Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
OK, so i did a comparison with a couple songs ripped with wmp11 wav and eac wav. to my ears the eac sounded better. i tried it on a friend of mine who isnt as interested in these things - giving him as few clues/cues as possible. He picked the eac rip as the best. This may not be scientific but its good enopugh for my personal use. Now, when i rip with wmp i can get the track details really easily. is there any way of doing it equally easily with eac...?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
OK cheers! it asked me to do error checking after the rip, and if i wanted to correct any glitches (sorry - from memory also - of using it just once). Sound about right, or should i alter my settings...? I didnt really know what i was doing when originally seting it up. If i do as you suggssted will it look right in media player...? No idea if it sounded as good as a cd as cds sound rubbish on pcs and ive no intention of ever getting a cdp so cant compare - but id be happier with eac as my ripper if i can sort the track info thing out.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
ok thanks again, ill give it a go and report back. are you saying it wont show up right in media player, or that you dont know? Anyay ill have a read of that link and fiddle.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
As an after-thoght, maybe if i download that software that makes things bypass the windows processes (sorry, i forget what its called, but you probably know) thatd have an equally good effect, and mean i dont have to bother with eac...?

A

Anonymous

Al, Fr0gs decription of tags and recomendation of using FLAC is good. WAV files do support tags, but they are not standardised in the same way that they are for mp3 or FLAC, so chances are that the tags will only work in the program you ripped the CD with and maybe a couple of others. This was not a problem when you used WMP as you were ripping and playing the files in the same player, so the tags were still working (although I suspect that actually WMP wasn't tagging the files, but simply remembering the information in its own database).

To get the functionality and quality you want, use a decent lossless format with error resilience (for long term storage) such as FLAC, when it decodes, it will always give you the original PCM stream, the same as a WAV would (actually possibly better since WAV has no error resilience and so could degrade due to HDD errors). It will also take up less space.

I have found in the past that although EAC is generally the best option for ripping CDs (it can even extract hidden tracks from the pre-gap), it has occassionally given poor results on CDs with some forms of copy protection (could be I should have changed some settings) whereas WMP or Media Monkey gave acceptable results.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
So Id have to then play each album and go to "Find Album Info" in media player after riping in order to get it to show the details...? Yes, i get your point about how it isnt tagging as such - makes sense. im going to rip with eac now and see if that method works. if it does i think i may be on to a winner. Thanks chaps. ### EDIT - Well, it works, once i told eac to find the info for me. WMP didnt put the tracks into the library very quickly, so i had to use its search function to get the song up. Then use "Find Album Info". That wont be too bad soon when im re-ripping everything, as itll get the info for tracks in bulk. I'll think about FLAC now, but really want to get the best sound quality/ease/price (irrelevant tho i guess) compromise.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks. I'm going to leave it for now as my head's hurting. More so when i started thinking about the future, when ill want to be able to make playlists and navigate my music on a big screen via remote, which may lead to more compatibility problems, i guess (but what do i know).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts