EB Acoustics speakers... any further thoughts?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
There is now a 6 week wait for these speakers, as they've received a rush a orders, no doubt due to the review in this magazine as how else would many people have heard of them?

I know Tony Warwick has a pair and likes them. Has he, or anyone else got a pair and have any further thoughts? I've a pair due in 3 weeks. Can't wait. Will be pairing them up to a Squeezebox, running through a DacMagic and into a CA 840a.

A

Anonymous

I too am curious to read some impressions on these speakers.

Also, I wanted to ask a question to chebby, who made a statement about the EB1s in a previous thread. I'll quote it here:

chebby:
I especially like
the look of the (real) light oak veneer - including front & rear
panels - and that WHF recommend partnering with Nait 5i/CD5i.
Assuming you read this chebby, where do WHF recommend partnering the EB1s with the Naim units? It is a combo I am considering and wouldn't mind reading about it. Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think it may have been a partnering suggestion in the last awards issue. I could be wrong. I don't have the magazine any more.

If partnering with Naim then save a little money and order the EB100 (single connections rather than bi-wire/split crossover.)

A

Anonymous

I've now received my EB1s as well as bought my new hi-fi kit, so I thought I'd post my impressions. I am running a Naim CD5x and a Nait 5i non-italic.

Early impressions of the EB1s are very favourable indeed. The detail is superb, and their rythmic ability seems to work nicely in unison with the Naim gear. Bass is punchy but not too boomy.

This is with single wiring. I will be bi-wiring them next week when I get the cable.

Considering the quoted delivery times, I received mine extremely quickly. Ordered them around the 20th November and received them on the 8th December.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
How about posting some pics?
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:
How about posting some pics?
emotion-1.gif

Don't have my stands yet, but I will post up a couple when I can.

chebby:

How are you going to bi-wire with only one set of terminals on the amp?

I'm not going to bi-wire anymore, but I admit to being a bit confused here. It is still possible to bi-wire using the Nait 5i, is it not, just not actually recommended by Naim? Though, oddly, the dealer (a Naim dealer) suggested bi-wiring himself.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hound:I'm not going to bi-wire anymore, but I admit to being a bit confused here. It is still possible to bi-wire using the Nait 5i, is it not, just not actually recommended by Naim? Though, oddly, the dealer (a Naim dealer) suggested bi-wiring himself.

The Nait only has one set of speaker terminals and - as you say - Naim themselves don't recommend it.

If you did not intend to biwire, then why didn't you order the EB100's? (The single connection version of the EB1).

You'd have saved £20. (£449 instead of £469)

I would have thought your Naim dealer would recommend NAC A5 cable.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
hound:I'm not going to bi-wire anymore, but I admit to being a bit confused here. It is still possible to bi-wire using the Nait 5i, is it not, just not actually recommended by Naim? Though, oddly, the dealer (a Naim dealer) suggested bi-wiring himself.

The Nait only has one set of speaker terminals and - as you say - Naim themselves don't recommend it.

If you did not intend to biwire, then why didn't you order the EB100's? (The single connection version of the EB1).

You'd have saved £20. (£449 instead of £469)

I would have thought your Naim dealer would recommend NAC A5 cable.

Because I didn't know for sure, and it's certainly nice to have the option anyway. I spoke with Richard at EB Acoustics today (nice chap), and he recommended plugging the red into the tweeter socket and the black into the bass one, so that's what I'm now trying. Sounds pretty great so far.

A

Anonymous

Well, mine have just arrived.

They look nicely constructed and well finished. Just rigged them up to the CA 840a and Squeezebox (via DacMagic). First thoughts, within the parameters of not being run-in, is that I am amazed by the bass response. They kick out much more bass than my old B&W DM110s but are a third of the size. The bass is deep and very taut, not boomy or distorted. I've just listened to a couple of tracks of Leftfield 'Rhythm & Stealth' and now I'm putting on some drum and bass by Chase and Status that will give them a good workout.

A

Anonymous

Chebby.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!. You are misleading people again.

EB100 is NOT a hifi loudspeaker. It is a near-field studio monitor with a different crossover and characteristics. EB1 is a HiFi loudspeaker for the home.

The difference between the two is that EB100 is more mid-forward. Sound engineers don't 'listen' to music like HiFiers. They need to be able to 'look' into the mix to make sure that the perspective of the track is right.

As regards using Naim, EB1 works fine. Nait5 and CD5i was the combination that I used. Single wire them connecting the positive to the top red terminal and the negative to the bottom black terminal. LEAVE THE BI-WIRE LINKS IN!!!.

I really do wish that people would get their facts right before posting on these forums.

Ricky. EB Acoustics.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
EB Ricky:connecting the positive to the top red terminal and the negative to the bottom black terminal. LEAVE THE BI-WIRE LINKS IN!!!.

Can i do this to my MA RS6 speakers as well. What is the reason behind this method. Please share.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Jimmy

How did the speakers handle a drum and bass workout??

Ricky

I don't suppose you will have a stand at the Bristol HIFI show? Would be a great way for you to showcase the speakers.

Cheers

Jay

A

Anonymous

Hi Jaybed

....with ease.
emotion-5.gif
They'll put out any bass, however low. Been listening to Chase and Status this morning

A

Anonymous

Jimmy

Thats great. Looking more and more like I will have to take the plunge. You should check out the Commix, FabricLive mix, its wicked.

Cheers

Jay

A

Anonymous

It had better be....

I've just ordered it on your recommendation
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Good to see you're burning the midnight oil getting those speakers made, EBR!
emotion-5.gif

Hi Andy.

Got any of those 48 hour days going spare???

Ricky.

A

Anonymous

vinod_david:EB Ricky:connecting the positive to the top red terminal and the negative to the bottom black terminal. LEAVE THE BI-WIRE LINKS IN!!!. Can i do this to my MA RS6 speakers as well. What is the reason behind this method. Please share. Thanks.

You can do this with any speaker. I call it 'Diamond Wiring'. You can also do it the other way round, that is to say red to the bottom + terminal and black to the top - terminal. You can also wire + and - to the top terminals or to the bottom terminals. Each configuration will produce a difference. Not huge tho. Always leave the links in the terminal plate and be careful not to short your amp out in the process. Please, as always, be careful with your equipment.

A

Anonymous

jaybed:should check out the Commix, FabricLive mix, its wicked.

It is very good. Quite laid back. Just got my hands on Sub Focus. Have you heard it?

I think you need to get these speakers btw
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS