New Speakers needed

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys... Happy New Year!

My old Pioneer SA9800 amp started playing up, (popping noises etc), so I ended up selling it. Sadly, my Marantz CD63 MKII K1 signature cdp also started skipping tracks so I ended up selling that aswell. (I'm starting to regret selling the amp, and should have rather had it recapped/serviced)

Not bad, considering that I used the 2 items for 10 years, and sold both of them for much more than what I paid. I had these connected to an old pair of B&W DM2 transmission speakers (the 1st model).

Susequently, I have now bought a Pioneer A300R Precision amp, a Pioneer PDS505 Precision CDP and a Pioneer F504-RDS Precision tuner (all Tom Evans tweaked components)

Sadly, the B&W DM2 speakers dont match the combo (The amp only produces approx 35 Watts @ 8 Ohms, and the B&W speakers work best with an amp with a bit of 'grunt'. However, I will be keeping the B&W DM2 speakers for the main speakers of a home cinema setup

So, I need new speakers, but enjoy decent bass (I have got used to the sound of the DM2 speakers). My budget is low and I'm looking at the 2nd hand market for older/vintage speakers in the price range of approx £250. (Not lots to buy with, but am hoping for something older and that will match my current system)

Room size is approx 25 square meters. cabling (for those who believe that they make a huge difference) is the old Hitachi SSX-102K LC-OFC speaker cable, and Silver High Breed interconnects... I listen to all sorts of music, and lately, I have started enjoying Jazzy/Folk music (wife says I'm getting old)

Another 2 questions ...

how does one add a subwoofer if the amp only has one set of speaker connections? Not sure if I will get a sub, and am just inquisitive (at this stage)

... I'm also setting up a desktop spotify system on my laptop. I have recently purchased Wharefdale Diamond speakers (the very 1st version ... I have them connected to an old Pioneer SX700L receiver and am using a cable from the headphone socket into the receiver.

Sounds a lot better than desktop computer speakers. I'm hoping to buy an old Sansui amp (or if I'm lucky, maybe an old Luxman or similar). I would need a DAC between the laptop and amp, but I've read that the old Pioneer PDS-703 has a good 'transport'. How do I use this CDP as a DAC for spotify? (most prob a dumb question, but if it can be done, I will be pleased as I have one in my loft in perfect working order.)

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
to add to the speakers, I contacted Tom Evans, and this was his response (a bit pricy at this stage, but I have bookmarked the info):

buy a kit from Wilmslow audio that uses Ted Jordan's Eikona 2 full range drive units, I use Ted's drivers to design with !

HifiShark

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
One speaker that I have tried that does everything quite well at a fair price is the Snell Acoustics type D/IV. It is from the mid 90's and is designed by Kevin Voecks, who is now head of Revel R&D. It is a reasonably sensitive speaker that can be had at a very reasonable price these days.

In terms of size and aspirations it is comparable to the modern day Revel Perform F-208 - although dated in comparison.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
HifiShark said:
One speaker that I have tried that does everything quite well at a fair price is the Snell Acoustics type D/IV. It is from the mid 90's and is designed by Kevin Voecks, who is now head of Revel R&D. It is a reasonably sensitive speaker that can be had at a very reasonable price these days.

In terms of size and aspirations it is comparable to the modern day Revel Perform F-208 - although dated in comparison.

thanks for that ... I have added the Snell's to my list and will research further

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts