Dipole speakers

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Who has dipole speakers? And what are your experiences?

At the moment i have 'Peitho 303' (from Holland), which is a semi dipole. It has a large opening (no bass-port!) at the back, right after the mid/woofer. It says that it's like a dipole up to 4kHz. (Years ago i had 'Magnepans SMGa').

I use a good valve-amp with it.

The sound is very open/free/3 dimensional/exciting. It lacks real thumping bass, but it still produces very deep precise bass, and almost no 'booming bass'.

The rest of the spectrum is wonderfully open, clean and silky (no sharp ss-es).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
My last serious speakers were dipoles, panals about 5ft high and the best part of 3ft wide.

Like this...

675539-martin_logan_cls_upgraded_with_cls_iiz_panels_90hrs_run_time_superb.jpg

Not dissimilar to my setup with large bay windows behind. My speakers were further into the room though, and the subs further forward still.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rethep,

I have Maggies in my main system: MMGs, with active XO, and cut off at 100 Hz, where my 15” Rythmik sub takes over. Very happy with the result. So much so that I recently scored me a pair of SH Maggie .7s to replace the MMGs (I thought my current set-up would cure upgraditis: NOT!).

The limited dynamic range of planar magnetics is in my case greatly bettered by adding the sub. The sub can keep up pretty well with the main speakers’ speed too, I must say.

A very addictive sound indeed. And the speakers are light enough to reposition as needed (‘actively’ listening or background music), which is a great bonus, WAF-wise.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Nice that picture (Davedotco). But big they are. And nice your story (DocG). Advantage of not so strong bass is that i can paly rather loud without complaints from neighbours.

In the end my set still goes as low as 35 Hz. It gives a nice combination of indirect sound but very precise imaging.

And yes, i had KEF's some 35 years ago (104 aB).

I had always dreamed of getting electrostatic speakers one day. That dream came true less than a year ago.

I wrote at some length how it turned out, here:- https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/floorstanders-around-ps3000-tale-two-speakers

insider9

I'd love a pair of electrostats. Unfortunately with my musical taste. I'm guessing it would have to be for a second system. They're not the easiest to accommodate due to space restrictions. Not sure if this year but next year for sure.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Rethep said:
To all: what amps do you use? I use a very good tube-amp which i.m.o. enhances the dipole sound. I trade a little of bass-amount for a huge clear 3d soundstage.

I drive mine with Hypex Ncore amps. For my speakers’ flat 4 Ohm resistive load, the amps deliver 400 W per driver: the iron fist approach *biggrin*

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
To all: what amps do you use? I use a very good tube-amp which i.m.o. enhances the dipole sound. I trade a little of bass-amount for a huge clear 3d soundstage.

Mine have no difficult placement. I think that is because of the semi dipole they are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts