers built in.

There are 6 inputs (4 x Optical Digital & 2 x Analogue) so as long as a source has these type of output it can be connected.

EDIT. tihs is for the ADM40s

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
richardw42 said:

Ta! The average house/family has a some sort of DVD player, CDP, some have turntables, FM tuner and a huge cd and vinyl collection. I don't doubt the SQ of the AVI, but in terms of the average family curious about its ability across all formats.

This won't necessarily benefit yours truly as I have no intention of going 'active'. Nevertheless this info could be of benefit to someone who might be thinking of switching.

BTW, usually with most statements I take at face value, so when Hi-Fi say "great with PC-based music" I just associate it with erm... PCs or Macs and downloading.

I had a listen to the adm 9.1 with both Cyrus (8se?) CD player via analogue and a sonos via optical, both sounded very good and I am not convinced I could tell much difference between them. If anything the Cyrus didn't seem to re create the "musician in the room live" sound of the live recordings I tried. It was not a huge difference though.

richardw42 said:
Think of them just like a normal speaker that happen to have the DAC and amplifiers built in.

There are 6 inputs (4 x Optical Digital & 2 x Analogue) so as long as a source has these type of output it can be connected.

EDIT. tihs is for the ADM40s

This is all very interesting. The best example I've found is with Arcam. Over the years the older/entry-level models phono stages tend to be slightly better with a TT than a CDP. On the other hand, the Leema has a better playback with CDs than a turntable. The phono stage on the Pulse isn't bad by any stretch, but the CDP and TT seems to be more equal. I know there could be other reasons for this, however, in my 30-odd years of buying and listening to most formats/amps they all have their special little tricks or prize bunny out of the hat.

Or put simply, every set-up has it's limitations or 'crack' in its armour.

T

the record spot

bay24 said:
The limited inputs ont the adm9t was why I went for the neutron v2.1. I would love a pair of adms but I have t.v, freeview box, bluray player and airport express to play through it. I would need to add an external DAC and that defeats the object of the all in one apeal of the adm9s. The 40s have enough inputs but are way too rich for my blood, maybe one day!!

You wouldn't need an additional DAC, just a suitable adapter with a selector switch, then you just pick and choose, and still use the ADM's onboard DAC. Amazon has tons, likewise Maplins amongst no doubt many others.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
audiokid said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
:O

how come AVIs didn't slay you naim + harbeth combo? I can't believe it!

Whilst the AVI have some great qualities, they could never match the Naim / Harbeth combo IMO. But, you wouldn't expect them to, surely, given the price? The Naim and Harbeth oozes musical enjoyment, warmth and personality. Don't get me wrong, I love the AVI, and I can be more than happy accommodating two systems, one built for comfort, the other built for speed!

:) it was supposed to be sarcastic but maybe didn't come out like that in the end?

anyway, having read a few AVIs threads one could come to a conclusion that the speakers easily match the best in terms of performance (hence being the best) but offer great VFM too. so there's no-nonsense AVIs and the rest is just overpriced hi-fi jewelery.

I never heard AVIs although I hope one day I will so I'll be able to compare their sound to sound of my system. but I do believe they are really good speakers and probably peerless in their price range (well, maybe some decent pro monitors coupled to some equally capable DAC/pre could only compete) but I'm far to believe that there's nothing better out there. in the end they're just cone & dome mini monitors...

Sorry, my mistake!

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
domenn said:
Hi how would you compare avi9T to Rega house sound ? Maybe its crazy but I'am starting to think about to sell my Rega set up

and swap it for adm's avi9T . it just looks so simple less cabling ..... but sound is what matters , i did not have chance to demo adm's and I dont think I will .

Hello domenn, I know your question is not directed at me but I had a Rega Planar and Rega Mira amp with Dynaudio Audience 52SE's. The ADM9.1's (the 'old' models) sounded a lot better than this set up, and I say this with regret, since I was (and still am) a fan of Dynaudio and Rega. I would imagine the new ADM9T's will sound better still.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I hope the new ones do sound better. The demo I had was with the recently superseded ADM9T, as the New 9T hadn't arrived.

I am placing an order for the latest model, so will update the forum when they arrive.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
How very disappointing that this thread has been 'edited'.

All the wit and badinage removed, yet the now all-too typical subtle-as-napalm AVI-plugging vs anti-active blustering remains :doh:

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
How very disappointing that this thread has been 'edited'.

All the wit and badinage removed, yet the now all-too typical subtle-as-napalm AVI-plugging vs anti-active blustering remains :doh:
Quite so.

Weapons grade rhetoric is difficult to eradicate.

T

the record spot

Bus-rally-008.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts