Do you agree with this statement?

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
The thing w/Proacs is they typically are designed to work well w/tube amps, having a high impedance, so they will be easy to drive. You have waaaay more power than they will ever crave. This could result in having to turn the volume up pretty high before the music comes alive.

They are talking about my power amp from Parasound the A21. What are your thoughts, those are the old days that your pre amp had to hit the 11- or higher before opening up isnt?

A

Anonymous

On a Saturday night high, eh Mike?
emotion-18.gif

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
you guys geese....LOL no no someone else on another site claims that my proac's are a miss match for my power amp because my amp puts out so much power that I can never really get the amp going because my speakers dont need much for power. Does that help

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Im bringing this one back, is there any truth that since my Proacs have a high impedence that my parasound power amp is overkill and I cannot really open the amp up since Iam done at 10'oclock on my preamp.

A

Anonymous

More importantly, how do you think your speakers sound with your current amp? Do you hear any clipping?

A

Anonymous

Well as far as my knowledge of physics goes, if you have more power than you need then your speakers will only benefit from the amount of control available.

At a given volume level, the amp will deliver an amount of volts to your speakers. The impedance of the drive units affects how much current is drawn at this given voltage. If they're easy to drive (higher resitance) then they won't draw a lot of current. If they're hard to drive (low resistance) they will. Thus, if you have more than enough current available then the drive units are much more likely to be controlled with an 'iron fist', reducing distortion.

I'm sure there's other factors at play but I'm not sure what. From what you're saying an amp is limited in how much current it can deliver at lower volumes; doesn't make sense to me.

Any more educated views?

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Not exactly educated but I can't agree with the original statement. :)

Just because a speaker is 'easy' to drive doesn't mean it won't appreciate more power than it 'needs'.

It's a relative thing anyway - as long as you are happy with the sound I would take too much notice of what other people think.

Andrew Everard:I don't think I even understand your post, so no, I don't agree with it...

With you on that one, Andrew.

I'll give it a go, anyway.

If the Proacs the OP is speaking about, and they are high sensitivity, generally speaking, you'll need a lower powered amp. You will find that the "high" db'd speakers usually distort quicker than a monitor of lower db's. Speaking from personal experience, my Wharfedale E20's db rating was 96, thus they were specifically designed for valve or tube amps which are traditionally lower powered.

Put that into layman's terms, connect them to my A65 and it sounds like I have a 100 watt amp, rarely having the volume knob above 7 'o' clock. Great for entertaining the neighbours.....but that's all.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

Andrew Everard:I don't think I even understand your post, so no, I don't agree with it...

If the Proacs the OP is speaking about, and they are high sensitivity, generally speaking, you'll need a lower powered amp. You will find that the "high" db'd speakers usually distort quicker than a monitor of lower db's. Speaking from personal experience, my Wharfedale E20's db rating was 96, thus they were specifically designed for valve or tube amps which are traditionally lower powered.

Put that into layman's terms, connect them to my A65 and it sounds like I have a 100 watt amp, rarely having the volume knob above 7 'o' clock. Great for entertaining the neighbours.....but that's all.

sorry for my ignorance, but am a bit confused ... so based on what I have read, it's not good to have one of those really powerfull amps of 200 watts or more (such as Krell or Bryston) connected to normal speakers?

I have found that with my amp of 100 watts @ 8 ohms, my speakers really come alive ... I rarely go over the 8 o'clock position on the volume control... the recommendations by B&W is that the speakers should use an amp of 30-50 watts @ 8 ohm

with a less powerfull amp, my speakers do not perform as well (pioneer a-400 which pushes out 60 watts @ 8 ohm) ...

that is my experience

dim_span:plastic penguin:

sorry for my ignorance, but am a bit confused ... so based on what I have read, it's not good to have one of those really powerfull amps of 200 watts or more (such as Krell or Bryston) connected to normal speakers?

I have found that with my amp of 100 watts @ 8 ohms, my speakers really come alive ... I rarely go over the 8 o'clock position on the volume control... the recommendations by B&W is that the speakers should use an amp of 30-50 watts @ 8 ohm

with a less powerfull amp, my speakers do not perform as well (pioneer a-400 which pushes out 60 watts @ 8 ohm) ...

that is my experience

Define normal speakers, dim_span?

I suppose it depend what the application is, wot are they being used for? or wot d'ya want to achieve?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:dim_span:plastic penguin:

that is my experience

I suppose it depend what the application is, wot are they being used for? or wot d'ya want to achieve?

ok .... normal speakers like mine ... B&W DM2 ... does that mean I cannot or should not use an amp of 200 watts @ 8 ohms?

dim_span:plastic penguin:dim_span:plastic penguin:

that is my experience

ok .... normal speakers like mine ... B&W DM2 ... does that mean I cannot or should not use an amp of 200 watts @ 8 ohms?

No, course not.

A

Anonymous

Mike_Schmidt:Im bringing this one back, is there any truth that since my Proacs have a high impedence that my parasound power amp is overkill and I cannot really open the amp up since Iam done at 10'oclock on my preamp.

Say what Canuck guy?
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts