DS212j NAS hard drive help please.

joeteds

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey all
Im going to be buying the Synology DS212j NAS but I dont know what hard drives would be best for me.can I basically get any 3.5 hard drive? Could anyone help me on this please ?
I would like the best I can afford and I have a budget of around £150 and would like a 2tb drive but if thats not possible then a 1tb will do for now.
Thanks everyone
Joe

joeteds

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Now that Ive decided to get this Nas and the sonos ZP90, sonos play 5 and 3 all my media will obviously be stored on the Nas but does that now mean that the Nas will have to be on to play all my music with the sonos ? Also will my laptop still have to be on ? as thats where my Itunes is installed and my understanding is that the sonos uses itunes, or does the sonos access itunes over the internet ?

Ive also heard that its ok to leave the nas on all the time anyway, is that correct ? I did want to do away with using the laptop altogether, apart from transfering media from that to the nas so it would be a pain if that had to be on too.

Sorry about all the questions and my lack of knowledge on this
smiley-embarassed.gif

and sorry if Ive asked this in the wrong thread, maybe I should of asked it on my other thread.I'll post it there too.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
To play your music from the NAS through the Sonos, the NAS must be on. You should be able to programme set on / off times in the Synology Operating system so, for example, if you are working during the week, you just set it to start in the evening and shutdown after normal bedtime. You can set different hours for each day and weekends if you want.

If the NAS is on, your pc / laptop does not have to be on for the Sonos - it wil read the files directly off the NAS.

If you can do it, use a hard wired connection to you network rather than wifi - it just generally will be more stable.

If you want to use the Sonos app to control the Sonos, you must be connected into the normal home wireless network.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts