Does anyone need three copies of the same film?

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Forgive me if I missed a prior thread on this subject, but can anybody tell me if they can see the point of Triple Play packages - you know, where you get a Blu Ray disc, a DVD disc, and a downloadable copy too?

Having just bought Inception on Blu from Sainsbury's today (£14.99), the box comes stuffed with all sorts of ancillary discs that frankly I don't want nor do I have the house room for. Surely if you have a Blu-Ray player, you'd buy a Blu-Ray disc. So what marketing geek came up with the idea of including a DVD copy and a downloadable copy too? If you wanted those formats, surely you'd just buy the media in that format, wouldn't you? I'm surprised they've forgotten to include a VHS cassette version in the box just to complete the package...

Am I missing something or is it just me? Does anyone see the point of having to buy three copies of the same film?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You would more than likely bought a film for the Bluay version, but you might find another member of the family wants to watch it in their bedroom, or in another part of the house. These other rooms may not have a Bluray player, only DVD. More and more people are using iPods and iPhones, and other multi-media gadgets, and want a copy to watch while travelling.

Having said that, there should be a Bluray only copy of a film, as I'm sure enthusiasts are really only interested in the Bluray. Disney/Pixar type movies are ideal for having the DVD copy as well so kids can watch it in their room, so you don't have to worry about them marking the Bluray version (assuming if course they don't have a Bluray player in their room).

A

Anonymous

I like the triple play because:

We watch the blu ray in the lounge for movie night and subsequent views later.

My son watches the DVD in his bed room (if it's suitable film).

We download the digital copy to various iPods/iPad and an Archos player, serving the rest of the house via a multi room system

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
wireman:Forgive me if I missed a prior thread on this subject, but can anybody tell me if they can see the point of Triple Play packages - you know, where you get a Blu Ray disc, a DVD disc, and a downloadable copy too?

Both of my daughters have DVD players (with 22" and 26" Samsung LCD TVs) so they can borrow the DVD from whatever BluRay/DVD twin package I buy.

Having the download as well might also be useful to someone even though it is SD.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Good point David - but I resent having to buy all three, as much for the waste of shelf space storing unwanted discs as anything else. But is anyone here actually getting full use of all three copies, or are they, like me, just using the one they wanted to buy in the first place?

Messiah

I like the triple packs too.

BD version for main viewing in the front room where I have the only BD player.

DVD version for others players in the house.

Download for the iPhone/Laptop. Ideal when traveling or killing time at work.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Personally I like the idea of the triple play packs as it basically means that you have bought the film full stop. You can play the film on just about any device you want to without having to pay extra or perform an "illegal" transfer to achieve that priveledge. With Blu-ray being a premium format I see that triple packs as a reinforcement of this concept.

A

Anonymous

wireman:Good point David - but I resent having to buy all three, as much for the waste of shelf space storing unwanted discs as anything else. But is anyone here actually getting full use of all three copies, or are they, like me, just using the one they wanted to buy in the first place?

I don't think they take up any more space do they? The ones I have are the same size as blu-ray only packs I think

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Yes it's good when you buy a Blu-ray that has the extras, if you gonna use them, the digital down load does not appeal to me, but the dvd copy does.Some films come out in so many special editions with increased value that i tend to try and get just the blu-ray version, unless its a film everyone in the house will enjoy, then i buy the blu-ray with bonus dvd.Incepetion was an acception where i managed to get the special briefcase version for £17.99, but it does look smart, only problem is housing all these extras. I tried to stop buying xbox 360 games with collectors edition, for one the extra cost and secondly the extra space required.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
markjaspi:I don't think they take up any more space do they? The ones I have are the same size as blu-ray only packs I think
Well, this copy is 17mm thick including the sleeve... other Blu/DVD cases are 10mm, some even thinner than that. But when you have circa 500 LP's, 3000+CD's, and 300 DVD/Blu's to store, it all adds up... and you begin to loose sight of your walls pretty rapidly.

Messiah

wireman:
Well, this copy is 17mm thick including the sleeve... other Blu/DVD cases are 10mm, some even thinner than that. But when you have circa 500 LP's, 3000+CD's, and 300 DVD/Blu's to store, it all adds up... and you begin to loose sight of your walls pretty rapidly.

That's where the downloadable version comes in handy
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

wireman:markjaspi:I don't think they take up any more space do they? The ones I have are the same size as blu-ray only packs I think

Well I never even noticed, just shows ya, sounds like a pretty meaty collection you have there.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Messiah:That's where the digital version comes in handy
emotion-5.gif

Call me old-school, but I still like to have something tangible - an LP cover, a CD or DVD case - in my hands. One day, I may yet drag myself into the 21st century and archive the whole lot onto a hard drive...

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You have 3000+ Cd's! Wow, thats quite a collection. Must have taken a while to gather all those together. Where do you find the time to listen to them all? Unless you're a d.j. or something?

Also, that must represent quite a substantial financial outlay.

emotion-11.gif
(Jealous)
emotion-21.gif

Cliff.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Tom Moreno:Personally I like the idea of the triple play packs as it basically means that you have bought the film full stop. You can play the film on just about any device you want to without having to pay extra or perform an "illegal" transfer to achieve that priveledge. With Blu-ray being a premium format I see that triple packs as a reinforcement of this concept.
Yes, I'd sort of agree with you there. But what happens if/when the 3D version comes out? Do we get Quad-Play packages with the 3D version, and again the Blu, the DVD, and yet another downloadable copy, forcing you to re-buy 3 versions you've probably already got? And then there'll undoubtedly be another higher-resolution successor to Blu-ray at some point in the future...

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
cliffster:

You have 3000+ Cd's! Wow, thats quite a collection. Must have taken a while to gather all those together. Where do you find the time to listen to them all? Unless you're a d.j. or something?

Also, that must represent quite a substantial financial outlay.

emotion-11.gif
(Jealous)
emotion-21.gif

Cliff.

No, I'm just old, and I've been buying music since I was at school
emotion-1.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
wireman:But what happens if/when the 3D version comes out? Do we get Quad-Play packages with the 3D version, and again the Blu, the DVD, and yet another downloadable copy, forcing you to re-buy 3 versions you've probably already got? And then there'll undoubtedly be another higher-resolution successor to Blu-ray at some point in the future...

No, because the 3D version will also play (in 2D) on 2D hardware. And as for your despair at future progress, life's just unfair like that.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard: No, because the 3D version will also play (in 2D) on 2D hardware. And as for your despair at future progress, life's just unfair like that.
... says the man who probably has a bigger storage problem than I've got!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:The caption might have given you a clue it was a publicity shot, max.
i knew that, it's quiet tonight, i thought you might have given us a humerous reply
emotion-15.gif

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Previously, the delight with a special copy of the film was a decent booklet, something other than an additional disc. Alas now it is some cardboard trash that ornates the disc cover and £2-£3 is that lame digital offering.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts