Does altitude affect hifi performance?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've lived for a few years on the second floor of a conversion and recently moved to a first floor one.

Can I expect better performance as I'm closer to sea level now?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I believe you will now experience a more flat frequency response. However, I personally enjoy music more at high altitudes. For this I use hemp rum.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I liked listening to music when I was high - even the carpet seemed to move too.

Everything seemed to have more depth - toe tapping etc -

Tonky

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you had great views and lots of light on the 2nd floor, then no views / no sunlight on the 1st floor then your mood will change and your enjoyment of music could be affected.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
As sound travels more slowly as altitude increases (various scientific reasons so clearly of no relevance here really) you may find that since you moved to a lower altitude the sound is reaching your ears more quickly and you perceive more PR&T. Certainly the pace will have increased, don't know about the rest of it.

A

Anderson

drummerman said:
Thank you helpful forum experts.

I will try and take it all in ...

If you do decide to inhale make sure you have nothing to do for a few hours, don't want to ruin the mood worrying about something. Go in with a clear head and then you'll have plenty of fun.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've listened to HiFi at 5,500 feet asl and headphones at upto 47,000ft and would suggest the answer is no discernable difference.
regular_smile.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
If you was to spread butter over the top of a Cyrus amp and lob it out of a two-storey window, wonder which side it would land? Just a thought.

Supereverard will fly in and save it!

18.gif

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
I've listened to HiFi at 5,500 feet asl and headphones at upto 47,000ft and would suggest the answer is no discernable difference.

At 47,000ft I assume you were in a pressurised airplane cabin. ;)

Serious question though.

With an increase in altitude you get a reduction in air pressure. Can someone explain (or provide a link explaining) how changes in air pressure effect sound waves passing through it?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

Serious question though.

With an increase in altitude you get a reduction in air pressure. Can someone explain (or provide a link explaining) how changes in air pressure effect sound waves passing through it?

I don't know, but I DO know that in space, no-one can hear you scream *sad*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

Serious question though.

With an increase in altitude you get a reduction in air pressure. Can someone explain (or provide a link explaining) how changes in air pressure effect sound waves passing through space*?

*considering sound is air vibrating in the form of waves.

EDIT: Freddy beat me to it.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
listening at the top of mount everest. As the air pressure is reduced at the top of said mountain the speed of sound is reduced. I don't think you would notice much (if any difference sound quality wise.The speed of sound is different for different frequencies ( another kettle of worms) Assuming you listen in a heated tent - the temp will effect the speed also. And you'll never be able to brew a cup of tea either!

tonky

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
tonky said:
listening at the top of mount everest. As the air pressure is reduced at the top of said mountain the speed of sound is reduced. I don't think you would notice much (if any difference sound quality wise.The speed of sound is different for different frequencies ( another kettle of worms) Assuming you listen in a heated tent - the temp will effect the speed also. And you'll never be able to brew a cup of tea either!

We had a quiz at work the other day and one of the questions was "At what temperature does water boil?" to which I lost a point for answering "The boiling point of water is pressure dependant."

Stupid f***ing quiz book doesn't know what it's on about!

100°C my ar**! *dash1*

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
From distant memory, the speed of sound varies with temperature and very slightly with humidity. It is not affected by pressure. It is proportional to the square root of ambient absolute temp (deg K). Temperature decreases at 1.98deg C/1000ft upto the tropopause. Survival at 47000 is about a minute before black out due hypoxia. Aircraft cabin pressuried to @8500 feet. Tis the season for trivia
regular_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts