Does plug-in filtering device work ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:
Just an quick update, I have ordered one Isotek Neoplug and it should arrive in a couple of days. Hope this device works.

While I am still awaiting for the delivery of the Isotek Neoplug which should arrive shortly today, in order to find out how good or bad is my mains I have just ordered a Belkin PureAV Power Sniffer and hope this little device http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170680946756?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 can tell me the noise status in my mains.

The_Lhc said:
nick8858 said:
Actually you are right apologies offered for any offence caused. Thankyou for picking me up on that one as it may well be insensitive.

No worries, I was just conscious that it applied to at least one member of the forum (assuming they still post here, don't think I've seen anything from them for a while).

That applies to Mrs. P too. I'm not offended by nick's comment, heard alot worse.
smiley-smile.gif

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
These threads usually appear at the same time of year. Usually when the Russ Andrews catalogue pops through the post............ Mine came yesterday and it's become my latest preferred reading option whilst visiting trap one.

Anybody used the 5 amp RA fuses yet? About the only thing I can afford at the moment.....

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I have just received my Isotek Neoplug. I spent an hour running a session (about 30 sec) of different kinds of music in repeated mode while plug-in and plug-out this device from the power supply line of my Leema without switching off the amplifier. TBH I can hear some difference in SQ, the bass is tigther, the mid range (vocals) is clearer, sound stage and separation of musical instruments are better. Don't be mistaken, I am not saying that there are GREAT changes but the improvement is definitely there. I asked my other half to carry out a blind test and she also could hear a difference thought by not much, she said.

At least I can now confirm plug-in filtering device actually works and I believe its effectiveness depends very much on how clean the mains are (it seems that my mains contain some noise and that explains why I can hear a difference). My next step is to order a Belkin PureAV PF30 (will do in a moment) to replace my Tacima as suggested by wireman and I hope this device can further smooth out the noise of my mains and enhance the SQ of my system. When the Belkin PureAV Power Sniffer that I have just ordered arrives I will use it to double check the noise condition of the mains with and without the filtering devices. I am a practical guy and I trust my eyes and ears - seeing is believing. Stay tunned :)

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Pete Shields said:
These threads usually appear at the same time of year. Usually when the Russ Andrews catalogue pops through the post............ Mine came yesterday and it's become my latest preferred reading option whilst visiting trap one.

Anybody used the 5 amp RA fuses yet? About the only thing I can afford at the moment.....

Well, so far I havn't received any catalogue from RA. I may send RA an e-mail. :(

TBH I have never thought of replacing any fuses of my system as IMHO the effect of using very high quality gold/silver made fuses would have very little effect in improving SQ, may be someone can correct me if I am wrong :wall:. These fuses are by way far too expensive IMO.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:
...to find out how good or bad is my mains I have just ordered a Belkin PureAV Power Sniffer and hope this little device http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170680946756?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 can tell me the noise status in my mains...

Brilliant device. Originally cost about £70 (well, mine did), and for the gift price of just £20 this is even cheaper than hiring one from Russ Andrews (which according to page 16 of the latest RA catalogue is now £28 for a 7-day loan). And in my view, the PureAV one is better than the AudioPrism one RA hires out too (which I have hired previously) since it has a memory and visual display.

Inter_Voice said:
...my next step is to order a Belkin PureAV PF30 (will do in a moment) to replace my Tacima

Again, another brilliant device IMHO, and another true gift for the money. Check the previous threads...

Glad to hear your Neoplug is working for you... your Noise Sniffer will easily demonstrate how much noise is on your mains, and with a little experimentation, what's causing it, and how well your mains filters are working (and where best to place them). All money well spent in my view, and not really a lot of money either!

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi wireman. I have to thank you for the invaluable advices on the subject of noise in power mains. I make decisions based on supporting evidences/measurements and that is why I need some kind of measuring devices to ascertain what is actually happening in my power mains. I got to know the existance of Noise Detector from your previous threads (in the past months in old threads) which luckily I can find one in eBay. With the positive outcome of using Neoplug I have the confidence and thus ordered a PureAV PF30 which I am sure will have more effects on smoothening out the mains noise (even without firstly taken the noise level using the detector which is on its way to me). Anyway I will confirm the actual effectivness of the neoplug and PF30 when the Noise Detector has arrived.

If all works out well I can forget the expensive option of using a Balanced Power Conditioner to smooth out the mains.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have received my PureAV Power Sniffer and PureAV PF30.

I carried out a number of simple tests to find out the noise level of my power mains. At first I took away all the line filters and used the Power Sniffer to measure the background noise level of my power mains. Well, I found out that my mains are not that bad at all though when I set the Sniffer to the highest sensitiveity I can notice some noise in the mains. You may wish to know that if a computer is switched on the noise level in the power mains increased dramatically.

Then I installed my PF30 and measured the noise level again. As expected the Sniffer did not indicate any noise even when the sensitivity was set at the highest level. I switched on the computer, the washing machine but the Sniffer still did not show any noise in the power line at all. A complete silence !!!

I carried out the same tests using my Tacima, though for most of the time my Snifffer showed no noise at all neverthess there were one or two spike noises picked up occassionally.

With this tests I can confirm that PF30 has efffectively filtered out almost all the background noise in the power mains and it performs better than Tacima.

Now I have the PF30 power line filter fitted on my hifi system and I can hear that the SQ has some noticeable improvement.

I have you to blame for this, I_V, but I ordered a Sniffer from the place you linked on ebay, paid the extra quid for 1st class and it arrived today (less than 24 hours later). Here are a few initial findings.

Some of our eco-light bulbs give the worst interference downstairs - worse than the usual culprits like chargers, computers, etc. Will be leaving them off when listening. Except that the worst noise, by far, is generated by my amplifier! Wasn't expecting that. :oops:

I thought an extension block with bluray and TV stuff in it was helping reduce the noise from the amp, though I didn't remember it being a filtered device. The Sniffer level reduced when plugged into that block. By a process of elimination I found that the Sony telly was actually absorbing about 50% of the noise. Can anyone suggest how?

Maybe Sony fit a filter of some type to improve thier TV sets, and that plays a part in the system as a whole?

Fascinating...

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Nopiano, like you I have been playing around with this Sniffer by switching on and off different devices and trace down what are the biggest source of noise generators. What I can say is that this Sniffer is a very good device and it worths every penny. If your Sony telly absorbs some of the mains noise most likely what you have suspected is right, in the Sony circuitry I beleive there is a capacity or somewhat across its mains thus acts as a parallel line filter. When I inserted my parallel line filter in the mains the noise level has greatly reduced. I am now using a PureAV PF30 and there is no more noise picked up by the Sniffer. The power line is a complete silence to my palyers and the amplifier :) I am very happy indeed. :bounce:

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It all sounds brilliant.....a whole new area to obsess about.....I'm now tempted. :)

Trust me the PureAV Sniffer only costs £20 which worths every penny. It can identify where the mains noise is from but you need to carry out some swiching on and off of your household devices like computers, lamps, TVs and others etc to identify the pollution source.

I used to have a line filter from Tacima but from my experiene the PureAV PF30 performs better which is now costing £45 in Amazon. If your mains are extremely noisy though the PF30 might not be able to isolate all of the mains noise I am sure there will be great reduction. As my mains is relatively clean and after using the PF30 my mains is now dead silence even with computers and washing machine running. Now I don't need to go for an expensive device like the Airlink balanced supply conditioner BDP2000 which costs £400.

@Cno, just to second I_V's comments about the Sniffer. I cannot say categorically that eliminating the offending lamps, chargers, etc., while listening makes a massive difference. However, it is one of those hygiene things, like keeping signal cables away from the mains, that must be "the right thing" to do. I wouldn't claim an obvious improvment, though I have for over 30 years believed everything sounds better late at night, or after midnight. Whether that's less distant traffic, cleaner mains, tired ears (!), warm cartridge, or something else - who knows?!

The Siniffer has a sensitivity range from 1 (least) to 9 (most). At around 10 o'clock this morning, mine registered virtually nothing, even turned up to 9. Now, about 12 hours later, it has a significant reading, even turned down to 5. But now the laptop is charging, a couple of eco-lamps are on, the telly and bluray are on, etc.

All good fun!

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree with nopiano that our ears might not be able to sense a difference in SQ if there is only a SMALL amount of noise in the mains. Nevertheless if the mains are really noisy I am sure you can hear some differences but of course it depends very much on the hifi system you have.

The beauty of the Sniffer is that you can actually "see" if there is any noise in your power mains. A very nice gadget to play with. :dance:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thx guys.

Now I have to explain to the OH why I need to spend money on a Sniffer.....she already thinks I'm bonkers, which may or may not help!

She's just got her own "sniffer" (Canine), so is in a better mood than usual; so fair's fair. :shifty:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
And just to say that vacuum cleaners with HEPA filters make the room sound much better too. :rofl:

....especially if Mrs Cno is driving it....and you my friend, will get the blame. :read: ;)

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
OK back to the subject of power line filter, a power line conditioner by PS Audio has attracted my attention in eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260847982254?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

After some research I found that this unit uses a very simple device called a "balun" to cancel out line noises. (You may google “balun” if you want to know more about it) I have the feeling that Tacima is using the same technology to eliminate line noises as you may have noticed in Tacima there is a ferrite core wounded with wires over it inside the transparent box. I think Tacima causes reduction of amplifier dynamics because the gauge of wire used in the balun (if that is the case) is too small to accommodate high current passing through it.

I was unable to trace any shop that sells PS Audio Ultimate Outlet in the UK. I am not sure if someone in this forum has any experience with “balun” especially on the performance of PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. According to some reviews this Ultimate Outlet seems to be a nice device and might be a good alternative to a balanced power conditioner as it is claimed that it will not restrict the power line current and can remove all ranges of RF. Having said the above I am not hinting that I will buy one as my power line is quite clean now. ;)

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
this topic always opens a can of worms, there ar people who believe and them who dont, from my experience mains filters cables ect, do offer a slight improvement, i have a TACIMA mains block and i use Russ andrews mains cables, i also use a Russ andrews silencer, for me they all have improved my system in small way, but inmy opinion i think to spend a little cash on them and not go to mad to gain some improvements, and russ andrews offers a 30 day money back garantee so why not try them for yourself. MY system ARCAM CD73 CD player ROTEL RA05se AMP with monitor audio br5 sound just a little better with them in place

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
TBF I know a lot of people just buy expensive power cables, filtering devices etc and hope these could improve their system performance in some way or another. Mostly they did it by trial and error method using their ears for judement which I don't think is objective. For me I am a practical man and I need supporting evidences and that is why a Noise Sniffer is a good tool for this purpose. As I mentioned before my power line is now dead clean and there is no need for further improvement. I raised the issue of "balun" is just to seek the experience of folks here and see if they have any on hand experience with PS Audio Ultimate Outlet for the purpose of knowledge sharing. So far I have heard nothing :(

TRENDING THREADS