Elicit R v Brio R

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I did not know about the Arcam problems, is that anything to do with moving manufacturing to China or was it before that? I have an Arcam amp for 20 years years still works.

4 faulty amps is either extremely unlucky or there are QC problems at Rega. I had a ? about Rega even before Steve bought his amp. Over 40 years I never had these problems, my NAD 3030 had a slight hum but you only noticed it when within a few feet. I had 1 Marantz 63SE that I had to take back when new and it was replaced since then its worked for 20 years apart from that nothing has gone wrong. I do think recent gear is not so well made, more built down to a budget.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
kikiso said:
Hi Steve,

Only just caught up with this and I can hardly believe it! After all the angst and messing about, I hope you end up woth what you are happy with, although it sounds like the Brio-R is the one for you at this time. Problem is these days it's difficult to know if you have the best you can get when there is so much choice and possible combinations.

However, what really worries me is the fact that four units have failed for you, and I have had one failure myself, although my current unit has been, and still is flawless. I'm just hoping that you have been very unlucky. I was put off buying Arcam because they aquired a bad reputation which they are still trying to fix or forget. Nothing wrong with their kit when it works, I did own an Arcam AVR befire the quality issus struck and was happy with it. I bought a Pioneer Receiver in the end, the dealer I talked to was honest, and I took a lot of guidance from places like this.

Rega therefore need to really work on the Elicit-R QA or design or whatever is the cause of the issues and prevent their good name being damaged.

Happy listening anyway....

Yes i genuinely wanted the Elicit R - the third unit was probably ok - in hindsight I could of put up with the hum. Still waiting to hear back about the 4th unit.

I miss it in one way - vinyl sounded amamxing

The Brio r is doing a great job with my DAC though

What was wrong with the first one?

I thought the 3rd was the phono stage?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
1. quinscent current - sq deterioated

2. loud hum buzz

3 only 1 channel on phono stage

4 the same as no1

sorry the buzzing amp was no2

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Arcam problems seemed to start with the AVR600, not sure if this was also when they moved their factory. I had the AVR250 and apart from one RTB for a total failure, it worked well for many years.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I tell you what, if I was in the market for a £1600 amplifier, knowing 4 dodgy units had gone to the same guy, with management involvement and they still could not get it right . . . I would be steering clear?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I can't post 'new forum topics' for some reason but can comment.. weird.. anyway I'm curently helping my mate to create audition shorlist for his 2 channel investment.. that will be an long term investment and he starting from scratch. He needs: CDP, DAC, amp, speakers.. He's got MacMini and will be using as a streamer, his budget around £2000..

Room's ok for floorstanders as well as bookshelfs on stands. He's got decent stands too. Room about 24sq meters and no restrictions with speakers placement.

My recommendations:

Rega DAC, Rega Apollo, Rega Brio R, Rega RS3

Creek Evolution A50, Creek Evolution 50CD, Epos Elan 15

Any thoughts please?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
I can't post 'new forum topics' for some reason but can comment.. weird.. anyway I'm curently helping my mate to create audition shorlist for his 2 channel investment.. that will be an long term investment and he starting from scratch. He needs: CDP, DAC, amp, speakers.. He's got MacMini and will be using as a streamer, his budget around £2000..

Room's ok for floorstanders as well as bookshelfs on stands. He's got decent stands too. Room about 24sq meters and no restrictions with speakers placement.

My recommendations:

Rega DAC, Rega Apollo, Rega Brio R, Rega RS3

Creek Evolution A50, Creek Evolution 50CD, Epos Elan 15

Any thoughts please?

Those are probably OK systems to audition, I prefer the Creek 50A to the Brio R. CDP I may go for the Marantz Pearl Lite which are about £600. Speakers you really need to hear quite a few, I would try the Kef R100. Other option would be the AVI 9RS which are amp, dac and speakers for £1250, then you just need a cdp. I heard lots of difference systems but the AVI were the best for me, problem could be is auditioning them.

So Marantz Pearl Lite cdp, Creek 50A amp and Kef R100

Or

Marantz Pearl Lite cdp and AVI 9RS.

Whereabouts do you live?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Exposure - thanks for that.. as far as I can see both Rega and Creek (and Exposure) we can have a listen in Manchester were we live... I've heard AVI myself i liked it but this time it isn't for me and audition is a problem.. so I guess we need to concentrate on the ones we can see and hear, preferably locally.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Out of all the amps I heard the Creek for me was the best. There has been recommended a Croft amp. recently but I have not heard myself. Not sure where you can audition them.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Out of all the amps I heard the Creek for me was the best. There has been recommended a Croft amp. recently but I have not heard myself. Not sure where you can audition them.

IMHO . . . Croft should be auditioned, even if you do not buy, it will set a bench mark you will never forget . . .

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CJSF,

I have reigned in the amp auditions now - sticking with the Brio R in the short term and playing some music.

Is the offer of the Croft Valve still open?

I can contact you via vinylengine?

Need to speak to Icon Audio only 40 mins drive from me so maybe take my speaks in for a demo of the the ST40

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
CJSF,

I have reigned in the amp auditions now - sticking with the Brio R in the short term and playing some music.

Is the offer of the Croft Valve still open?

I can contact you via vinylengine?

Need to speak to Icon Audio only 40 mins drive from me so maybe take my speaks in for a demo of the the ST40

Yep, the Croft amp sits in my box room un used . . . but not un loved :grin: I would be happy to see it go to a good home. I aditioned the 'R' against the Croft when I originaly bought it . . . no contest.

The Croft against the ST40, much closer . . . but size does matter ;) . See you on VE?

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts