Devine Inspiration

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm just back from an unusual assignment.....sorting the Parish Priest with a sound system.

Living next door to the Chapel, we have struck up a friendship with the local representative of God (in a very atheist sort of way). When in for the odd coffee, he was particularly struck by how enjoyable our system sounded and wanted to know if he could put something together, but for a bit less....he had a budget of little over £2k. He wanted a streamer and the ability to plug his TV/DVD/Skybox etc into it...I could feel a trip to Lyric coming on.

My plan was to have a head to head with a Linn Sneaky DSM and a Naim UnitiLite, with speakers consisting of Concept 20s, LS50s and the new Rega Standmounts. I was also going to throw in the Naim Mu-so, in case simplicity was the answer.

Anyway, off we set...Myself, Mrs Cno and the Parish Priest....on a Hifi pilgrimage.

An hour and a half later, were were sat, Cappuccinos in hand and listening to a Beethoven violin concerto coming from the Naim Mu-so. It was OK, but we missed the big 3D image projected by a well set up 2 channel system.

Next up was the UnitiLite with some Concept 20s. Big improvement. Much more involving and a proper Soundfield. Those little Q Acoustics are the best speakers I've heard in their price range, but I felt they were a little to small for the room they'd be going in.

We then put the LS50s on the end of the Naim....again, big improvement, with more of everything. It had the typical Naim traits, where it was full of drive, but for my taste, it slapped you about the face with the music and got a little harsh when the volume was turned up a bit.....I kept my views to myself though, as I didn't want to influence the decision.

We then swopped to the Linn, with the LS50s. The music lost a little drive but gained refinement and to these ears, sounded more natural, especially with piano.

After a variety of pieces, "The Good Father" declared that he found the Linn more relaxing and musically involving.....and that the LS50s were at the top of his list.

Finally, before committing, we thought we would try the new Regas with the Linn, as they were the same price as the Kefs.

From the first note, we were all a bit underwhelmed. They were pleasant, but lost much of the detail, clarity and excitement of the LS50s. As Mrs Cno aptly put, they sounded like a cheaper speaker.

So job done....Linn Sneaky DSM and Kef LS50s ordered up. We all seemed pretty much in agreement about what we heard and what we preferred. Both myself and Mrs. Cno kept our opinions to ourselves until the decision had been made.

A big thanks to Michael of Lyric for his patience.

Great write up, Cno, and very enlightening!

Bit surprised the Sneaky had enough ooomph for the KEFs, but that's why listening is so important (as we are always saying here!). I bet both will still be going strong in ten or fifteen years, and still worth a fair bit secondhand.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The DSM version has a little more power than the normal version. It won't give you disco levels, but is adequate for sensible listening....and extra amplification can be added at a later date, if necessary.

daveh75

Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_%281568%29_The_Blind_Leading_the_Blind.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Bit surprised the Sneaky had enough ooomph for the KEFs, but that's why listening is so important (as we are always saying here!). I bet both will still be going strong in ten or fifteen years, and still worth a fair bit secondhand.

The Sneaky is 33W per channel, with a single IC for the amplification duties. Something you find in your LG TV these days. I doubt it will be worth anything when it ages, but who knows. Flatearths have gone digital!
regular_smile.gif

Is it my perception or is Linn trying to become B&O?

Funnily enough, Vlad, I was thinking that was where Naim is heading. But then these two companies have been connected in various ways since the first soldering iron arrived in Salisbury.

Re the Sneaky, there seems to be a thriving used market on eBay, with several folks appearing to make a decent living selling used Linn and Naim. Most come from nice clean homes, carefully installed, and not thrashed, so are dependable used buys with factories at the ready for upgrades and 'servicing'.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Funnily enough, Vlad, I was thinking that was where Naim is heading. But then these two companies have been connected in various ways since the first soldering iron arrived in Salisbury.

Re the Sneaky, there seems to be a thriving used market on eBay, with several folks appearing to make a decent living selling used Linn and Naim. Most come from nice clean homes, carefully installed, and not thrashed, so are dependable used buys with factories at the ready for upgrades and 'servicing'.

I stand corrected.

I was thinking specifically for a networks streamer with not so impressive amplification becoming a hi-fi classic worthy of lust in 20-40 years from now. Not just Linn but any streamer, can it be something that would interest us in few decades when digital will most likely march on.

But then I thought of B&O, how some of us lust for its industrial designs from the 70s and 80s. Even though it wasn't performance oriented, it had other ergonomic and aesthetic traits. From that POV (and looking at the white stacked Linn boxes) I'm thinking Linn has left the flatearth waters and is strongly headed towards B&O-ish concept of lifestyle + innovation. Naim still feels 20th century to me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Sneaky DSM is a remarkably versatile little thing, with connectivity that includes HDMI sockets, 4 x 33W amps, which can be used to bi-amp, or drive 2 sets of speakers; and a Pre- out that can be used for adding a Sub. When Mr. E reviewed it, he commented on how far the "only 33W" seemed to stretch.

It can be used as a high quality source, or upgraded with the addition of a Power Amp...perfect for chilling out after a hard day in the Parish.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Is the misspelling of "Divine" some sort of occult subliminal messaging? Or is it a bloke or a town in Ireland?
It's a mixture of all 3...and the product of a tired mind....and Devine Cabinets is just down the road from me.

I think I mentioned to you once before, I have an acquaintance with a Klimax system. He uses a Sneaky in the kitchen, and it sounds better than most living room systems. It stands on some isolation widgets that cost more than most streamers, and sits on top of some cupboards!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
I think I mentioned to you once before, I have an acquaintance with a Klimax system.
I remember.

Due to its looks and modest power, the humble Sneaky is the Cinderella of the Linn range.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Linn the Naim surely???

That certainly has a more Dynamik ring to it and adds that bit of Majik to an already Sneaky comment.....even though it may have not been gramatically Akurate, I think the brilliance of your thinking may have reached a Klimax.

*stop*

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
Halo Cno. *ok*

Sure you missed a trick with the Naim: PMC speakers. It's hard to find any faults with that combo.
That's quite a Statement.

I'm not the biggest Naim fan, but there is something about the combo that brings the best out of each component. However, that is based purely on the old 'i' series. Not the heard the Twenty series with Naim, but would guess the overall effect will be the same/similar.

Doesn't any of your local dealers sell PMC? If they do you must hear some. I'm a biased old git but PMCs are pretty much (in my little world) the swiss army knife of speakers. By that I mean I'm yet to hear a bad sound from these speakers, regardless of amplification.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I was not being serious, but carrying on the bonkers direction that this thread has taken...it's all JJB's fault! The Statement I was referring to, was Naim's monster amp.

As for your question, I don't think PMC are sold in NI.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts