Does plug-in filtering device work ?

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I have read some articles about plug-in noise reduction device.

I wonder if IsoTek's Neoplug (£60) or Russ Andrews' Claritymains (£110) can really improve the SQ of a Hifi system by cleaning up the mains noting that they are VERY VERY EXPENSIVE little devices.

How do they compare with Tacima which only costs less than £30 ??

A

Anonymous

Do you realise the enormous can of worms you have just opened perchance. Time will reveal all!

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
From what I had read from some articles that what is inside such a plug-in device is only a few resistors and capacitor. That is why I wonder how come they can market them so expensive unless I was wrong that there is something of high tech inside. OR if the device can have GREAT improvements to the SQ that might be another story. That is the reason I ask if anyone here got any experience with plug-in devices, good or bad.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:
That is why I wonder how come they can market them so expensive.

Really? In the same way Chanel can market a bottle of No 5 perfume for £60 but Britney Spears' latest 'odour' costs £30? In the same way Audi can market a family saloon for £15000 more than the equivilant model from Skoda? You can market a product at whatever price point you see fit - if you understand who your target market are and your brand values are strong enough then people will always buy from you.

On your other point, you need to try for yourself, there are far too many variables. Just buy one, try it and if you notice nothing send it back and get a refund.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't know about those plug in type of filters, but I do know that my Monster Cable powerbar filters out the RFI induced by the motors when repositioning my electrical beds (my dacmagic always lost the audiostream as soon as I hit a button on the bed's controls), and it makes the tv picture better too.

A

Anonymous

Actually you are right apologies offered for any offence caused. Thankyou for picking me up on that one as it may well be insensitive.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>How do they compare with Tacima which only costs less than £30 <

If you don't mind popping the lid from your hi-fi, you can usually find room to replace the IEC mains socket with one containing a suppression filter. About a fiver from Maplins. Usual caveats, mains voltages can kill etc.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
nick8858 said:
Actually you are right apologies offered for any offence caused. Thankyou for picking me up on that one as it may well be insensitive.

No worries, I was just conscious that it applied to at least one member of the forum (assuming they still post here, don't think I've seen anything from them for a while).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
amcluesent said:
>How do they compare with Tacima which only costs less than £30 <

If you don't mind popping the lid from your hi-fi, you can usually find room to replace the IEC mains socket with one containing a suppression filter. About a fiver from Maplins. Usual caveats, mains voltages can kill etc.

Hopefully people would unplug it from the mains before replacing the socket... :)

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
It appears that no one here has tried out any form of plug-in filtering device in their system as I do not hear any shared experience from folks. IMO such devices are so pricy and people just will not take a chance to try it out though you may have the money back if you are not happy with it. It seems to me that such device may not be an effective device as advertised. For me I have hesitation to have a go unless I have heard something positive from folks from their actual experience.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
I've got a "Noise Harvester" which is supposed to do this. It "converts the noise in the mains to light impulses" by way of a blue LED which flashes if the mains is noisy.

It mostly flashes very slowly which seems to tell me that my mains is fairly clean unless the dimmer switches or microwave are on when it goes berserk.

In terms of sound quality, I can't tell a difference (although a change of signal cable has made a big difference in the past )

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
visionary said:
I've got a "Noise Harvester" which is supposed to do this. It "converts the noise in the mains to light impulses" by way of a blue LED which flashes if the mains is noisy.

It mostly flashes very slowly which seems to tell me that my mains is fairly clean unless the dimmer switches or microwave are on when it goes berserk.

In terms of sound quality, I can't tell a difference (although a change of signal cable has made a big difference in the past )

Thanks for the information and experience sharing. I am not surpriced that you had experienced no improvement in SQ which is in the back of my mind from start. Hope someone can throw out something different.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:

I wonder if IsoTek's Neoplug (£60) or Russ Andrews' Claritymains (£110) can really improve the SQ of a Hifi system by cleaning up the mains noting that they are VERY VERY EXPENSIVE little devices.

I'm not suprised that everyone seems to be steering clear of this thread, but I'm game for a laugh...

I do have a Neoplug and a Tacima. I don't have an actual RA Clarity Mains, but I do have a genuine Quantum Pro (RA's Clarity Pro is almost identical, as it's made for RA by the same company... and I understand they also make the guts of the Quantum QRT for Nordost too). Clarity Mains is a simpler, less-powerful version of the Clarity/Quantum Pro.

The Isotek Neoplug is actually crammed full of stuff (unlike many similar looking products, including the basic Isotek Isoplug). It primarily employs capacitors to smooth the electrical current and unusually uses Neon tubes as well as the more conventional VDR's to suppress mains spikes. A variety of circuit designs were tested by actual users before production to get the 'best sounding' design... and in the right circumstances (depending upon your personal hi-fi/AV/mains) it can and does work... but not always in all circumstances.

The Tacima seems to work well for a lot of people here. It's a more basic design than the Neoplug, but unlike the Neoplug also includes a choke through which all current is drawn... this is good for reducing RFI if your environment suffers from it, but some (me included) find it also 'chokes' the sound (notably bass response/dynamics).

Clarity Mains/Pro (aka Quantum QRT, Quantum Pro and others of this ilk) are different products altogether. These don't filter anything in the conventional sense as the Tacima or Neoplug do. What Quantum/QRT/Clarity-based products do is to actually generate a field around them intended to counter the effects of other fields - mostly, the dominant 50Hz frequency of mains electricity. I know this sounds weird, but I'm using one, and it works for me. Again, this doesn't mean it would work for you or anyone else.

Hence, 'try before you buy' advice is the best anyone can give - it's all system, preference, and environment dependent.

And for the record... I also own a motorised bed, so don't knock 'em if you haven't tried 'em!!!

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
At last Wireman provided his positive personal experience. Thank you. RA's theory is weired to me at least and may be I will have a go for IsoTek's neoplug which costs less than RA products. Could Wireman provide more personal experience on Neoplug in respect to its effects on sound quality before I make a decision to go ahead with it ?

A

Anonymous

Inter_Voice said:

You can replicate their action with a £2.50 ferrite clamp from Rapid Electronics.

BTW 'ClarityMains' is an odd name, as mains is a thumping great big 240Vrms 50Hz signal - you really don't want to be enhancing the clarity of that! I'll refrain from mentioning Advertising Standards Authority WRT mains cables here.

Hi Inter_Voice, though I have tried none of the devices you mention, I have a few thoughts:-

1. Your system already has several special power cords so presumably you already believe they make a difference.

2. I believe RA offers money-back guarantees so you can hardly miss out if you try something from their range.

3. I've recently found a variety of enterprising suppliers, mostly with ebay shops, who make similar items to order, often at low prices.

4. I currently have no specific devices in my system, but I have done countless mains tweaks in the past, including: removing neons from multiplugs; using MK mains plugs rather than regular ones; plugging amps into sockets directly, leaving tuners in extension sockets; wiring a lounge direct from a mains spur into unswitched sockets (in 1987!). And I'm always careful to keep mains and signal leads apart.

5. Still believe my kit sounds better at night when many appliances are off. Worth going around turning off all those phone chargers, timeswitches, modems/routers etc., even the fridge - though don't foget that last one, before you go to bed!

6. I tend to think that better gear is more intrinsically immune to mains issues. I believe the WHF test-rooms have no special mains conditioning to better replicate domestic situations.

7. You haven't said what you expect to change, or what is causing you concern. Or is it that a better mains feed will surely improve things a bit? (Quite understandable - I'd imagine so too!)

I hope you find something that works for you!

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Hi Inter_Voice, though I have tried none of the devices you mention, I have a few thoughts:-

1. Your system already has several special power cords so presumably you already believe they make a difference.

2. I believe RA offers money-back guarantees so you can hardly miss out if you try something from their range.

3. I've recently found a variety of enterprising suppliers, mostly with ebay shops, who make similar items to order, often at low prices.

4. I currently have no specific devices in my system, but I have done countless mains tweaks in the past, including: removing neons from multiplugs; using MK mains plugs rather than regular ones; plugging amps into sockets directly, leaving tuners in extension sockets; wiring a lounge direct from a mains spur into unswitched sockets (in 1987!). And I'm always careful to keep mains and signal leads apart.

5. Still believe my kit sounds better at night when many appliances are off. Worth going around turning off all those phone chargers, timeswitches, modems/routers etc., even the fridge - though don't foget that last one, before you go to bed!

6. I tend to think that better gear is more intrinsically immune to mains issues. I believe the WHF test-rooms have no special mains conditioning to better replicate domestic situations.

7. You haven't said what you expect to change, or what is causing you concern. Or is it that a better mains feed will surely improve things a bit? (Quite understandable - I'd imagine so too!)

I hope you find something that works for you!

Thanks for the comments and actually there is nothing wrong with my present system I am extremely happy with them. Of course if there are measures that can further enhance the SQ of my system (even by a small amount) I may consider having a go and try it. This is the magic of audiophile and IMHO that is why audiophile related products are marketed so expensive and people still are willing to spend their money on them. TBH what I had first in mind to clean the mains was to use a Balanced Power Conditioner from Airlink but it is so expensive for a 2000KVA unit (around £400) that I would therefore prefer trying out a plug-in filtering device first.

I have the BD Player, TV etc plugged into the Tacima except the Leema amplifier. The plug-in filtering device, if bought, will solely be used for my Leema to clean up the unwanted noises as Tacima reduces Leema's dynamics and bass on account of its filtering choke coil that limits the current by some what on high current demand.

Inter_Voice said:
The plug-in filtering device, if bought, will solely be used for my Leema to clean up the unwanted noises as Tacima reduces Leema's dynamics and bass on account of its filtering choke coil that limits the current by some what on high current demand.

I think I'd be inclined to ask the folks at Leema, as I'm sure they've tried or use something like this in their demos, or point their dealers to something they feel enhances their products. I agree that the amp is where the potential gains or losses may be most apparent, notwithstanding the popular 'source first' approach.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I think I'd be inclined to ask the folks at Leema, as I'm sure they've tried or use something like this in their demos, or point their dealers to something they feel enhances their products. I agree that the amp is where the potential gains or losses may be most apparent, notwithstanding the popular 'source first' approach.

Actually I did ask Leema on the use of Balanced Power Conditioner but they do not recommend the use of any mains conditioner as it would degrade Leema's dynamics. With this in mind that is why I am thinking of plug-in devices which will not affect current flow of the amplifier.

I notice that you are using Krell amplifier and if you look at this http://www.kempelektroniks.com/Shunt-Conditioners/SNS-Plug-Module.aspx Krell also fiited a parallel filter in their Krell FPB700cx amplifier to reduce noise from the mains.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:

Actually I did ask Leema on the use of Balanced Power Conditioner but they do not recommend the use of any mains conditioner as it would degrade Leema's dynamics. With this in mind that is why I am thinking of plug-in devices which will not affect current flow of the amplifier.

I'm largely with nopiano on this one - I too use a dedicated, robust mains supply. With respect to Leema, I'm sure their amplifiers perform brilliantly on a clean mains supply, but Leema really have no idea how clean your mains supply actually is, do they? The point of any mains filter is to clean a dirty mains supply, and therein lies the rub... nobody knows how clean your personal mains supply really is unless it's tested/measured.

As for the Neoplug specifically, it can make your hi-fi sound exactly as they (and all other manufacturers of similar devices) claim... "removes a veil from the music", "less gritty", "becomes smoother, less sibiliant", "improved detail", "less bass boom", "clearer, blacker background"... take your pick... some or all of these enhancements will/can/might apply PROVIDED your mains needed curing in the first place. If it didn't, you'll notice nowt.

I personally think the Neoplug by comparison to RA's equivalent products offers a good value bang for the buck (I have an RA Silencer, a Mini-Purifier, and a Super-Purifier too... and many many more besides). But I personally don't use any of them on my hi-fi except the RA Megaclamp Ultra to remove spikes. I also use the Quantum Pro which positively affects everything in the room/house by dint of the fact that it effectively broadcasts a frequency field. And I use only a PureAV PF30 on my AV which I have modified using test equipment (an oscilloscope) to provide just enough correction to ensure my mains is perfectly clean: Even then, the mains waveform was already a pretty clean sinewave... it was the plasma and sub-woofer creating hash which adversley affected the amp and BR player, but only by a small degree. The PF30 is used to effectively isolate these components from each other, and now applies just a small amount of correction, and only where it's required. I use my Tacima on my computer/router/NAS to isolate those noisy items from the rest of my house.

But this is all very difficult to do unless you A) know how good or bad your mains supply is to start with, and what, if any, detrimental effects your components themselves are creating, or B) have the test equipment to measure it. Most people understandably don't have a clue, and therefore just have to take a leap of faith and see if these plug-in devices work for them.

If the Tacima is already working well in your situation, you may prefer to try a PureAV PF30 - at it's heavily discounted/clear-out price, it's currently available for about the same retail money as a Neoplug. There were a couple of threads from last year which discussed this particular mains filter in detail. Good though the Neoplug is, for the same money, I personally think the PF30 is a better bet, is a logical/progressive step on/up from your Tacima, and probably the best judged mains filter of all those I own/have mentioned irrespective of price.

Hope that helps.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to wireman for the very enlightening advise. TBH I have no idea as to how clean my mains are but since my Tacima has proved to work I can only presume my mains are not that clean after all. May be I should try out Isotek Neoplug as a start and then the PF30 in a later day. At the end of the day even if these devices have not much effects to the SQ of my system they will not do any harm either.

Just an quick update, I have ordered one Isotek Neoplug and it should arrive in a couple of days. Hope this device works.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You have been given some very good advice from the above posts. I have tried the Tacima and found it sucked the life out of the sound. I have also tried a mains regenerator ( Isol8 ) and didn't like the result. IMO The way to go is probably a balanced mains transformer - Atlas do a stunning one (but it's a stunning price)......though it is also quiet.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IMO The way to go is probably a balanced mains transformer - Atlas do a stunning one (but it's a stunning price)......though it is also quiet.

Yes, Balanced Power Conditioner is always my favourate but as you said the price is stunningly high which drove me off. But if every other methods I tried could not meet my expectations eventually I will go for the expensive option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts