distorted drums

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The drums on The Flaming Lips` album The Soft Bulletin sound extremely distorted, especially on the first track Race for the Prize. Just wanted to make sure that they are meant to sound this way. The thing is, just to compare, I listened to the same track on WE7.com and the drums don`t sound half as bad. Can anyone confirm that their copy of the album sounds the same. Has anyone ever experienced a 'dud' cd, or is this impossible?

A

Anonymous

I've just had a listen to it and I think they're supposed to be like that. They only sound like that on the intro piece (and equivalent bits) of that track and are much more normal in the verses. Track 12 (virtually the same track) doesn't have that same raw sound. I think it was done on purpose to sound a bit "live" as if there's one mic in a hall or something, perhaps to show a difference when they use more electronic sounding drums. It is a loud album though so I suppose it's possible some clipping may have occurred but it seems unlikely as most of the rest of the album isn't like that.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I get there in the end, daveyjay. I've got the CD (and a fine album it is too) and it's an HDCD - at several points the drum tracks are very overdriven, and I think it's purely deliberate. They obviously like the way it sounds...

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that, chaps. I was beginning to think I`d asked a really daft question. I thought that they probably meant the drums to sound the way they do, but I just wanted to check. The Soft Bulletin is indeed a fine album.

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
haha Sometimes i crap myself when i get a new CD and something sounds "Different" or "odd" and i always go back to MY reference infected mushroom CD to see if ive broken something. I dont like it when tracks have distortion added as an affect :-(

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
i didn't doubt it for a second!! Fortunately the rest of the album lacks distortion and is all the better for it - I have always thought that 'Race for the prize' is probably one of the weaker songs on the album although it was great live as their opening crowd pleaser.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts