Does anyone use non Rega arms on Rega decks?

bobchiba

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
Currently have an 1983 Planar 3 (R200 in full working order) which i just serviced and I intend at some point to replace the R200 with either a 251 or a 301. I understand that the subsequent arms are a good improvement but I just love the asthetic of the R200 compared to the Rega built arms. This got me wondering if anyone uses any other arms on rega decks, as i haven't really come across this before.

Obviously Im not gonna get an arm for the sake of how it looks alone but just got me thinking if there are any good alternatives to the RB251 or 301 that are a bit more visually appealing than the straight arms.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The thing with Rega is that their arms are what make their decks so good. Both the 251 and the 301 are also highly tweakable for reasonable money and I think you would find it hard to find another arm that would suit the deck so well without spending silly money.

A

Anonymous

Check the mounting - think I read somewhere Rega changed them for the new tonearms.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:Check the mounting - think I read somewhere Rega changed them for the new tonearms.

Correctomundo. Rega changed to a 3 point fixing ( same as the RB1000) a little while back.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a RB250 fitted to my Planar 3 . It works fine . However , I don't know if it is still a Rega Planar 3 or is now a Rega Planar 2.5 .

I couldn't tell you if it is better than the original arm as it is about 15 years since I heard it with it on , and my memory isn't that good . What I will say is that I am now often playing my old LPs in preference to cds and loving the experience .

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts