Do Spendor SA 1 speakers have next to no bass?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am eager to buy some buy have nowhere to audition. I was wondering can you actually hear the bass?

What level of bass would these compare to? example would they have mor ebas sthan the MA BX1s?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
keenly said:
I am eager to buy some buy have nowhere to audition. I was wondering can you actually hear the bass?

What level of bass would these compare to? example would they have mor ebas sthan the MA BX1s?

This is a hard question to answer as there are so many variables (positioning, amp, room size, cables, decor, personal preference etc)....but (imo) with the right amp and in a small room, they have reasonable bass (depending on personal taste).

A

Anonymous

amp Marantz SR 7005 125w Room 9ft W 9ft H 14L.

Have you heard the MA RX1s? Would the Spendor bass be much less?

I am rushing with this as i know somewhere that has them for £899 but i would have to buy without listening.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The SR7005 is an AV amp, so is this the heart of a 2 channel system, or are the SA1s going to provide the Front L&R channels of a HT system as well?

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
The SR7005 is an AV amp, so is this the heart of a 2 channel system, or are the SA1s going to provide the Front L&R channels of a HT system as well?

yes later i will add the center and i have some bx1s as rears.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
keenly said:
CnoEvil said:

Having the SA1s would tie you into the fairly expensive Spendor C5.2 for the centre. Now whereas the SA1s are my favorite small speaker (for a small room) in a 2 channel set up, they wouldn't (imo) be exciting enough for HT, unless you like it to sound fairly smooth and musical.

The "Sealed Box" Spendors are a smaller speaker than the "Reflex Loaded" RX1s, so I would expect the bass to be deeper and more prominent in the latter, but maybe faster and more accurate in the SA1s.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
As has been said other speakers will generate more bass than SA1's but the bass you get from the SA1's is accurate and tuneful with the correct amplification. For an HT system you would likely need a sub as well. I have used my SA1's in an HT system for about a year but with no sub. I have been missing the bass with movies and music so have switched to some older floor standing speakers that I have spare. I rarely use my HT system for various reasons so have mainly listened to the SA1's for music. They do many things very well and have never been fatiguing, and the longer you listen the better they become. They do however have an issue with producing low end bass.

Note: for centre channel Spendor also do the cheaper CR3.

Hi keenly

ATC's SCM11 monitors. No boom, bloom, gloom or bling. Instead a superbly balanced, controlled, natural and uncoloured reproduction :)

Btw, ATC also offer C1C and C3C centre monitors to compliment Entry Series main monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

keenly said:

Spendor SA-1 are superb speakers, but their achilles heel is the lack of bass. Which isn't surprising given they are sealed cabinets... the bass they do possess is well defined. If you're looking at small speakers that packs a (genuine) punch, then PMC DB1is should be the ticket. Personally, pound-for-pound DB1i offer a better all-round performance.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
keenly said:

Quantity of bass is fairly similar to the BX1's, but the definition and speed of that bass will be quite different. Base from speakers this size, and using a similarly sized bass driver will generally have a similar quantity of bass, but quality of the drive units, and the overall design of the speaker can lead to marked differences. One aspect of the design is the cabinet. Speakers like the RX1 that has been mentioned rely on a ported cabinet in order to improve efficiency and make the speaker sound like the bass goes lower than it actually does. This is a common practice these days. The SA1's have gone for a more old school approach whereby the cabinet is sealed. This design doesn't enhance lower bass, but does provide a smooth roll off and a better balanced presentation, with the downside of being less efficient (needing an amplifier with more power).

You'll also find that midrange and treble will differ quite a lot compared to the BX1's. The SA1's will be smoother, and more refined in the top end, with midrange being cleaner with better definition. They'll also sound more three dimensional, as better quality speakers generally add less into the resulting sound due to a number of reasons. Just play a well recorded piece of piano music through both speakers and you'll hear quite a difference.

If you're just after quantity, go for a bigger speaker with bigger bass units like the RX1's or RX2's, but if you're after better quality for the same money, smaller speakers are usually a better bet. I'm guessing you haven't heard any speakers like the SA1's, so I'd recommend popping into your local dealer and trying out a couple of standmount speakers at differing prices so you can get first hand experience of what to expect.

The SA1's will be fine in a room of your size, but will be more critical of accompanying amplification.

A

Anonymous

[/quote]

Spendor SA-1 are superb speakers, but their achilles heel is the lack of bass. Which isn't surprising given they are sealed cabinets... the bass they do possess is well defined. If you're looking at small speakers that packs a (genuine) punch, then PMC DB1is should be the ticket. Personally, pound-for-pound DB1i offer a better all-round performance.

[/quote]

I have looked at them too. Are they smooth with vocals? I found the RX 1s a nightmare with sss and ttt. Do they have a matching center?

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
keenly said:
CnoEvil said:

Having the SA1s would tie you into the fairly expensive Spendor C5.2 for the centre. Now whereas the SA1s are my favorite small speaker (for a small room) in a 2 channel set up, they wouldn't (imo) be exciting enough for HT, unless you like it to sound fairly smooth and musical.

The "Sealed Box" Spendors are a smaller speaker than the "Reflex Loaded" RX1s, so I would expect the bass to be deeper and more prominent in the latter, but maybe faster and more accurate in the SA1s.

Yes indeed an expensive center imo. I mainly listen to stereo and surround music. MOvies are second. I have loads of concert dvds, sacds, dvd as etc. Want a huge sound that is smooth.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
keenly said:
Yes indeed an expensive center imo. I mainly listen to stereo and surround music. MOvies are second. I have loads of concert dvds, sacds, dvd as etc. Want a huge sound that is smooth.

Although the SA1s are obviously "Spendor" in the way they sound, they are voiced differently to the A Series. Aside from the more expensive STs, they are my favorite Spendor speakers. They are hugely enjoyable and just have a way of making music engaging....provided they have enough scale. It helps that they sound bigger than they look, provided the room is appropiate.

Spendor do have a smaller centre, but I would worry it mightn't be voiced the same as the SA1s, which may not matter if AV is secondary. If you are getting a reasonable sub, the SA1 will certainly produce enough scale if combined with it.

Now there is another option - The Kef R Series, which are smooth enough for music and lively enough for HT:

R100 (£599) / R300 (£999) / LS50 (£800) + R200C (£649)

Anyway, it's something to think about.

Cno

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
keenly said:

Although the SA1s are obviously "Spendor" in the way they sound, they are voiced differently to the A Series. Aside from the more expensive STs, they are my favorite Spendor speakers. They are hugely enjoyable and just have a way of making music engaging....provided they have enough scale. It helps that they sound bigger than they look, provided the room is appropiate.

Spendor do have a smaller centre, but I would worry it mightn't be voiced the same as the SA1s, which may not matter if AV is secondary. If you are getting a reasonable sub, the SA1 will certainly produce enough scale if combined with it.

Now there is another option - The Kef R Series, which are smooth enough for music and lively enough for HT:

R100 (£599) / R300 (£999) / LS50 (£800) + R200C (£649)

Anyway, it's something to think about.

Cno

I thought Kef are bright in general? 2 seperate dealers have said to me the R series is still bright. I have considered them though. I can audition the LS50s shortly.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
keenly said:
I thought Kef are bright in general? 2 seperate dealers have said to me the R series is still bright. I have considered them though. I can audition the LS50s shortly.

"Bright" can mean different things to different people, so it's always worth checking it out for yourself (harsh is the one to avoid).

The R Series sound quite different to previous Kefs and imo are not bright, though the LS50s are more forward and revealing than the R Series. I have yet to hear of anyone who has disliked them, which is a good sign....though if you do happen to find them too bright, Spendor would be the way forward.

Whatever happens, report back with how you get on.

Cno

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
keenly said:

"Bright" can mean different things to different people, so it's always worth checking it out for yourself (harsh is the one to avoid).

The R Series sound quite different to previous Kefs and imo are not bright, though the LS50s are more forward and revealing than the R Series. I have yet to hear of anyone who has disliked them, which is a good sign....though if you do happen to find them too bright, Spendor would be the way forward.

Cno

I think generally people understand what bright speakers mean but to me the main thing is the vocals spitting at me. Another example is horn or harmonica solos piercing the ears. I prefer warm smooth sunds ideally with juicy, thick bass!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
keenly said:
I prefer warm smooth sunds ideally with juicy, thick bass!

That seems to describe the Kef R300's nicely, I think you need to give them a listen. Personally I think they are great, at least the two times I heard them. Spendor are smoother, for sure, and I wouldn't swap my SA1's for the kef's in combination with my Cyrus amp, but in the right system I think they are hard to beat.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
keenly said:
I think generally people understand what bright speakers mean but to me the main thing is the vocals spitting at me.

In a very general sense you're probably right, but I've been on here long enough to realize that one person's bright, is another person's neutral (and vica versa).....and seen mistakes made when speakers have been bought blind on a subjective description.

Honestly believe that room acoustics plays a fairly hefty part in the end game: No way, with my lush sounding room would I consider Sonus Faber or other creamy sounding speakers. I think the room would render the whole presentaion too gloopy... that's why Spendors have been off list.

keenly said:
CnoEvil said:
keenly said:

Cno

I think generally people understand what bright speakers mean but to me the main thing is the vocals spitting at me. Another example is horn or harmonica solos piercing the ears. I prefer warm smooth sunds ideally with juicy, thick bass!

Hi keenly

In which case i think that you should also try some Dynaudio speakers. I don't find their bass to be thick but i find Dynaudio's to have (amongst other qualities) a rich, weighty, detailed, dynamic and full bodied presentation. DM 2/7's, Excite X12's or if you're happy with used/discontinued speakers then Focus 110's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts