Dumb question on TOSLINK

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys - I've got a Panasonic SC-HT15 home cinema box and recently also got a PS3. I bought a digital cable TOSLINK to connect the two, but the connection is really loose on both ends - what's the trick. Have I got the right cable - am I plugging it in wrong? I'm guessing this is a standard connector and these 2 items have standard in and outs.

Help welcomed. Thanks in advance.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi markytd. They always are loose - nothing to be alarmed about. Just so long as it fits in the hole and it works, it's okay.

A

Anonymous

Optical cables would even work if you just hold them close enough to the input. Or even if you squeezed them into the holes with the transparent plastic covers on. (Yes, I did that once when I was in a hurry plugging in....)

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, my brother-in-law rang me up saying he couldn't get his toslink to fit. I told him to take the covers off!

A

Anonymous

hello

i am new here
EDITED BY MODS - and amazingly, you didn't last long. Banned for advertising

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the comments so far - the cables I have are defino not the mini-ones. And I don't think they have covers on, but will gladly pull one end of one of them to check - may remove some of my angst in this respect.

So, anyway, I bought a coax to TOS converter from Maplin at the weekend as the coax to coax between the Sky box and the amp works perfectly fine and dandy - however, when I connected the Sky box TOS out to the converter again I get nothing - two cables tried, one is brand new. The final question I am going to ask is - if I can see red light coming out of the cable when plugged into a source I am assuming it is not broken! Or can they be damaged and still route the light through??? Am at a total loss and do not want to waste any more money chasing a dream - if it is possible that the cables are broken I would buy one more just to see - would save £250 on a new HDMI-capable receiver!

Thanks again all and happy christmas.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
The cover doesn't look like a cover, it's more like a cap. It covers the end of the internal male part of the connector and takes very little effort to remove. If you're straining, you've got the wrong bit.

In my experience, TOSLink cables always come with covers (to keep the ends free of dust, etc) so, if you haven't removed them, they're still probably on there.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The ends should look like this:
TO6031.1.jpg

kPfRLewAJVEQ0AAAAASUVORK5CYII%3D

A

Anonymous

Grazia Amici - removed plastic caps and hey presto - a true epiphany moment - thank you all for your comments - sorted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts