Elicit R v Brio R

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well as you know I haven't been able to get on with the Elicit as have now tried several units all with various faults.

The strong point of the Elcit R was the transparency - downside to this being that my DAC sounded very harsh and clinical - not musical if you like!

The Elicit is no longer in my possesion (refund) I picked up a used Brio R yesterday from someone local at a good price - just to keep me going while I decide on my plans long term regarding an amp.

Just played some digital files through my DAC and have been pleasantly surprised how good the Brio R sounds with them - Vinyl sounds as ytou would expect too!

This now takes the pressure off now on diving straight into another amp for the sake of it.

Hell I might keep the Brio R - its a cracking little system - everything sounnds great - maybe I have learnt a lesson - don't mess with components as it will lead to constantly suffering with upgraditis.

Kudos to Rega & Cymbiosis they have been excellent in all this.

matthewpiano

Good move Steve.

I think taking the pressure off is the best thing you could have done at this time. It gives you chance to reset yourself after the disappointment of the Elicit-R experience and, as you know you enjoy your music through the Brio-R, it will stop you from feeling that you HAVE to find a new amp.

Enjoy some relaxation time with your music - I think you are owed some pleasure from your system after the last few weeks.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Reading your other thread last night it made me think about whether I would be just as happy in the long run upgrading to the Brio R / RS3 combination - rather than demoing all sorts of gear and heading up the price ranges. I like my old Brio and I liked the RS3's in my room on demo, but there will be a little voice saying to me 'what about if you spend a little more?'

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Reading your other thread last night it made me think about whether I would be just as happy in the long run upgrading to the Brio R / RS3 combination - rather than demoing all sorts of gear and heading up the price ranges. I like my old Brio and I liked the RS3's in my room on demo, but there will be a little voice saying to me 'what about if you spend a little more?'

i think the Brio R RS3 combo is cracking (for the money) especially with Vinyl, your CDP is a good'un too!

I picked this unit up for £300

Try a used one - move on your older Brio you will get a reasonable price for it

stevebrock said:
Well as you know I haven't been able to get on with the Elicit as have now tried several units all with various faults.

The strong point of the Elcit R was the transparency - downside to this being that my DAC sounded very harsh and clinical - not musical if you like!

The Elicit is no longer in my possesion (refund) I picked up a used Brio R yesterday from someone local at a good price - just to keep me going while I decide on my plans long term regarding an amp.

Just played some digital files through my DAC and have been pleasantly surprised how good the Brio R sounds with them - Vinyl sounds as ytou would expect too!

This now takes the pressure off now on diving straight into another amp for the sake of it.

Hell I might keep the Brio R - its a cracking little system - everything sounnds great - maybe I have learnt a lesson - don't mess with components as it will lead to constantly suffering with upgraditis.

Kudos to Rega & Cymbiosis they have been excellent in all this.

Know how you feel. When the Leema went back for repair I blew the cobwebs off the old Alpha 7R, and although doesn't have the all-round game of the Leema it is still a pleasant little amp. If the Welsh one went pear-shaped again, I would quite happily settle on another A65+.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
jonathanRD said:

i think the Brio R RS3 combo is cracking (for the money) especially with Vinyl, your CDP is a good'un too!

I picked this unit up for £300

Try a used one - move on your older Brio you will get a reasonable price for it

I've never dabbled in 2nd hand, but as I am on a tight budget while my son is in college, the maths do make sense.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:

Knowing (and loving) my Rega R3s as I do, there would be a little voice saying 'what if you spend a little less?'

Like these mint condition Rega R3s on ebay instead.

I don't know what the bidding will take them to in the next 5 days, but it shouldn't be anywhere near as much as new (or even ex-dem) RS3s.

I still prefer the sound (and definitely the looks) of my R3s and I don't think the £300 price hike - when the RS3s were launched - was ever really worth it.

The R3s also have a (very slightly) smaller cabinet than the RS3s and - being less deep - don't have quite as much of that 'slab' look when viewed side on.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Chebby - They are going to be right bargain! Never heard the R3 - you seem to love them, Personally I love my RS3 and preferred them to Motive 2s & Arros.....but thats just me!

Im getting into the Brio sound now - it really is quite captivating!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
We ( brio R owners ;)) know what this amp is capable to offer to the listener. When I upgrade my Brio R is soud Sig was always on my mind, knew what I wanted, I wanted something that sounded like my Brio R but whit more power and detail, loong story short, bought the Pathos Classic One.

It has a valve pre amp, that you can change the presentation, making litle tunning by changing the valves, and thats what i did.

Right now I have a very good sounding amp, and no need to turn back, the Dyns love the extra power!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
jonathanRD said:

Knowing (and loving) my Rega R3s as I do, there would be a little voice saying 'what if you spend a little less?'

I don't know what the bidding will take them to in the next 5 days, but it shouldn't be anywhere near as much as new (or even ex-dem) RS3s.

I still prefer the sound (and definitely the looks) of my R3s and I don't think the £300 price hike - when the RS3s were launched - was ever really worth it.

The R3s also have a (very slightly) smaller cabinet than the RS3s and - being less deep - don't have quite as much of that 'slab' look when viewed side on.

I've got another 18 months to go before my son finishes college - then I will have the funds to make a significant purchase if I want to. So I just have to decide whether to be patient or as you and Steve have suggested - spend less on 2nd hand. I have previously looked at some 2nd hand stuff - the thinking being that for £100 or so, I might get a pair of speakers that are much newer than my present speakers. But they might not sound that much better and the only way to find out is to purchase them. As I have no experience of previously buying and selling 2nd hand, I'm a little hesitant.

matthewpiano

jonathanRD said:
chebby said:
jonathanRD said:

I've got another 18 months to go before my son finishes college - then I will have the funds to make a significant purchase if I want to. So I just have to decide whether to be patient or as you and Steve have suggested - spend less on 2nd hand. I have previously looked at some 2nd hand stuff - the thinking being that for £100 or so, I might get a pair of speakers that are much newer than my present speakers. But they might not sound that much better and the only way to find out is to purchase them. As I have no experience of previously buying and selling 2nd hand, I'm a little hesitant.

I wouldn't spend £100 on 2nd hand speakers. Better off keeping your Missions.

I think you have two worthwhile options:

1. Stick with what you have and wait until your son finishes college. If you are enjoying your music on your present system there might be a lot to be said for this option.

2. Go with Steve and Chebby's suggestion and look out for nice 2nd hand examples of the Rega Brio-R and R3s. You may even then feel that you don't need to make the significant purchase when your son finishes college.

If you are enjoying your music, 18 months isn't that long so keeping your existing set-up until then would give you the most scope for finding the best possible solution without any interim spend. If you still fancy a Brio-R then I don't think it will have gone anywhere as Rega's product cycles tend to be quite slow (which I feel is a very good thing).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jonathanRD said:

If not going new, then look at ex-dem, B-Stock, or used "with a known history"......so my advise is to form a good relationship with a competent dealer/s.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
jonathanRD said:
chebby said:
jonathanRD said:

I wouldn't spend £100 on 2nd hand speakers. Better off keeping your Missions.

I think you have two worthwhile options:

1. Stick with what you have and wait until your son finishes college. If you are enjoying your music on your present system there might be a lot to be said for this option.

2. Go with Steve and Chebby's suggestion and look out for nice 2nd hand examples of the Rega Brio-R and R3s. You may even then feel that you don't need to make the significant purchase when your son finishes college.

If you are enjoying your music, 18 months isn't that long so keeping your existing set-up until then would give you the most scope for finding the best possible solution without any interim spend. If you still fancy a Brio-R then I don't think it will have gone anywhere as Rega's product cycles tend to be quite slow (which I feel is a very good thing).

I do enjoy the music on my present system, when I demoed the RS3's at home, my conclusion at the time was that I was not convinced that the upgrade was worth £780 - but that was with my old Brio.

The main reason why I wanted a new amp was for the remote :)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
jonathanRD said:

If not going new, then look at ex-dem, B-Stock, or used "with a known history"......so my advise is to form a good relationship with a competent dealer/s.

Yep I agree - Audio T in Cardiff - purchased most of my kit from them since the early 1990's - I credit them with all the excellent choices I think I have made based on their recommendations.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Yep I agree - Audio T in Cardiff - purchased most of my kit from them since the early 1990's - I credit them with all the excellent choices I think I have made based on their recommendations.

With that kind of relationship / history, there is little need to take the risk of buying blind from ebay.....especially as they seem to have a reasonable range.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I find your attitude refreshingly honest Steve.

I believe there is a 'sweet spot' in every manufacturers product portfolio, above and beyond which there is clearly diminishing returns in evidence.

I found that with cyrus, naim and a few others.

Whilst things get incrementally better and usually more accurate, the catch is that all other component shortfalls will be shown up in all their 'glory'.

As with everything, system matching is important at all levels.

Just enjoy you music but still report back on the Primare amplifier if you get it on loan.

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
nima said:
Steve, how do you find the Couple 2 cable?

Couple 1 has the better connectors in my opinion

Couple 2 has PITA connectors

Regarding SQ - Its an I/C, they both do the same job and IMO I/C don't make a difference.

They are both well made and feel quality, I prefer Couple 1 with the Neutrik Plugs

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Only just caught up with this and I can hardly believe it! After all the angst and messing about, I hope you end up woth what you are happy with, although it sounds like the Brio-R is the one for you at this time. Problem is these days it's difficult to know if you have the best you can get when there is so much choice and possible combinations.

However, what really worries me is the fact that four units have failed for you, and I have had one failure myself, although my current unit has been, and still is flawless. I'm just hoping that you have been very unlucky. I was put off buying Arcam because they aquired a bad reputation which they are still trying to fix or forget. Nothing wrong with their kit when it works, I did own an Arcam AVR befire the quality issus struck and was happy with it. I bought a Pioneer Receiver in the end, the dealer I talked to was honest, and I took a lot of guidance from places like this.

Rega therefore need to really work on the Elicit-R QA or design or whatever is the cause of the issues and prevent their good name being damaged.

Happy listening anyway....

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
kikiso said:
Hi Steve,

Only just caught up with this and I can hardly believe it! After all the angst and messing about, I hope you end up woth what you are happy with, although it sounds like the Brio-R is the one for you at this time. Problem is these days it's difficult to know if you have the best you can get when there is so much choice and possible combinations.

However, what really worries me is the fact that four units have failed for you, and I have had one failure myself, although my current unit has been, and still is flawless. I'm just hoping that you have been very unlucky. I was put off buying Arcam because they aquired a bad reputation which they are still trying to fix or forget. Nothing wrong with their kit when it works, I did own an Arcam AVR befire the quality issus struck and was happy with it. I bought a Pioneer Receiver in the end, the dealer I talked to was honest, and I took a lot of guidance from places like this.

Rega therefore need to really work on the Elicit-R QA or design or whatever is the cause of the issues and prevent their good name being damaged.

Happy listening anyway....

Yes i genuinely wanted the Elicit R - the third unit was probably ok - in hindsight I could of put up with the hum. Still waiting to hear back about the 4th unit.

I miss it in one way - vinyl sounded amamxing

The Brio r is doing a great job with my DAC though

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts