Disposing of old disk from NAS

scene

So I've just replaced one of the disks in my NAS - as it was failing to pass a SMART test.

Question is - what do I do with the old disk - it's got lots of stuff on it that's personal (pictures, documents, etc.) and copyrighted (CD rips, etc) - so can't just recycle it. Any recommendations - loath to use a sledgehammer on it...

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I would think your personal privacy outweighs any benefit of recycling. Maybe the electronics could be recycled but there is surely little value in the actual discs beyond metal recycling. Get yr sledgehammer out BUT remember health & safety and wear full protective clothing inc., goggles, gloves & body suit. Please be aware of pets & children.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I would think your personal privacy outweighs any benefit of recycling. Maybe the electronics could be recycled but there is surely little value in the actual discs beyond metal recycling. Get yr sledgehammer out BUT remember health & safety and wear full protective clothing inc., goggles, gloves & body suit. Please be aware of pets & children.

:rofl:

scene

RobinKidderminster said:

Tempted as I am occasionally to use a sledgehammer on my children, I have resisted so far... :mad:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
A Very large magnet followed by a Sledgehammer was what we used to do at work a few years back, you want to be sure and totally knackering the disk is as good a way as any.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
scene said:
Question is - what do I do with the old disk - it's got lots of stuff on it that's personal (pictures, documents, etc.) and copyrighted (CD rips, etc) - so can't just recycle it. Any recommendations - loath to use a sledgehammer on it...

Put the word out that it's got some stuff on it Edward Snowden sent you – I'm sure you'll find some nice chaps will pop round and dispose of it for you :rofl:

scene

spiny norman said:
scene said:

Put the word out that it's got some stuff on it Edward Snowden sent you – I'm sure you'll find some nice chaps will pop round and dispose of it for you :rofl:

... and strangely there were no more posts from scene after this ... :eek:

scene

The_Lhc said:
A Very large magnet followed by a Sledgehammer was what we used to do at work a few years back, you want to be sure and totally knackering the disk is as good a way as any.

So:

1. Remove physical disk from enclosure

2. Use large electromagnet on physical disk (note to self: see if MRI scanner nearby, otherwise arrange trip to CERN...)

3. Buy a Blendtec blender and post amusing video of disk blending...

Send scrap to recycling.

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy said:
If it is the original netgear one, are you sure it is out of warranty? I got mine replaced FOC a couple of months ago by Netgear UK.

I suspect you got yours around the same time as me.

It's the "free" extra one they gave out under the offer to get a second disk - so I have no idea what sort of warranty it's under...

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
scene said:
So I've just replaced one of the disks in my NAS - as it was failing to pass a SMART test.

Just run dban or something on it then you can sell it/pass it on to a friend.

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy said:
Initial investigation shows a 3 year warranty. When did you buy?

Good question rgd - was part of the "10 year anniversary plan". That was May 2010 - but can't help but think I bought the NAS in 2011 - now I'll have to go and find some paperwork...

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Scene, I managed to open the case of my drive, and just used an angle grinder across both surfaces before binning it all. I'd have thought that coarse sandpaper, or a file or any method of scoring the surface would prevent anyone reading it? I guess that the hammer would open the case, but a hacksaw might be better?

MadSquirrel

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Assuming the disk will actually spin up, download a copy of Hiron's Boot CD, burn the ISO to a blank CD (or use a piece of software called Rufus to make a bootable USB stick). Boot from this, run DBAN (Darik's Boot And Nuke) from HBCD.

On a drive less than about 10 years old (which will use perpendicular rather than linear recording) you only need to do one pass. Older drives that used linear recording would probably need up to 7 passes to completely obliterate any residual data caused by the drive heads mis-tracking, but this is no longer an issue. (Basically if your disk was made post-2003 and has a capacity over about 80GB it's probably perpendicular recording.)

This will securely destroy any data on the disk without physically damaging it. If the disk is knackered then you can safely send it for recycling without worrying about someone retrieving your, *ahem* "personal" data from it. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts