Intermittent loss of signal

yousef

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if someone might help me troubleshoot a problem that has cropped up with my turntable.

I have a Project Debut 3 which I bought second hand three or four years ago and which seemed to be working perfectly well until yesterday. It is connected to a cheap Teac amp (H300, I think) via the phono input and hasn't been moved in at least two years. I'm still using what I assume was the original Ortofon 5E cart and stylus.

Last night I started playing some newly cleaned records (just distilled water and isopropyl in a Disco Anti-Stat) and noticed intermittent loss of signal on both channels. This only lasts a split second at a time and is not dependent on the record (ie different , previously fine, LPs do this and if I play them through again the drop-outs occur in different places), other inputs into the amp are working fine. It can play for several, even many, minutes at a time and then have a single or a series of many dropouts.

I think I may have noticed more hum over recent weeks too and I'm not sure if this is part of the same problem. The hum is present whenever I swtich the amp to the phono input, regardless of whether the Project is turned on (or even connected to the mains) or not. I've tried plugging the amp into a different mains outlet and, again, the problem remains. It gets much worse if I disconnect the little earthing connector but is still pretty apparent when it is firmly connected.

I've wriggled all the associated connections when a record is playing and don't seem able to induce the intermittent problem. I've also had a fiddle with the connections to the cart and they all seem securely seated.

I'm guessing that all this represents a loose connection somewhere between the cart and the soldered-on RCA outputs. Or could it be a symptom of the stylus/cart showing its age? Despite having always owned a record player of some sort, their internal workings remain something of a mystery to me: any help in tracking down and resolving this problem would be very much appreciated.

yousef

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Sorry - I'm getting an "access denied" message when I try to edit the above post.

The hum seems to be related to a Logitech Squeezebox that I have connect to the amp - once this is disconnected (either frmo the amp or the mains) the hum resolves.

The intermittent dropouts, of course, remain...

Great to hear you resolved the hum problem.

Regards the intermittent dropouts, it's a tricky one. My suggestion would be to break and remake the phono connections at the back of the amp (pressumably it is the A-H300 and has a dedicated phono section).

If drop-outs still there then I suggest you beg, steal, or borrow (OK maybe not the second option) another cartridge (of any make as long as it's a moving magnet) and try this in your system.

You are correct in the fact that the Ortofon is a bit long in the tooth and, if you do not know it's full history, I'd replace it anyway as I feel this is going to be the root cause of your problem.

yousef

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your thoughts. Makes me all the more embarrassed to reveal the root of the problem: I had been making recordings of before-and-after cleaning and it turns out there is a dodgy connection on my amp's recording source selector dial...

Still, I'd rather that than a problem with the turntable itself.

It's got me looking at new carts though, which must be a good thing. I don't really fancy my chances of replacing and setting up a new cart properly - is it acceptable to take a deck into, say, Super Fi and ask them to do it or is this akin to asking a guitar shop to change strings for you?

Thanks again for your reply.

yousef said:
Thank you for your thoughts. Makes me all the more embarrassed to reveal the root of the problem: I had been making recordings of before-and-after cleaning and it turns out there is a dodgy connection on my amp's recording source selector dial...

Still, I'd rather that than a problem with the turntable itself.

It's got me looking at new carts though, which must be a good thing. I don't really fancy my chances of replacing and setting up a new cart properly - is it acceptable to take a deck into, say, Super Fi and ask them to do it or is this akin to asking a guitar shop to change strings for you?

Thanks again for your reply.

Rather than use Superfi (although there is no harm in asking) I'd look for a local dealer who might be a bit more qualified to fit the cartridge for you. I am sure they value customers a bit more than the 'big boys' and would be happy to oblige.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts