Experience of switching from separates to active eg ADM9T

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
char_lotte said:
chebby said:
char_lotte said:
Alec said:
I don't do doilies, snce they got soiled. But I'm using the knives now. They're currently the only knives I have.

Napkin rings too ?

Oh don't! (You just made me tip over the fondue.)

Fondue ? I had you marked as a prawn cocktail kind of guy....

I will be from now on (after trying to get 2 litres of molten Emmental out of the Bri-Nylon leopard skin rug with nothing but a fish-knife and Black Tower!)

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
The types what 'ave doilies would call napkins serviettes, don'tcha know.

And forget not the crowning glory: antimacassars!

images

John Duncan

So you know that bit where I cleaned up the thread so the OP could read the useful answers...?

EDIT - actually, no, that was another thread. Sometimes it's difficult to remember what these threads are about, so long is it since there was an on-topic post...

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting my hostess trolley stretched and then "Overfinched". You can keep your gaberdine slacks , driving gloves and fish knives (as ifthey even existed).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
So you know that bit where I cleaned up the thread so the OP could read the useful answers...?

EDIT - actually, no, that was another thread. Sometimes it's difficult to remember what these threads are about, so long is it since there was an on-topic post...

This one has been substantially "cleaned" too.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, so far so good with the new ADM9T. They're installed and sounding wonderful. I will add a further write up sometime soon, but first impressions are very positive.Bass on the new 9T seems good too, much better than my demo of the older 9T. (but that could be the difference in rooms) I can't imagine I would need a sub, but the room is 4x4m so it's probably ideal at the moment.What amazes me with the 9T is the soundstage and stereo imaging. They can really play tricks on you with placing vocals bang in the centre of the two speakers, whereas the Harbeth sound is more obvious in projecting from the speakers. However, with some tracks - Feist in particular (canadian female singer songwriter) the Harbeths just win hands down. The soft snares and claps, vocals and cymbals sound so natural on the harbeths - and whilst the 9T are more revealing, the Harbeths sound more realistic. But, I would say the 9T are a little more versatile.As I said, I'm running two systems so it will be interesting to compare the two over time and report back as I get used to the 9T a little more. Undoubtedly, the 9T is a much better value option as it's arguably on par with Naim and Harbeth in terms of SQ. Of course, like all brands and models, each have their strengths. I'll see when the 9T honeymoon period ends (i.e. get used to the new sound) and I can make a good comparison to the Naim / Harbeth combo. Right now I have got two excellent sounding systems, one being smooth and very seductive. The other is open, punchy and lively. Good stuff!

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Just thought to add a quick update and living with Naim, Harbeth alongside the ADM9T (And also Cyrus for a few days!)

Cyrus, I won't mention here, it's on the other thread.

However, I have had the ADM9T hooked up in another room for a while, connected to an iMac. They sound good on the desktop. Whilst I had eveything uprooted from my home demos, I tried the ADM9T once again as my main system.

Whilst the ADM9T are a fantastic product the initial excitement has worn off and, in my opinion, they don't sound anywhere near as good as the Naim and Harbeth (or Cyrus and Harbeth.) Whilst the 9T have some excellent separation and definition, they don't posses the same high quality reproduction of the other systems. Bass is lighter, upper frequencies sound muffled and instruments/vocals are placed higher in the range, thus sounding less realistic.

BUT, they are only £1200, and probably the best £1200 I have ever spent on hifi. They are staying on my desktop for the forseeable, where they will do a fantastic job. Now I just wish they were a little smaller!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts