Digital against CD for me

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
It Matters to me when i buy music who is playing the music. I like To see this information I am a jazz fan and I will avoid anything with drummer Philly Joe Jones for example. I found to my expense even buying the Cd's on line from Amazon that not actually holding the Cd's to see who is playing before purchase is a big minus for me. let alone buying digital albums. I enjoy the the whole album thing With Cd and LP's for the covers and having this information.

Another thing is I can play all my albums which I rip to my portable hard drive as soon as purchased. for a back up. Im Finding the bug bearer of playing the hard drive through my DVD player Pioneer BDP-170 is i have over two thousand albums on it is the scrolling through the digital files laborious through the DVD player.

Am I Alone with these observations ?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
or the first one, possibly yes to a certain degree. Why should a person stop you enjoying the music? I kind of know what you are saying, but let's be honest, if we were to pick out personal flaws with musicians and use that as a reason not to listen to their music, then there wouldn't be that much music left ;)

As for the second one, yes, you're not alone. That's one of the reasons why streamers and the like exist as DVD and Blu ray players were never really designed to properly handle the amount of tracks a hard drive can hold. It's more of an add on, then an actual design implementation.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
or the first one, possibly yes to a certain degree. Why should a person stop you enjoying the music?

I do know what he's saying to be fair, my favourite group currently is Medeski, Martin and Wood. John Medeski the keyboard player is a genius as far as I'm concerned, Chris Wood the bassist is fine but I really don't rate Billy Martin the drummer at all, certainly not as much as he does at any rate, I've got a couple of live tracks of theirs that he does drum solos on and frankly, they're laughable, it's just randomly bashing everything in front of him, I can do that, it doesn't require any talent. The studio tracks are fine, it doesn't detract from the music particularly but the dislike is always in the back of my mind.

As for the second one, yes, you're not alone. That's one of the reasons why streamers and the like exist as DVD and Blu ray players were never really designed to properly handle the amount of tracks a hard drive can hold. It's more of an add on, then an actual design implementation.

Quite, if you want to stream digital music files use a digital music file streamer, not a DVD player, right tool for the right job and all that.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I do know what he's saying to be fair, my favourite group currently is Medeski, Martin and Wood. John Medeski the keyboard player is a genius as far as I'm concerned, Chris Wood the bassist is fine but I really don't rate Billy Martin the drummer at all, certainly not as much as he does at any rate, I've got a couple of live tracks of theirs that he does drum solos on and frankly, they're laughable, it's just randomly bashing everything in front of him, I can do that, it doesn't require any talent. The studio tracks are fine, it doesn't detract from the music particularly but the dislike is always in the back of my mind..

[/quote]

yeh, I kind of get that (and ammended my post to reflect that) but would you actively search out billy martin to see if he was on a track and then not listen to just because of that? Who knows, the next track one listens to him on might be the most awesome track ever.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
The_Lhc said:
I do know what he's saying to be fair, my favourite group currently is Medeski, Martin and Wood. John Medeski the keyboard player is a genius as far as I'm concerned, Chris Wood the bassist is fine but I really don't rate Billy Martin the drummer at all, certainly not as much as he does at any rate, I've got a couple of live tracks of theirs that he does drum solos on and frankly, they're laughable, it's just randomly bashing everything in front of him, I can do that, it doesn't require any talent. The studio tracks are fine, it doesn't detract from the music particularly but the dislike is always in the back of my mind..

yeh, I kind of get that (and ammended my post to reflect that) but would you actively search out billy martin to see if he was on a track and then not listen to just because of that? Who knows, the next track one listens to him on might be the most awesome track ever.

Well, I don't really go for his "solo" stuff or much of his collaborations with other artists (of which there are many), no, whereas I do tend to check out everything John Medeski does either solo or in collaboration (which can be VERY different, check out DRKWAV compared to A Different Time, poles apart). I wouldn't check a track to see if he was playing on something first, no but then I'd likely only hear about something like that because he's playing on it and I'm on their mailing list, so it's a difficult question to answer really.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I am not saying that Phil Collins isn't a good Drummer but I always know when he is drumming whoever he is drumming for some time's his signiture spoils some music for me although it would not put me off buying/listening to some thing he is on

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
[font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][style="font-size: 13pt"]Do you ever feel fatigued listning to audio files? I heard a lot today . My files are mostly WMA or MP3 ripped at 128 Listening Using a portable hard drive the pioneer BDP 170 +Cambridge Dac magic + Roksan K2 +Tannoy V4. What the trouble is I think. Not all Cd's are good quality Only the well recorded ones sound good. My musical tastes is huge though Im at an age where I like a lot of jazz. Today was a mixture between Miles Davis Kind of Blue +Dixi Chicks Taking The long way home + some Diana Krall: Victoria Williams Water To Drink: Then The Jayhawks Hollywood Town Hall. I felt musically fatigued by the actual audio file sound. I love all my choices of music but I could not wait to get back to the sound of a CD. [/font][/style]

abacus

dexxas said:
Do you ever feel fatigued listning to audio files? I heard a lot today . My files are mostly WMA or MP3 ripped at 128 Listening Using a portable hard drive the pioneer BDP 170 +Cambridge Dac magic + Roksan K2 +Tannoy V4. What the trouble is I think. Not all Cd's are good quality Only the well recorded ones sound good. My musical tastes is huge though Im at an age where I like a lot of jazz. Today was a mixture between Miles Davis Kind of Blue +Dixi Chicks Taking The long way home + some Diana Krall: Victoria Williams Water To Drink: Then The Jayhawks Hollywood Town Hall. I felt musically fatigued by the actual audio file sound. I love all my choices of music but I could not wait to get back to the sound of a CD.

I am not surprised the ripped files don't sound that good, as 128 is way too low for use in anything other than a noisy car, they should be at least 256, or better still FLAC files (Which are lossless) if you want to have the same quality as the original.

Bill

abacus

dexxas said:
Do you ever feel fatigued listning to audio files? I heard a lot today . My files are mostly WMA or MP3 ripped at 128 Listening Using a portable hard drive the pioneer BDP 170 +Cambridge Dac magic + Roksan K2 +Tannoy V4. What the trouble is I think. Not all Cd's are good quality Only the well recorded ones sound good. My musical tastes is huge though Im at an age where I like a lot of jazz. Today was a mixture between Miles Davis Kind of Blue +Dixi Chicks Taking The long way home + some Diana Krall: Victoria Williams Water To Drink: Then The Jayhawks Hollywood Town Hall. I felt musically fatigued by the actual audio file sound. I love all my choices of music but I could not wait to get back to the sound of a CD.

I am not surprised the ripped files don't sound that good, as 128 is way too low for use in anything other than a noisy car, they should be at least 256, or better still FLAC files (Which are lossless) if you want to have the same quality as the original.

Bill

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
Big huge Thanks for that Bill. I downloaded DVDvideos http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/ Made my self a flac folder on my portable H/D such a good program to use I paid them the £20 . Fun to use Ive been foraging in my hard drive turning all my favourite albums into flac files. Playing them through The Pionner BDP-170 Sounds superb

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
dexxas said:
Fun to use Ive been foraging in my hard drive turning all my favourite albums into flac files.

I hope you mean you are re-ripping the music to FLAC from the original CDs, and not just turning your MP3s into FLAC files: if the latter, all you are doing is creating bigger files able to sound no better than your MP3s.

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
Edit 07/03/2015 @23:01

Thanks for the Tip above. i purchased Db poweramp cd ripper. rips Cd's to flac it does everything wmp does rip wise with the folders. we see how it goes.

Not a problem now I had one with exact audio copy which i since edited

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
works well good find i installed this into an asus notebook windows 8.1 . Works well

what you do on install. is ignore all warnings windows 8 gives you allow it to install

What i have on my portable hard drives i a have Flac folder. You play the music of your choice from the folder windows media player will open. . Since posting this I found out it also works well with windows 7

Tip click the WMP tag box red cross in the corner if it takes to long click fla in the list of options

install both the codec + WMPTagPlus-2.5

http://blog.dabasinskas.net/enable-flac-support-on-windows-8/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts