Digital room correction

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm deeply impressed by the B&O BeoLab5 speakers, by their price ticket, but even more so by their performance. To me their major surplus value lies in the automated speaker calibration, which rather efficiently cancels out the effect of the room they are in, and of their position versus walls and corners (thus augmenting their WAF).

I read the NAD DD 390 amp has a likewise feature.

My question: is there something like a "stand alone automated digital room correction device", that can be linked in the chain, somewhere between source and speakers? Examples? Any experience?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
I'm deeply impressed by the B&O BeoLab5 speakers, by their price ticket, but even more so by their performance. To me their major surplus value lies in the automated speaker calibration, which rather efficiently cancels out the effect of the room they are in, and of their position versus walls and corners (thus augmenting their WAF).

My question: is there something like a "stand alone automated digital room correction device", that can be linked in the chain, somewhere between source and speakers? Examples? Any experience?

Yes look here;

http://www.dspeaker.com/

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Going a little OT & not room correction exactly, I'm amazed that stereo amps (that I know of) dont offer speaker set up similar to an AVR.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
DocG said:

Yes look here;

Thanks Mac,

Looks like what I thought of. Any experience with the device? With its digital in and outputs, I guess you can link it between transport and DAC? I'll look a little deeper into it.

I read you had some bass issues yourself... Or are they solved with your new amp?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Macspur said:
DocG said:

Yes look here;

Thanks Mac,

Looks like what I thought of. Any experience with the device? With its digital in and outputs, I guess you can link it between transport and DAC? I'll look a little deeper into it.

I read you had some bass issues yourself... Or are they solved with your new amp?

No, I never got to try it, but from what I've read and heard from others, it sounds ideal and not overly expensive either.

The new amp, having tone controls and more grip on the speakers, has certainly helped with the base issue.

I believe Rick from Musicraft has just started stocking the antimode, might be worth contacting him.

Mac

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
No, I never got to try it, but from what I've read and heard from others, it sounds ideal and not overly expensive either.

The new amp, having tone controls and more grip on the speakers, has certainly helped with the base issue.

I believe Rick from Musicraft has just started stocking the antimode, might be worth contacting him.

Mac

I mailed the distributor this afternoon, and the dealer for Belgium happens to be based near Ghent; he invited me for a listen already! Will do!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
pgoody said:
http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/processors/rp-1/product

Thanks, P.

Looks really sofisticated! The price too (three antimodes for one lyngdorf), but it may be money well spent. Did you hear the effect yourself? I'll keep it in the back of my head, should the antimode appear underwhelming. :)

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Kevin De Bruyne; yes or no?

Don't XTZ do one quite cheap? It may just be analysing software though with no actual room correction, seems quite popular thou.

robhifi

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, both Accuphase and Mcintosh have " Digital room correction' devices.
The Accuphase device is the more interesting because it actually allows you to customise , with a tablet pen, the curve of the sound output line (sorry, there should be technical term for that) to the way you like.

But don't get excited because both devices are meant for ultra high-end systems and I won't be surprised if they are sold for over 10k pounds in the UK.

XTZ has a software + microphone package which is for sound output monitoring and analysis, but modification is not possible.

The best thing to do, get a Behringer Ultra Cruve Pro DEQ2496. It's a German designed , China made pro device with DAC, equalizer and real time room effect analysis and modification. The cost here in China is around 400 pounds. In my opinion, it's a toy worth owning if you want to have a taste without spending a fortune.

Hope my suggestions will help. :grin:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
robhifi said:
As far as I know, both Accuphase and Mcintosh have " Digital room correction' devices. The Accuphase device is the more interesting because it actually allows you to customise , with a tablet pen, the curve of the sound output line (sorry, there should be technical term for that) to the way you like. But don't get excited because both devices are meant for ultra high-end systems and I won't be surprised if they are sold for over 10k pounds in the UK. XTZ has a software + microphone package which is for sound output monitoring and analysis, but modification is not possible. The best thing to do, get a Behringer Ultra Cruve Pro DEQ2496. It's a German designed , China made pro device with DAC, equalizer and real time room effect analysis and modification. The cost here in China is around 400 pounds. In my opinion, it's a toy worth owning if you want to have a taste without spending a fortune. Hope my suggestions will help. :grin:

Hi Rob,

£10k would be over the top, as far as I'm concerned.

The XTZ does not modify, so won't help me.

The Beringer device sells at €320, and there is several shops selling it nearby. I'll seek some more information as to what it can and can't do. Just hope it's not too complicated in use (I'm an utter layman in this). I'll report back as soon as I have more info. Thanks, anyway! :cheers:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
bluedroog said:
Kevin De Bruyne; yes or no?

Don't XTZ do one quite cheap? It may just be analysing software though with no actual room correction, seems quite popular thou.

Sorry, Bluedroog. I missed your post.

This AntiMode dealer, you mean? No, it's not Kevin De Bruyne, it's Wouter De Raeve, in Melle.

pgoody

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I have not heard it yet. And yes, it is quite expensive. I will give it a try when I have moved to a more permanent residence (I am in the last year of medical school so there isn't a lot of time for music anyway at the moment :wall: ) But on paper the Lyngdorf looks very nice and I have read quite a few very good reviews.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Another option, not sure of the cost:

http://www.deqx.com/product-deqxmate-overview.php

John Atkinson was clearly impressed by this system. Worth checking out.

It does involve an extra analogue --> digital --> analogue conversion, though...

Keep 'em coming, guys! :cheer:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I was having a chat with one of the guys from JL Audio about various things. Asked him about his opinion on the DSPeaker Antimode & he was fairly enthusiastic about the unit. But felt that the DEQX was a much better proposition.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Room equalisation wizard is an excellent free software package. Along with good graphics and measurements, it will produce FIR files in a format that many dsp equalisation boxes can use. Just google it to get to the download page.

For hardware, there is a great group out of Hong Kong producing some innovative products. Google 'minidsp' and have a look. My son is building a pair of active speakers using dsp crossovers and class d amps based on their products.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
abacus said:
Neuphonix said:
Another option, not sure of the cost:

http://www.deqx.com/product-deqxmate-overview.php

UK Prices http://www.rcblogic.co.uk/s-49-room-correction-crossovers.aspx

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Those prices are for the HDP-4 & express which are a pre-amp with the room correction function built in.

The link I originally posted was for the DEQX-Mate which is the room processing only, no pre-amp as such. You would have to think that it should be cheaper given it stripped back feature set?

Mix

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
You can also use your PC as a "stand-alone automated digital room correction device" (see Auto EQ at http://mathaudio.com).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts