Downsizing ... need some suggestions on a digital setup

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Parting company ...I have a Linn LK85 and Kolektor Pre-amp that was replaced with my Leema Pulse II recently.I would like a second audio system in another part of the house running off a cheapish digital source (TBD) which can play FLACs. I'm considering a few options which will involve parting ways with some or all of my Linns. My main requirement is to downsize (the physical size) of the equipment but hopefully keep up the audio quality. Adding a DAC and digital player to the existing setup will be too many boxes me thinks.My options are:1. Replace with a physically smaller amp which has an integrated DAC.2. Keep the LK85 power amp and replace the Kolektor with a DAC with volume control + phone output.3. Get some active speakers and an Audio Engine W1 type wifi setup4. Go for a Sneaky DS with in-built ampDigital input-wise I would like USB - asynchronous or a decent adaptive setup - for connection to a PC, and SPDIF for connection to ANO digital player. 24/96 digital capability would be nice.Budget restrictions are that the price to change (includes selling all or part of my Linn gear) should be approx £500 or less. Other restrictions are that I don't want anything (i)Apple and don't think I need a streaming solution like a Sonos.Shortlist of products are:Leema Pulse III (some clearance deals around), Peachtree Nova/Decco (some clearance deals), Teac A-H01 (will it sound good enough?), Brunoco Diva (if I can find a review and anyone that sells it), Furutech GT40.The Furutech appeals because it will allow me to record what little vinyl I have before I paryt company with my Linn Axis as well(!)... got any more options or innovative suggestions to add to my list?

I have a Linn LK85 power amp and a Kolektor Pre-amp that was replaced with my Leema Pulse II recently. I would like a second audio system in another part of the house running off a cheapish digital source (TBD) which can play FLACs. I'm considering a few options which will involve parting ways with some or all of my Linns. My main requirement is to downsize (the physical size) of the equipment but hopefully keep up the audio quality. Adding a DAC and digital player to the existing setup will be too many boxes me thinks.

The options I can think of are:

1. Replace with a physically smaller amp which has an integrated DAC.

2. Keep the LK85 and replace the Kolektor with a DAC with volume control + phone output.

3. Get some active speakers and maybe a dongle type wifi setup

4. Go for a digital player and decent built in amp (and that doesn't need extra boxes to make it play anything except a remote)

5. Use an AV receiver ... but these are a bit bulky aren't they(?) and I only need a sterero setup

Digital input-wise I would like USB - asynchronous or a decent adaptive setup - for connection to a PC, and SPDIF for connection to ANO digital player. 24/96 digital capability would be nice.

Budget restrictions are that the price to change (includes selling all or part of my Linn gear) should be approx £500 or less. Other restrictions are that I don't want anything (i)Apple and don't think I need a streaming solution like a Sonos.

My shortlist of products are:
Leema Pulse III (some clearance deals around), Peachtree Nova/Decco (more clearance deals), Teac A-H01 (will it sound good enough?), Brunoco Diva (if I can find a review and anyone that sells it!), Furutech GT40 (will allow me to record what little vinyl I have before I part company with my Axis turntable as well!)

... got any more options or innovative suggestions to add to my list? Thanks in advance.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
Parting company ...I have a Linn LK85 and Kolektor Pre-amp that was replaced with my Leema Pulse II recently.I would like a second audio system in another part of the house running off a cheapish digital source (TBD) which can play FLACs. I'm considering a few options which will involve parting ways with some or all of my Linns. My main requirement is to downsize (the physical size) of the equipment but hopefully keep up the audio quality. Adding a DAC and digital player to the existing setup will be too many boxes me thinks.My options are:1. Replace with a physically smaller amp which has an integrated DAC.2. Keep the LK85 power amp and replace the Kolektor with a DAC with volume control + phone output.3. Get some active speakers and an Audio Engine W1 type wifi setup4. Go for a Sneaky DS with in-built ampDigital input-wise I would like USB - asynchronous or a decent adaptive setup - for connection to a PC, and SPDIF for connection to ANO digital player. 24/96 digital capability would be nice.Budget restrictions are that the price to change (includes selling all or part of my Linn gear) should be approx £500 or less. Other restrictions are that I don't want anything (i)Apple and don't think I need a streaming solution like a Sonos.Shortlist of products are:Leema Pulse III (some clearance deals around), Peachtree Nova/Decco (some clearance deals), Teac A-H01 (will it sound good enough?), Brunoco Diva (if I can find a review and anyone that sells it), Furutech GT40.The Furutech appeals because it will allow me to record what little vinyl I have before I paryt company with my Linn Axis as well(!)... got any more options or innovative suggestions to add to my list1. Replace with a physically smaller amp which has an integrated DAC.
2. Keep the LK85 and replace the Kolektor with a DAC with volume control + phone output.

3. Get some active speakers and maybe a dongle type wifi setup

(...)

Digital input-wise I would like USB - asynchronous or a decent adaptive setup - for connection to a PC, and SPDIF for connection to ANO digital player. 24/96 digital capability would be nice.

I would add another product for your consideration. Burson Audio HA-160D. it's a very good preamp (3 RCA inputs), outstanding headphone amp and also a very good 24/96 DAC with 2 digital inputs (USB + coax.).

just add your power amp and speakers or a pair of actives (Dynaudio Focus 110A?? can be had quite cheap if you look around. seem to be discontinued now) and you're ready to rock :)

I may have misunderstood some of your permutations, but for (4) and taking acount of your predisposition towards Linn, have you considered a Sneaky DS, that comes with a 20w amplifier? It's tiny and sounds really super. I heard one yesterday playing through Komponent 104 speakers in a large kitchen.

There is a used SDS on ebay for £599 at the moment.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi nopiano .... thanks for the suggestion ... the Sneaky was on my shortlist ... and I had spotted the one you mention on eBay. The minus points for the Sneaky for me are: It's a 3 - 4 year old player and I have a suspicion of an update / price drop in the near future and ideally I would have liked an SPDIF + 1 analogue line input. I hear the new SimpleAudio player might be a shade better than the Sneaky too and quite a bit cheaper, so I may wait a bit to hear them both.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts