Do Spendor SA 1 speakers have next to no bass?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Honestly believe that room acoustics plays a fairly hefty part in the end game: No way, with my lush sounding room would I consider Sonus Faber or other creamy sounding speakers. I think the room would render the whole presentaion too gloopy... that's why Spendors have been off list.

+1

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Honestly believe that room acoustics plays a fairly hefty part in the end game: No way, with my lush sounding room would I consider Sonus Faber or other creamy sounding speakers. I think the room would render the whole presentaion too gloopy... that's why Spendors have been off list.

Agreed 100%

that is why i am currently treating my room. I have my rockwool and fibreglass now; will install shortly.

Despite having 2 mattresses in the room, a big cuboard, printer, radiator etc the room is bright.

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
keenly said:
CnoEvil said:
keenly said:
I thought Kef are bright in general? 2 seperate dealers have said to me the R series is still bright. I have considered them though. I can audition the LS50s shortly.

"Bright" can mean different things to different people, so it's always worth checking it out for yourself (harsh is the one to avoid).

The R Series sound quite different to previous Kefs and imo are not bright, though the LS50s are more forward and revealing than the R Series. I have yet to hear of anyone who has disliked them, which is a good sign....though if you do happen to find them too bright, Spendor would be the way forward.

Whatever happens, report back with how you get on.

Cno

I think generally people understand what bright speakers mean but to me the main thing is the vocals spitting at me. Another example is horn or harmonica solos piercing the ears. I prefer warm smooth sunds ideally with juicy, thick bass!

Hi keenly

In which case i think that you should also try some Dynaudio speakers. I don't find their bass to be thick but i find Dynaudio's to have (amongst other qualities) a rich, weighty, detailed, dynamic and full bodied presentation. DM 2/7's, Excite X12's or if you're happy with used/discontinued speakers then Focus 110's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Would love to listen to the Focus 110 with my receiver but nowhere near me has them. Can't make it up to Derby i am afraid; too far.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
keenly said:
I think generally people understand what bright speakers mean but to me the main thing is the vocals spitting at me. Another example is horn or harmonica solos piercing the ears. I prefer warm smooth sunds ideally with juicy, thick bass!

This is another one of those subjective things that divides opinion. One thing we shouldn't get mixed up is 'bright' and 'harsh'. Bright means the treble is quite energetic, but once that treble becomes annoying or grating on the ear, it then becomes harsh. I think some people hear a CD with a harsh note on it (mastered that way) and label a speaker bright (intending to mean harsh), which of course, isn't the fault of the speaker. There's so many variables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts